OT: Simon & Schuster to launch SF/fantasy imprint

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From Publisher's Weekly:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...o-launch-science-fiction-fantasy-imprint.html

Well, it does have a dedicated Star Trek imprint, but that's pretty much all it's had in SF/F for the past couple of decades. There was an attempt in the early 2000s to diversify into more original SF, including books from Trek authors like Dayton Ward's The Last World War, Keith R.A. DeCandido's Dragon Precinct, and David Mack's The Calling, but that attempt didn't go very far. (TLWW did get a sequel, but KRAD's "Precinct" sequels have been from a smaller press.) It's nice to see that S&S is making a larger effort this time, and I hope it succeeds. Maybe it'll be another opportunity for Trek authors to get original work published.

Since this is a hardcover line, though, and is apparently going to be under S&S rather than Pocket or Gallery, I'd expect that it won't have any impact on the Trek novels themselves. My guess would be that they'll continue under their current imprint. But I don't know for sure.

2. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, why not? Pocket, for a time, ran ST under a "Timescape" imprint. And Ballantine has (or at least had; not sure if they're still using it, and all my ADF Humanx Commonwealth novels are at home) their SF under the "Del Rey" imprint from about the time Log Nine or Log Ten came out.

3. Christopher

^I said why not -- because this is a hardcover imprint and Trek is principally a paperback line, and because it's under S&S in general while Trek is under Pocket. Timescape was an imprint of Pocket, it was a line of paperbacks, and it was created by David G. Hartwell, who was also Pocket's first Trek editor.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect you're right, that it won't have any noticeable effect. I wonder, though, if this could be an impetus to relaunch the hardcover Star Trek fiction line, outside of the occasional movie novelization.

5. Christopher

^That would be nice.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Something for us to pitch to, mind you.

7. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, not "Why not?" as in "Why would it not affect ST?"; rather, as in "why not create a new imprint?"

8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure BDD still publishes the Del Rey imprint. And don't they also still have Bantam Spectra? Or did that vanish long ago, and I'm just behind the times? (A glance at their website leads me to believe they have been merged into something with the ungainly name of Del Rey Spectra.)

S&S doesn't own, but distributes Baen Books' extensive SF & Fantasy line. In fact, Baen was launched to fill the void left behind in Pocket/S&S's portfolio when Timescape was scuttled (and the first attempt at a replacement line was scuppered by SFWA -- something about it being packaged by Scott Meredith, who was also one of the most significant agents for SF & F writers at the time. SFWA protested that it was a conflict of interest. Which it clearly was.).

Penguin Putnam has a number of SF&F lines in its portfolio (including Ace, DAW and Roc.) So I guess S&S can have a third SF&F line (since I definitely count Star Trek as an SF&F line.)

How do they prevent these many corporate children from competing with each other? Or maybe it doesn't really matter, as they're all pretty small fish in the publishing pond.

I think Tor publishes as many books as any half-dozen competitors put together (I might be exaggerating; I haven't done any kind analysis. I'm sure Christopher or Greg will be along to correct me if my misstatement is too outrageous...)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  9. Christopher

I'd have to defer to Greg on that one. I know Tor is large, probably the biggest SF publisher, but I don't know enough about the industry as a whole to know for sure how it compares.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw a story about this the other day. I'll be curious to see if they pick up any authors I'm interested in. It would be great if they published some original stuff from the Trek authors.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:That's great news ,I'm definitely curious as to what kind of Science fiction and fantasy books will be published and who the writers will be doing different scifi and fanstay books I the future.I hope some of Star trek writers will be part of this group of writers doing new and original books.