THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The physically impossible part wasn't the biggest problem, it just happened to be very noticable (there is no way those barrels would stay upright while going through very turbulent waters like they were). The scene was already good in the book. It was not an action scene, and doesn't need to be, but jackson seems to hate not having constant action. Its just an annoyance, but its one of the scenes that sticks out in the book, and seeing it turned into some kind of action fest just struck me as being stupid.

Also, I'm not "moving on" to the Hobbit. I love LOTR, the books and the movies. I liked the first Hobbit, despite its flaws. I'm excited for Hobbit 2, even with some of the weird stuff. That said, I am going to talk about the weird stuff, but this is a totally different situation than with MoS. That doesn't mkae this movie immune to criticism, but I'm not looking at this movie in a negative mood, I'm just talking about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it comes out, but until then if I see something weird, I will probably mention it.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a video of Evangeline Lilly, Orlando Bloom and Lee Pace watching a fan reaction video to the trailer:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qQ1LCvs8Xcc[/yt]

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's pretty damn funny. :guffaw:

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That was wonderful. :lol:

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Okay, I admit. I smiled. :biggrin:

6. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peter Jackson is a slasher movie director, once you realize that you'll be a peace with what kind of movie he makes.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Jackson has stopped being a slasher movie director in the 90s.

8. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it's still in his style, he's heaving on action and conflict.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Jackson's slasher film past has nothing to do with it. A strong dose of action and conflict is part and parcel of blockbuster filmmaking in general.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes it shines through, I agree. But I see it more in stuff like the flood of skulls in Return of the King. Or the bug pit scene in King Kong. He likes over the top gruesome stuff.

But action and conflict, that's not really a specific slasher director trademark, in my opinion.

I was actually surprised that The Fellowship of the Ring, one of the best films ever made IMHO, came from the director of Braindead and Frighteners. It's just so far away from and so high above the stuff he did before.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great trailer, I gasped when I saw Smaug's head! Looks better than the last one!

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought if we saw any of him at all it might just be the eye like in the first movie, or maybe a vague shadow, so even the little bit we did see surprised me.
    That video is great.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I liked what they showed but it was basically a sillouette and his eye. Not much detail.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a dragon tease. As it should be :techman:

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I was surprised to see so much of Legolas. I knew he was going to show up, but was expecting a cameo ala Galadriel and Saruman in the first movie. From the trailer, it looks as if he has his own arc.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling this was a studio crafted trailer(No way!) It gave people a glimpse of Smaug for them to get excited.

People who loved the first 3 LOTR's movies saw Legolas. So they're interest is up.

Finally we have Evangeline Lily as the story created Tauriel a female butt kicking elf.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Not much a fan of Forgotten Silver, are you?

18. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any word on his far this film will chronicle? Will we get as far as Bard the Bowman's big moment?

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think at this point that the film will end with Bilbo and Smaug confronting each other. But that's pure speculation on my part.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the previous film covered a meager 6 chapters, far less than I expected. Not really sure why they're pacing this thing the way they are, other than the financial gain of making it 3 films.