Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, talk about a radical change in style and tone from the previous movies. This is much more gritty and real than I was expecting, and almost looks more like a David Fincher movie. Awesome.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I got a Batman Begins/Dark Knight psychological vibe from the bootlegged trailer. A darker, more mature route for Spider-Man with this film would, I think, be utterly fantastic. :)

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That first-person sequence gave me a headache. There's no way in hell I'll see this in 3D.

4. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Now that was a teaser.

So much better that The Dark Knight Rises teaser. :lol:

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha yeah, not as good as The Avenger's, but definitely better than TDKR's teaser.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

If that sequence is actually in the movie (I can't imagine it wouldn't be), the 3D might actually be worthwhile.

It was definitely a good teaser.

7. davejames

I'm kind of amazed and impressed that Sony actually went for this. They had such a sure thing with the bright, happy, comic booky style, and I'm not really sure if audiences are going to go for this in the same way.

I'm definitely much more excited for it though.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Well, David Fincher was on their shortlist of directors first time round; I think he didn't get it because he wanted to forgo the origin story.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That's like comparing Iron Man's trailer with The Dark Knight trailer.

Some want to show alot and some want to tease you.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, they're not films - they're advertisements. Different approaches work best for selling different projects. The Batman folks want their established legion of fans to know that they're going to get what they've loved in the past in terms of the tone and characters; the ad is full of call-backs to past events and foreboding about darkness and desperation to come. These people also know that this minimalistic tease and viral ads have worked really well for them in the past.

The Spider-Man people are saying "you haven't seen this before, not really, not like this."

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing for me is this: I just saw a Spiderman origin movie, less than ten years ago. I don't need to see another. I would have rather they just recast and do a "soft reboot" (ala the Hulk). This might be a good remake of the Raimi film but, for all intents and purposes its still basically a remake.

12. the G-man

Actually, during the 60s and 70s Aunt May pretty much was an overly dramatic woman who would go batshit crazy. She had more near heart attacks from stress than Fred Sanford faked.

13. davejames

They probably wanted to make it clear that this wasn't the same Spidey we saw in the previous movies. It does seem strange to be seeing the same events again so soon, but at the same time I'm kinda curious to see what a more adult take on the origin would look like.

Plus I get the impression those events are going to impact the story and reverberate in a much deeper way than we saw before.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's presumed to be an audience for this movie that wasn't spending money ten years ago.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Did the POV shots remind anyone else of Strange Days?

16. the G-man

Maybe they should start remaking the Harry Potter films too. After all, a lot of kids today weren't old enough to see the first movie when that came out ten years ago either.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I'm hoping for a BBC miniseries

18. the G-man

Sure. Why not? It isn't like anyone can watch ten year old movies on DVD, Blue-ray, download or broadcast TV already.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So nothing like the comics?

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This definitely has more of an Ultimate Spider-Man feel than 616 Spider-Man. You can have a gritty, realistic approach without losing the humor and fun that make Peter Parker who he is. I think most comic fans forget what a tragic life Peter Parker has led since he lost his parents in the plane crash, yet through it out he continues to persevere and learn from those experiences.

I know the fear for me when this was first announced that they would make this more like "Batman" or a "Twilight" film but I have the up most confidence in Webb after seeing "500 Days of Summer". I think people should watch that movie to see how he handled those characters. There was a great balance of humor and "dark" moments in that film.

I agree about the use of the POV. I hope that was just for the trailer because that will give me motion sickness in a theater and probably trigger a migraine as well.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011