Smallville: T-1: 10x20 "Prophecy" - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, May 6, 2011.

?

Grade the episode:

1. Superman (Excellent)

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. The Blur (Good)

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Clark Kent (Average)

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Kal (Bad)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Supermope (Terrible)

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not fake tension. She had to endure the cries for help that he does on a daily basis. So now she understands that while he's with her, someone is always in trouble and needs his help. So she's setting him free. This is big. And in a way it sets up how Superman needs his Clark Kent identity because he can't be Superman 24/7.

2. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, here's the thing. I watched the first few seasons and thence, I watched a couple episodes per season. And now, I've watched the last 5 episodes. I think I kind of understand the whole Darkseid thing. But maybe not. Is it just me, or does it not really make sense yet?

Anyway, I don't give a shit. I'm basically tuning in to see if they can make good on ten years of blue balls. I'm not hopeful, but I have almost nothing invested in this so it'd be cool if "Finale" is actually good.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Darkseid has been a complete and utter waste. This season should have built to the return of Lex. Various bad guys with powers(Legion of Doom) appear all season and go after Clark and friends all controlled by a mysterious backlit man on a monitor. Last night that man is revealed to be Lex. Bang instant super final episode. This Darkseid stuff is going nowhere. Wow Clark defeats the darkness, really? Kind of doubt that.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I don't disagree with you about the waste of Darkseid or basing it on the return of Lex. However it was dicey if Michael Rosenbaum would return (he only appeared to relent at the last minute), so I could see them not building a season around him. Though I liked the creepy Nosterafu Luthor clone. I think he could've substitued fine for Rosenbaum.

Perhaps if they had made the mirror Lionel's return earlier in the season and set him up as the big bad, or maybe made Darkseid corporeal (I think someone a long time ago recommended Tony Todd, which would've been an awesome choice; I was thinking more along the lines of Michael Clarke Duncan), perhaps with a physical person in the role they could've played Clark off the guy.

As it stands, I sort of like what they are trying to do with Darkseid, but I think its' beyond their capacity to portray well.

Overall I liked last night's episode. Toyman has been an effectively rendered, yet underrated villain on Smallville, but I thought he did a great job here. It sucks that we probably won't see more of this Legion of Doom. Their hunting down the Justice League would've been great. Heck, the LoD could've been the big bad this year without going the Darkseid route.

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I would have definitely liked the Justice League as villains this year.

The Darkseid storyline seemed big in the beginnnig of the year but in the last few episodes until recently has been nonexistent. They've done an awful job with it recently.

Building up to the return of Lex would have been nice but as pointed out, Michael Rosenbaum was only going to return for an episode or two.

6. DarthPipes

Hey, Pro, I did think about another film Smallville ripped off last night. The only thing about water rights reminded me a lot of the last Bond film Quantum of Suckatude.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

More trivia. The very last episode of the old George Reeves tv show featured a dream sequence in which Lois gained Superman's powers!

I guess you can't do a Superman tv show without giving Lois powers at some point!

And, of course, the comics have been doing it since at least 1947! (I confess: I once tried to sell a "Super-Lois" story myself.)

The science thing doesn't bug me. After all, this is based on a comic book in which people shoot heat rays from their eyes and red kryptonite can turn Superman into a giant ant on occasion.

I don't think anyone expects SUPERMAN to be hard science! :)

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

-This episode felt like more filler and wheel-spinning.

- Too bad we didn't get to see Supergirl, but having Laura Vandervoort back was nice. I say "too bad we didn't get to see Supergirl" because she came off more as a random blond guest star than anyone of significance. ...like Supergirl. Okay, she had the floating and the red and blue at the end, but still, the bulk of the episode was "Laura Vandervoort", not Kara/Supergirl.

- Toyman recognized Clark right away because he already knew him, and so will everyone else who already knew Clark. Can't wait to see Lex's interaction with Supes next week.

Probably. It would have been nice to see Smallville's finale resemble a Superman TV movie, but given the show's track record and a possible embargo on using too much Superman, I an accept the possibility that we won't see much of him. It would be a nice if they did surprise us though with Clark putting on the suit at the very beginning. That would be a real "whoa!" moment.

I don't like it either. Not much to add to the discussion, but Proc does raise an interesting point about this later on which I'll address.

At least he stared at it this episode. :rommie:

With the raincoat, he looked like Supernatural's Castiel with glasses.

Didn't notice him take them off, but I did think he looked a bit dorky in them. I could see why they weren't used regularly.

That would have been a nice touch if they could have worked it in.

Another thing... Smallville's Clark isn't as shaken as Reeve's Clark was without his powers. Probably because he's used to losing them every now and then. :vulcan:

I thought she was going to fly as well when she got up on the desk.

Yeah, but most glasses these days are so thin and streamlined that they're pretty much useless as a way to significantly alter someone's appearance. If I wanted to hide behind glasses, I'd get the thickest-rimmed ones I could find.

Yeah. This is the point I was referring to above. I guess we can say that powers would eventually have an effect on all humans. For me, this helps make the transfer less trivial.

I did take note of how different the Jor-El AI is from Julian Sands' character.

Loved that too.

I hope they're saving the good stuff for last.

I remember an instance or two where the human taking on Clark's powers didn't have the kryptonite weakness.

Don't like the \S/, it's too small.

Like a Superman spinoff? :p

She'll be back.

I was well into the scene before I remembered that they were together in the future.

Did we actually see him? Or was he only mentioned?

I did like that this issue was addressed, in that it provided some good drama. What do you do when you can save a lot of people and don't because you need some time on the couch? The simple answer? Don't tell anyone you can save a lot of people so that they won't hound you to "get out there". And what do you do if you're in Lois' situation? Don't know. It is a problem now though, and I can't wait to see how it's resolved. I suspect it'll be done through some sort of vague rationalizing by Lois as she makes up with Clark.

I spent most of the season wanting to see Darkseid, but I was just thinking that a big hulking villain might have been a bit "out there" for a teen drama.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, for the finale it looks like we will have Lionel, Lex, Darkseid, and maybe the legion of doom. Well do we have enough villains to muddy the waters?

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's only if Brian and Kelly remembered the U-Lionel thing when they sat down to write the finale lololol. As for Lex, I don't think he's going to be part of the Darkseid thing. I have a feeling he shows up after the wedding.

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^do you think they will have lex wearing green and purple like his armor?

12. Admiral_Young

^ No they've release screen caps. He's wearing his white suit and black glove.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: AgentRichard007,

I don't think fans were too put off by Doomsday on Smallville, granted he came mostly in the package of Sam Witwer. The way I was envisioning Darkseid was something along the lines of the Darkside Club storyline in DC comics a couple years back. I think they called him "Boss Darkside". So he would look human for the most part, or be inhabitating a human vessel.

Besides Tony Todd or Michael Clarke Duncan, Christopher Judge might've been another good choice.

14. DarthPipes

Doomsday worked because of the performance of Sam Witwer. He puts his best into whatever role he's doing. The disappointment was in the sixty-second "epic" battle between Clark and DD.

15. Admiral_Young

@Dar Kush I was originally stating that the writers were attempting to do their own adaption of Final Crisis. That doesn't look like the case at all now lol. It would have been cool if they did do something like that.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't compute how wrong this episode was.

Everyone was a chump.

Except Granny Goodness.

She was in charge of her own story, while every one else was just a rube.

17. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Personality I wish we didn't know he was Doomsday until the big reveal. Imagine how cool that would have been! It's really basic 101 of storytelling "Don't show your hand too early" and they ignored it. Oh well :eek:

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I suspect the Legion of Doom thing was just an Easter Egg, giving us just a taste of the kind of supervillains Clark will have to fight when he becomes Superman. I doubt they'll figure into the finale.

19. Admiral_Young

^ That's exactly what they were. The finale cast has been set for months except for who is voicing Darkseid if anyone. There were rumors that TNA wrestler Matt Morgan was hired to play Darkseid but that was never confirmed. There were also rumors that Michael Ironside recorded some lines but those weren't confirmed. For the most part the finale is an unknown.

20. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So he would have played General Sam Lane and voiced Darkseid? I wonder if they would have altered it enough to avoid any confusion.