The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ C.E., don't rub it in. :scream:

BTW, the old Joe Boccardi's in Eureka (is it still there?) at least used to bill their St. Louis-style pies as "Sicilian Style." That's where I got the reference.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was years ago that Babylon 5 tied psychic powers to Vorlon genetic manipulation and hinted they were connected somehow to "hyperspace." It was also years ago that Stargate SG-1 tied them to "major rewiring of the brain" and other dimensions etc.

Those were scientifically ludicrous explanations but the simple truth is that we, the audience (or most of us anyhow) want to be able to suspend disbelief. The ficitional science may be risible but to a hopeful eye, it floats like a mirage of cool water and shady palms in a desert of dry fact.

Defiance at this late stage gives us aliens wtih the "Sight." It appears to be a gift from the gods, compensating the Irathients's lack of culture with supernatural abilities. Apparently being free from the stultifying civilization allows one to partake of the numinous. And that, it seems, is all there is to that.

They couldn't even throw us a bone.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem is not with the show, it is in the post show discussion on the BBSs when you are watching live and others have so much more information then you do that you are left scratching your head. It is like going into a Trek discussion and other posters are going into all kinds of specifications and details over a ship which flashed by our screen for all of one second

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not bad, this one felt it hit its stride in terms of tone. Made me feel I need to get to the gym though.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Trope trope tropy troping trope troped. meh.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Boccardi's still there (there are five locations now). They don't promote their pizzas as Sicilian-style anymore, though.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Will it get a season 2? Will it finish season 1?

I can't get past the gaming associations, even assuming I could get past the cheesy daddy daughter issues.. now with THREE different daddy daughters!

They should have looted the mama bug! It was a boss right?

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why the hell do you bring something like that when you're fleeing a dying world?

Unless it's a weapon or very very tasty or necessary for medical resources or religious practices?

Somebody frakk's those things, and it's a stupid game if you can't frakk it.

If that bugger was in Grand Theft Auto you could frakk it.

9. teacake

To be fair (why I don't know) there were probably some eggs secreted away in some cargo and they all burst forth from that.

10. Guy Gardener

The trip took a few hundred years.

So they were in a stasised hold?

But then, they incubate inside people.

But surely no one would have been allowed to be a colonist with out passing through some sort of medical screening?

(or in the real world!)

So they're what, a major component of the game which had to be properly advertised?

11. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I asked something similar about the spider wolf pack in the pilot and even provided an ark explanation that humanity would include salt water crocs and fire ants after the environmentalist had their say. The game players then informed me that they were mutants evolved from the out of control terra forming. My question about mutant humans with super powers has gone unanswered. But now the daughter deputy seems to have a super power.

edit to add or nobody got my Joker versus Ace reference.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  12. Guy Gardener

They gave her LSD.

Of course she could see through time and space.

Tim Leary was RIGHT!

If her people have some sort of radio telepathy it's not magic, it's science... Like how some blokes with steel plates in their head or too many fillings can hear the radio, but if there's too much of the right sort of metal in them, then they're probably all broadcasting, but only a few of the gifted can receive without getting really high.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Season 1 has already completed production, and all episodes will be aired. Only broadcast-network shows run the risk of getting cancelled with episodes unaired; syndicated or cable shows are generally purchased by their broadcasters in full-season blocks, so you're almost always guaranteed to see an entire season (though there have been cases where an underperforming show has had the remainder of its season postponed or rescheduled to a more obscure time slot).

It's too early to know whether there will be a second season.

14. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Info about hellbugs isn't exactly from the game itself. Rather, it came from a series of videos that was posted on youtube well before either game or show went live.

Enemy Intel: Hellbugs
    Enemy Intel: Mutants

15. Guy Gardener

So it's an expansion pack preview?

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked that a lot more than the second episode. The hell bugs were pretty cool and I liked how that guy in the brothel died. But that's what, three/four murders in three episodes? I hope Nolan and his deputies get something else to investigate soon.

Is the barmaid the only prostitute?

I like how...Dakar is it? told a lie to make his son appear more heroic, although now I think we really need two see why the two youngsters are so in love. At the moment there's nothing there to make me want to root for them.

17. Guy Gardener

Almost the final line in the sitcom the The Nieghbours when the girl human and the boy alien kissed after spending half a season RossandRacheling it...

Girl: "Oh my! You have two tongues!"

Boy: "You know it babe."

18. teacake

:wtf:
    But she knows and he knows that he was cowering behind her on the floor while she poked at the hellbug with a torch.

This is what is going to happen. They will get married and because of this humiliation and also because of being his father's son he will Castithan up as soon as the vows are sealed and turn into a complete dickhead. And she will be appalled and terrified and horrified and when she sees how his family is about to kill her father for his mine there will be a showdown (probably at the end of the season) and she will plunge that same flaming torch into his chest screaming something dramatic.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Datak Tarr.

20. Guy Gardener

Backwards it's sounds like "Rat Catered" which would be a prime course of meat in this cursed future surely?