The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. If they made a 1990s time capsule, I think that Batman Forever should go in there if only because its a classic example of the "four glass movies" of that period. A "four glass movie" refers to any movie who's plot can be summed up by 4 collectible glasses sold at McDonalds. (If you want to see a really weird overlap, Burger King released 4 character glasses for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Probably the 1st & last prestige blockbuster to get the four glass treatment.)

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Jackson, please don't post inline images from webspace that isn't yours, and please don't drop huge inline images into a thread without warning. The limit is roughly 70 KB, and though we try to be lenient on that limit, 505 KB is a bit much. We still have lots of users on dial-up.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

A parody of Bale's Batman voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/04/mondaymoviebuzz.darkknight.ap/index.html

Morgan Freedman got into a car accident last night. His condition is unknown.
    http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/04/morgan-freeman-injured-in-car-accident/

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

So, my initial evaluation that Bale's voice had been modulated in post was correct. Wish they hadn't done that.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So some rumors about the next Batman movie were debunk, including one I never heard of before. Who the hell said Maggie Gyllenhaal was up for Catwoman??? :rolleyes:

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just wanted to chime in here...I looked at the box office for this movie for the first time yesterday, its simply unprecedented. $400 million in 18 days. The previous record was 42 days! We might be seeing the biggest movie of all time!

RAMA

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The box office take IS impressive, but The Dark Knight has already peaked, so don't expect it to get anywhere near record box office numbers of Titanic (nonadjusted) or Gone With the Wind (adjusted).

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My wife and I saw this movie today.

I thought it was good. Some excellent character moments, and some great stunts. It actually had a meaningful theme and explored it thoroughly, so that was good too.

Ledger's Joker was very different, of course. Not very funny and not really even over-the-top. I loved his speech to Harvey in the hospital about the "schemers" and how he's just a "dog chasing cars". That was a great scene.

I thought they could have cut it down and streamlined it a bit. There were points where I felt it was too scattered and somewhat random. Some of the mob bank/money stuff wasn't pulled together tightly enough for my taste.

And add me to the list of people who thought Bale's voice was distracting.

Overall: Above average.

11. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has doubtless been belaboured to death, and I have come very late to the party. So, I will attempt to be brief.

I was impressed. Not really a comic book movie person but I like Batman and I enjoyed this film a great deal. My only real criticisms are, firstly, some of the dialogue often felt a little forced. "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the tagline" sort of stuff. None of this was bad - and a lot of it carried important themes to the film - but it just felt off. Also, Harvey Two-Face's embracing of being an agent of random fate... well, actually I guess that was pulled off about as convincingly as it could.

The criticisms in the preceding paragraph should not detract from the first sentence, which is the most important sentence there. This is exactly what a summer blockbuster should be. Heath Ledger managed to be scary, creepy, and funny - the business with the pencil is precisely the kind of dark humour I wanted. Christopher Nolan fails to disappoint. And so on. You've read that before.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

When did they start calling him "Harvey Two-Face"? In the comics that I read, he was just Harvey Dent or Two-Face. The only other time I've heard him referred to as "Harvey Two-Face" was in Batman Forever, which I assumed was a bit of nonsense that they'd come up with for that film. But then it pops up again in TDK....

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I couldn't swear to it since it's been awhile since I've watched it, but I believe Batman: The Animated Series also referred to him as "Harvey Two-Face" a couple of times.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've always known him as Harvey Two-Face but I could be cloudy. I also could've sworn Harvey would re-flip his coin if the result didn't suit his strongest desire.

15. Kegek

Well, I'm mainly (read: exclusively) familiar with Batman from media, which mainly means the movies (but also some of the TV shows). So I probably picked the name up from Batman Forever. I thought that was the proper name for the character. It makes sense in TDK, considering it's a nickname given behind his back.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

In the comics he is either Harvey or Two-Face. Only the animated series called him Harvey Two-Face as fas as I know. But the latter does make a bit of sense.

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I can buy Harvey Two-Face as a nickname for Harvey Dent pre-scarring, but once he becomes a supervillain, it should really just be Two-Face.

18. Kegek

^
    He never calls himself Harvey Two-Face, to be fair. I think the nickname is just brought up and... well, that's it. It never reaches the nom de guerre level of Joker or Batman and, anyway, the fact Two-Face ever existed is now a secret.

19. clonewarrior

clonewarrior Ensign

agreed

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Sounds like it's a TAS thing, then, which would explain why it stuck.
    Tommy Lee Jones did, but as I've seen protested elsewhere, that ruins the whole point of it. Two-Face has a maniacal code of honor/mental block, the same as the Riddler needing to leave riddles as clues.

In other TDK related news, did anyone catch the review in EW last week, in which the reviewer says that Frank Miller added the "the" to Batman? :brickwall: They were calling him "The Batman" back in '39 (as well as "the 'Bat-Man'", with hard quotes included), and AFAIK it came back into common usage when they started to darken him back up in the early '70s. Miller's influence on Batman is way overexagerated.