The Children of Kings

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Apr 23, 2010.

1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The Children of the Kings

Amazon delivered it today.

It's so...thick. Oh my.

Can't wait! But I see the author thanks MWB for Burning Dreams, so I will likely read that first...

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, The Children of Kings (416p) isn't thick, A Storm of Swords (1216p) is thick . Luckily I'm on the book that comes before it, A Game of Thrones (835p).

3. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I just got my copy. Looking forward to reading it! Hearing that the book's Pike is a lot like Bruce Greenwood's Pike is a good thing... I loved Greenwood's portrayal of Captain Pike.

4. 21Spike65

21Spike65 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm...the good reviews are making me curious. How would you say this rates in comparison to Dave Stern's previous works, for those of you who have read both?

5. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

That's what i'm worried about. Daedeuls\Childrent and Rosetta were meh. And Cowabunga or whatever it was called left mewith a great big :wtf:

6. mbruno

mbruno Lieutenant Red Shirt

Please?

7. HOoftheKinshaya

HOoftheKinshaya Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think it gives a fairly good explanation of why the Orions are a dimorphic species with the Males being so much larger than the females and so incredibly strong. The hormones in their body chemistry basically enhance the development of the sexes differently as they grow to a much higher degree than other species, enhancing pheromones and sexual appeal in females and size and strength in males. So you end up with hulking mammoths, brutes and sexual vixens, seductresses. Basically the Uber-Masculine and Uber-Feminine.

It also touches on the history of the Orions when they were and empire and the issues that caused their society to devolve.

I loved the portrayal of Orions in the Enterprise series. Seeing the "Big Show"Orion Slaver toss people around and manhandle and shake T'Pol like a little doll was classic.

This book does a good job fleshing some of that out with a strong story and some strong character development of Pike's crew. It almost makes you wonder how Dr. Boyce would have interacted with Kirk and Spock.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, this sounds fascinating. I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not necessarily. There are a number of clear differences from canon here. Garison is a lieutenant instead of a chief petty officer, Pitcairn is chief engineer instead of transporter chief, the Klingons already have a prototype cloak in the 2250s, and there's even a reference to the Ferengi. Plus it's evidently before "The Cage" yet Colt is already Pike's yeoman, rather than the replacement for the one he lost on Rigel VII immediately before "The Cage." I was confused at first, until I read the author's note at the end, where Stern says that the new film continuity "freed [him] of the need to write specifically to one vision of humanity's future" and that the book shows "the Enterprise as it might have been under Captain Christopher Pike." He calls it a "prequel" to the movie, though it can't be, since the movie showed the Enterprise's maiden voyage. So it's not quite in the Prime universe and it's not quite in the Abramsverse. It's apparently sort of a stealth Myriad Universes tale, an alternate take on Pike's captaincy and on the astropolitical situation of the 2250s.

It's an interesting approach. I'd imagine it's a product of the period when the editors weren't sure how to deal with the new continuity and were developing projects adaptable to either timeline, or at least not specifically bound to either one.

10. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

I'm diggin' this books

SPOILERS

But the death of Captain Pike has me bummed

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally got my copy. It is next in the Trek reading queue.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Children of Kings is a fast paced read and I've really enjoyed the story so far.It's nice to see Enterprise and the Captains and crews of Excaliber and Hood working together to stop the Orions.I liked how Dr.Boyce is finally getting an important storyline in this book. I also like seeing Number and Spock working together as a team to unravel the mysery about the secret building and the attack on Starbase 18.

13. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have suggested Penn Books but Borders is one of the flagships and they keep new Trek books out in front on that table but sometimes it's just easier to get it shipped and the store will ship directly to you if you ask nicely. (Well they used to I don't know if the still do that)

14. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Finished the book a couple of days ago... All in all, TCoK was quite good and featured a nice adventure, but something bothered me about it until just this morning.

I didn't "feel" it as being in the pre-TOS era. Other than using different names, it really felt like TOS to me. I would expect using a specific era for a Trek novel would mean capturing the feel of the series/era. For example, a Titan novel feels different to me than a (pre-Relaunch) Voyager or a series-era TNG novel, though all feature exploration stories.

Here I just gpt the feeling that I'm reading a TOS novel, with the names changed for some reason...

15. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

This stuff about taking minor liberties sold me for this book, which I wasn't sure I would spring for at first. I think a major point is that it is not presented as an alternate continuity, but simply as the work of an author who decided to take a few liberties with "established facts." It's definitely a good thing that the author included an explanation of what he was going for (and it was certainly an interesting read) and I like it as a rallying cry for developing Star Trek material in new ways. I also like the fact that he didn't throw in a "Nero" to explain the changes; it's up to the reader to decide why there are differences (this is not meant to be a slam on the new movie, which I like, Nero and all).

All that being said, a glance at the first review on amazon.com makes me think that maybe that afterword should have been a foreward, that reader went into reading the book without an understanding of Stern's creative philosophical approach, and he's judging the book on it's accuracy to the "Prime" continuity.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, this whole possible alternate universe element to the story has me very interested. I've always been a fan of stories that a take things in a different direction like this.

17. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a quick question. Does this book go before or after "Inception" chronologically?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, they're not quite in the same continuity, apparently, but The Children of Kings purports that Spock has been under Pike's command for only three months, which would make it the early 2250s by either the Prime or Abrams version of Spock's career. Inception is in 2261.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

This book is ok but it bugs me how the
    how the Starfleet Intelligence aspect is handed. Now what they were doing, that's fine but the aftermath of Pike killing the two Starfleet Intelligence officers. That plotline just stops dead, nobody mentions it, none of the characters seem to care. It's like that was suppose to go further but the author just ran out of pages or ran out of interest in it.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Have to agree with you Joe Zhang. The book kind of stops with some definite threads still unresolved.