Discuss: The Voyager Fleet

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sxottlan, Jun 18, 2009.

1. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you have a link to this somewhere? I saw an early design back when the Destiny trilogy was still coming out (so last fall), but I believe it was only preliminary.

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, no. There were pictures in the magazine a few issues back. I'll go see if I can find you a link...

Edit: I'm not even sure if its not the same prelim. design you were talking about...

Can anyone help out here?

3. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

5. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

May we have a link please, sir?:drool:

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Uhh, the link is in the two posts immediately preceding yours.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't they say somewhere in FC that there will be nine ships in the fleet? As for classes I hope we get to see some more of the other new classes from Voyager, like the Nova and the Prometheus. I'm also hoping that they will spend some time with the crews on the other ships instead of just Voyager, and the EMV. IMO it could be interesting to see the reactions of the people who've been the DQ compared to the ones who haven't.

8. LutherSloan

OK, that's the picture I've seen before.

I would also like to see a Prometheus, as it is one of my favorite classes.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

With it's ability to split into three, it would be a great defensive ship.

10. LutherSloan

I would hope that the fleet has at least one or two ships designed for potential battles, considering how hostile the DQ was towards Voyager for years. Something like a Sovereign, Prometheus, or Galaxy class would work. Or we could settle for a pair of Akiras.

11. SicOne

Sorry, my bad...I was responding to a post on Page 1 and had not scanned ahead to find the link submitted. Tried to edit my post afterwards but it wouldn't take...hmmm. Probably didn't do it right. Where's one of my sarcastic computer-savvy teenagers when I need 'em?;)

That being said, the drawing linked to is a little short on detail. Are there links available to fan-made designs, if not the "actual" intended design?

And to answer a previous poster, according to "Full Circle", pages 510-511, the DQ fleet will consist...

(1) USS Voyager

(2) and (3) Vesta-class ships USS Esquiline and USS Quirinal

(4), (5), and (6) unknown-class science ships USS Hawking, USS Planck, and USS Curie, one each to tag along with 1, 2, and 3 above. I had thought there was a mention of a USS Hawking in a TNG episode, but a cursory glance at Memory Alpha shows no listing.

(7) unknown-class specialty ship USS Galen (staffed by advanced holograms and serves as primary medical resource)

(8) unknown-class specialty ship USS Achilles (carries vital backup components for the fleet's technology along with industrial replicators)

(9) unknown-class specialty ship USS Demeter (houses a vast airponics bay to provide supplemental food, as well as storage facilities for biological resources the fleet finds along its way)

Hope this helps.

12. SicOne

I agree, but I am thinking that the two Vesta-class ships accompanying the DQ fleet are well-designed for combat as well as exploration, as we saw the Aventine unafraid to kick some ass in the Destiny books.

And remember, Voyager was no slouch in the combat department, either.

That being said, since they are going on an open-ended mission of exploration and also checking on the status of Borg space, I am also thinking that they might have fitted some extra combat modifications on Voyager and the two Vestas...just in case.

13. LutherSloan

Those last three ships sound like transports...

14. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious... where the other ships are named according to their specialty (science, medicine, agriculture), why is an apparent engineering/porter vessel named for a warrior? Also, while I appreciate the naming pattern, I wish there had been a bit more diveristy... some non-Western names, maybe even alien names?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The drawing is the artist's preliminary sketch for the design he was commissioned to make for Pocket Books. The designer posts here occasionally, and I believe his last update was that the fully rendered design was nearly complete. I'm thinking it might be revealed at Shore Leave, but that's just a guess. Anyway, it will be featured on the cover of at least one of the Typhon Pact novels in 2010.

16. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

I guess I wasn't too clear.

We only know the class of three of the nine ships.

What kind of classes do you hope to see? How do you see this fleet working? Do you see this many ships (and accompanying crews) becoming too much for one series? Etc.

Stuff like that.

17. SicOne

Oh, on the contrary. I see this many ships and crews, as well as the fact that they didn't specify some of the ship classes, providing much fuel for further Delta Quadrant stories.

Maybe even a spin-off...

18. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

That's a good question. And the name is there for a reason. I can't promise my original intention there will be fulfilled as I'm not sure how the series is going to develop with other authors, but it was done intentionally on my part.

As to the western emphasis, Marco and I discussed it and he actually told me he was going to revisit all of the names with the question you've raised in mind. As the book was released with my original names intact, I can only assume he decided this was okay. You make a fair point. Just not the way it turned out this time.

Kirsten

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see the EMV be revealed as Olympic Class (USS Pasteur from "AGT..."), as I've always thought of her as a very classy ship design. The holo-ship from Insurrection is probably just as likely; in which case I'd like to see (8) or (9) be Olympics.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kind of like Titan with it's big cast, I really think the best way to go about this would be to focus on one, two, or maybe this ships per book. Since it is the name of the series, I'm thinking Voyager would pretty much always be one of them,