Hinchcliffe Returns!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 27, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Avengers news excites me so long as it's not the "Nick Briggs as Steed" show - Tony Head is the only person, IMO, who could pull off that role as a re-cast...

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'll be David Warner...

(Seriously, I never thought I'd think you can have too much David Warner but does he have to turn up in ever other thing they release? He must really like those lunches people are always going on about.)

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hm, Warner has a little too "slow" a voice for Steed, IMO (if you know what I mean - Steed needs that bouncy crispness)

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm very excited about the Philip Hinchcliffe boxset. His era was my favorite with season 14 as my favorite season of all Doctor Who. Having Marc Platt adapt one of the stories is icing on the cake.

I'm happy for the The Avengers fans but I've never watched the series.

Nope, sorry, there is no such thing as too much David Warner.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's right. I'd like to see him with Alan Rickman, to see who could out-exasperate the other.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the idea of Hinchcliffe coming back to do two productions, but I doubt he'll be rampantly sticking to the very same template he was using back in 1976. We all change over time, and we have different perspectives on things now than we might have done 40+ years ago. I think it's fair to say he'll be bringing something fresh to them rather than simply pastiching his own earlier era.

A good example is Chris Boucher. He wrote a small handfull of Doctor Who novels in the early 2000s which all featured the Doctor/Leela team that he wrote for in his series scripts. But he came at the stories from a different perspective, having had 30 years to mull over his old scripts and what he might do differently. So while those books had an air of authenticity with Boucher's 1970s scripts, they were still written from a 21st century perspective, which gave them a different flavor.