The new SimCity...*sigh*

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sheep, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Since most people are already always connected to the internet, I don't understand the gripe.

2. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

What happens wheen EA announces SimCity 2015 and kill their existing SimCity servers? This is EA who HAVE killed servers for games only a year or two old.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VTVRFA?tag=at055-20

Looks like Amazon's pulled the download version. I'm guessing they got a flood of complaints from users unable to connect or play.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It sounds like this game is "single-player" only in the sense that, say, The Old Republic is single-player: you can do everything by yourself if you want, but the game is inherently Internet-based.

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread makes me want to play some SimCity. I am going to have to find my SimCity 3000 disk and load it up.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I found myself playing Sim City 2000 for a while after reading this thread. Won't be possible with this one, I guess, because eventually, they WILL shut down the service.

That's what I hate about online games (any game that requires online connection, for DRM purposes or multiplayer) the most. You buy it, but you can't keep it as long as you like. You can only play it as long as the company has the online service up and running.

6. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

When they shut down, someone will have cracked it and you can still play it.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's my point, you have to illegaly crack it because stuff like online DRM is an annoyingly stupid concept.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Normally, I would agree, but here we have a game that doesn't even save locally. How are you going to crack that? While probably not impossible, it's not the kind of thing I'd expect someone to bust out over a weekend.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I have been reading the Facebook comments and most users don't understand the real meaning of "always online" and others didn't even know they had it. So hopefully this will fuck EA over, but I doubt it.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A good article on SimCity and their DRM - SimCity Burning: A Warning to Microsoft, Sony, and All Publishers on The Dangers of Always-Online DRM

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Cities XL looks pretty good right now.

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

In the even shorter term, there are any number of reasons the internet might go down even at home. Then there's travel. Depending on where and why, taking your laptop and doing a little gaming isn't unreasonable. In those conditions internet is even more unreliable/untrustworthy.

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Not to mention if you want to do some gaming while literally on the road, in a car/plane/bus/stagecoach.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of the reviews I've read have said that the game is balanced for multiplayer. Because the cities are so small, they can't do everything you might want, so you have to have multiple cities and trade between them. While it's possible to play a region by yourself, the asynchronous nature of the cities makes that repetitive and time consuming (especially now that the option to fast-forward has been disabled).

For example, this quote:
    Granted, you've actually played the game so you know whether or not that's the case better than I do, but I've read that sort of commentary in a couple of places.

Maybe. The region stuff, which is a huge part of this game, is handled entirely on the servers and the only people that have access to that code are the guys at Maxis. To make a working cracked version of the game, hackers are going to have to reverse engineer whatever the servers are doing purely by monitoring packets being transmitted between the game and the servers. Depending on how intricate the regional stuff is, which is something we don't really know right now, it could take years to get a working crack running, and even then it probably wont perfectly emulate the game's servers. Alternatively, someone at Maxis could anonymously leak the region code to facilitate the creation of a crack, but that's unlikely.

If only I could upgrade roads in that game without having to demolish everything on either side. It's especially annoying if you use curved roads everywhere to create an organic look to the city, like I normally do. This new SimCity doesn't seem to have that problem.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, has anyone tried to play together yet? I wouldn't mind joining a region.

16. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell, i'm pissed that all the early stuff i read said it was going to be Win and OSX.. saw the box.. PC only.. Fail..

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

If you've kept up with it, you would've known for the past couple of months that the March 5 release was going to be PC only.

Not a fail on their part.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping to play it on a train trip that's 9-10 hours long without wifi. I guess that isn't happening now.

19. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Once I'm finished with Tomb Raider (A really great game), Ill try SimCity again - if I can.

Look me up on Origin: AerodromeLander.

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Now"? That was never on the cards...