DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He does do tie-ins. Remember the third arc of B&R with the undead evil Batman was his attempt at doing an undead Blackest Night story.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but I'd guess he had more narrative room in there: what was important was that Dick had adventures as Batman, not necessarily what those adventures were (outside of introducing Pyg and running the Sexton stuff). That Blackest Night could help confirm a point about the Bat-body left by Final Crisis was icing on the cake.

If the point of the Zero Issues is to reveal some unrevealed aspect of Batman's past, I don't see how the pre-plotted an intricately paced final arc of Batman Inc could suddenly have room for that. Now, if it were to explain where the hell Stephanie Brown is, I could get behind it.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot. Zero is showing us how he recruited his "lieutenants".

BATMAN, INCORPORATED #0
    Written by GRANT MORRISON and CHRIS BURNHAM
    Art and cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
    Variant cover by AARON KUDER
    1:100 B&W Variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
    On sale SEPTEMBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Combo pack edition: $3.99
    • Batman, Incorporated wants you!
    • Batman has a war to fight, but first he must recruit an army to combat the menace of Leviathan.
    • See how The Dark Knight assembled his lieutenants!

This is the cover.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/62057/2400193-batman_incorporated__0_promo_super.jpg

4. Derishton

Well, it's Batman Inc so I'll obviously read it. I thought we already knew much of this, certainly as it pertains to the other characters on the cover.

5. Derishton

BTW, I know we discussed this before, but we're coming up on 5000 posts: at what point do we need to start a new thread?

6. Admiral_Young

We have seen this in the first volume, but I suspect this will be an expansion of what we saw. Perhaps Bruce interacting more with Batman, Incorporated. I think a nice zero issue personally would have been showing Dick making the transition back to Nightwing (instead of it just happening between the end of the Black Mirror and Nightwing #1).

One thing I did find funny about the Talia origin episode is that Bruce was still wearing his New 52 costume. In the entire history of the 52'Verse (all five years and earlier) I refuse to believe that Batman has worn a single costume :)

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall what the limit is. I know they are always closing/opening the picture threads so maybe if any active users of those threads recalls the shut down point they could clue us in?

I say when the DC thread is relaunched it have a more generic title and not tied to being nu52 or any other crossover event. That's a big part of the Marvel thread imo, it hasn't been "The Heroic Age" for some 3+years now. All we have is the nu52, so that's not news anymore.

8. Admiral_Young

It'd be good if we could change the titles of our threads. I've been wanting to change the title of my Marvel thread forever LOL.

Maybe JD should start up a 52'Verse Year Two thread next month if he is so inclined? :)

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I say we just wait until DC reboots again. Should be any day now.

10. Admiral_Young

:lol:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  11. Admiral_Young

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If one of you guys wants to start it feel free. I figured I would leave starting a new thread up to the mods or one of you guys who are more active here.

13. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So lets see Liefeld goes through multiple editors and then when he still cant get his way he walks. I wonder who the "problem" employee is. When you work for someone you do what they tell you.

14. Admiral_Young

Yet he's not the only one who has had experiences like the one he described. George Perez spoke about his dealings on "Superman" and we know how that turned out. Chris Roberson out right quit. Gail Simone voiced her own troubles dealing with editorial I believe as well. It'd be one thing if it was just Liefeld but there does appear to be some problem in communication between editorial and writers. As you guys know that have been following this thread...I'm not exactly thrilled with how DC Editorial has been handling things since the implement of the relaunch and it seems that it continues to this very day.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yes, BUT, when you hire a creator (a term loosely applied to Liefeld) you are getting what THEY do. You are hiring them because of what THEY bring to the table.

You don't hire Picasso (I know, I'm talking about Liefeld) and then make editorial trouble for him.

If you want someone to do your bidding, you don't need to hire a name. There are plenty of people who will work in comics. This isn't the era of comics 40 years ago. Creators have names, and names bring in $$ for the publisher.

That said, Morrison is probably not getting the same troubles from editorial. Either because they have chosen not to edit him, or because he's good enough he doesn't encounter the same problems.

16. Admiral_Young

Excellent post Zoom.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Flash was decent. I continue to love the art and style in this book.

TDK: This book is close to being dropped. Really close. Likely when the current arc with Scarecrow is over.

Superman: Still a book I really enjoy and don't see the problems some have with it. It's not quite as "serious" and "straight-forward" as Action but I still enjoy it. Look forward to what happens between Clark and Lucy Lane.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Again how is this any different from the pre-reboot DCU? Creators getting taken off books, behind the scenes editorial fights, etc. Nothing has exchanged except your perception of DC Comics and its editorial staff.

19. Admiral_Young

I suppose that it is different because it is being reported now, and you're right this nonsense and the way DC has been acting since the relaunch has changed my perception of DC Comics and Editorial. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. To me it is just one of the stories of the relaunch that I find interesting.

Another one bites the dust. This is becoming like a game show...Who's Gonna Leave Next??

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/25/judd-winick-walks-off-batwing-leaves-dc-comics-for-now/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if all of these people leaving is going to make the DC people look at the way they do things?
    Is Marvel this bad? I know Brubaker is leaving Winter Soldier, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the mass exodus DC is suddenly getting.