STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, you guys have successfully pointed out all what is wrong with Into Darkness and therefore why it is the worst of all Star Trek movies.
    But here's the thing: STID is not the first ST movie with major plot holes, so is it really worse than its predecessors? We'll see

This thread is dedicated to all the screw-ups in previous Star Trek movies, just to relativize STID's script.

Let's begin with two holy cows...

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Kirk violates regulations and refuses to raise shields and thus fails to protect his crew of training cadets.

Star Trek: First Contact
    The TNG crew monitors the Romulan Neutral Zone, then agrees to disobey orders and get involved with the Borg after the battle at 001 already has started, but manages to arrive in time while it still lasts. That's what I call Transwarp Drive Baby.

First Contact Again
    The Borg first fly to Earth, then go back in time. Why not the other way round without the Federation noticing?

And First Contact One More Time
    Enslave mankind when it was most vulnerable. 21st century? Really? I don't think Mitochondrial Eve would have been up to the fight (Then again, she was half Cylon...)

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Too many to list...

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Don't forget Khan beaming up Genesis but not beaming up Kirk!

4. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Khan wanted to punish Kirk? Seems perfectly straight forward to me.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Oh, but he just wished to go on... hurting him.

6. Ln X

Kirk buried alive in a dead planet should do the trick, naturally Khan wish he could do more but he settled for that.

7. BillJ

But the point is, Khan didn't have to settle for that. There was absolutely no reason he couldn't beam up Kirk as he had just beamed up Genesis fifteen-seconds earlier.

Khan didn't beam up Kirk because it would've stopped the movie dead in its tracks by having Khan snap Kirk's neck.

8. CorporalClegg

BS.

That whole sequence is Khan grasping at straws, and that's after you include all the assumptions on his part.

Beaming Kirk up and water boarding (or whatever) him for the rest of his life would be a far worse fate. Not to mention an endless source of joy for Khan himself.

The whole planet Regula sequence is pretty much a showcase for Khan's idiocy.

But all of that isn't important. Does it make for great dram? Yes. Is it "intellectual"? Not even a little.

9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Khan didn't want to "snap Kirk's neck" he wanted to make Kirk suffer. With the Enterprise destroyed, Kirk would be condemned to isolation just as Khan was. All Khan had to do was ignore him. Just as Kirk had done to him before. Khan explains it very clearly in his words to Kirk. It's not a plothole.

10. Ln X

Khan made a choice.

Was it beam up Kirk and kill right there and then, or have Kirk trapped forever more?

If I were feeling as vengeful as Khan I would leave Kirk on that planet. The point is Khan is not a totally ruthless villain, vengeance is Khan's weakness and because Khan made it personal we have a much better movie for it.

This is not a plot hole but simply questioning Khan's motives.

11. BillJ

Khan was just screaming "kill him!" to Chekov and Terrell right before beaming up Genesis. My god, I seriously can't believe what I'm reading.

12. BillJ

It is a massive plot-hole. MASSIVE. He spent the whole movie wanting to kill Kirk right up to beaming up Genesis and then just changed his mind? I call BULLSHIT.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dont forget the Reliant somehow going to the wrong planet at the start. If Ceti Alpha VI exploded, leaving only five planets in the system, how did they ever mistake the fifth planet for the sixth which doesn't even exist any more??

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let me put it to you this way: Star Trek into Darkness makes you question why people are doing things and why don't they take obvious alternatives way more than most of the other Trek movies.

15. BillJ

No it really doesn't.

16. CorporalClegg

FTFY

17. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Not really. You are giving too much importance and clout to a very few people.

18. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Right, haven't thought of that yet

19. Ln X

Amen brother! You know something is wrong if you can spot the flaws halfway into the movie, and they're like staring at you right in the face like some kind of flasher. When I watch movies I never go out of my way to look for plotholes. I just watch it and try to understand the movie's logic.

STID defies this in so many ways it is truly unbelievable. So the contender for the Star Trek movie with most plotholes must go to STID!

20. CorporalClegg

Three cheers for confirmation bias!