Warehouse 13 *NO spoilers, please*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taelon, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Taelon

Taelon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've just bought season 1 of Warehouse 13 as I'd heard it was quite good, but I've never seen any episodes. It was in the bargain bin, so I thought I'd check it out. Me and my housemate will probably start watching it sometime this week.

Is anyone here a fan?

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've watched it all the way through and kind of enjoyed it, despite it's being rather silly.

If I had my time over, I'd probably not bother, but it was lightweight easy viewing. Give it a try...

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It started out kind of clumsy, I felt, but got better over time (though it totally fell apart in its abbreviated final season). Unfortunately, Netflix only streams the first three seasons; I wish they'd get the rest so I could binge-watch.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I still haven't seen the last few episodes from last spring. Hoping Netflix gets 'em soon.

5. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

It takes a while to find its stride, but then it was quite fun.

6. Taelon

I enjoyed shows like The X-Files and Fringe, but when they were showing Warehouse 13 on TV a couple of years back, they didn't do any promotion of it at all, no TV trailers, nothing. Even the TV guide listings didn't give a synopsis of the episodes, just the title and showing time. I would have assumed it was a children's show if it wasn't for it being on in the late evening.

It was only because there were references made to Star Trek actors being recurring guest stars in the series that I investigated further.

7. Christopher

Ahh, yes, W13 had a lot of Trek people in it. Saul Rubinek ("The Most Toys") as a regular, of course, and recurring guest stars including Jeri Ryan, Kate Mulgrew, Rene Auberjonois, Brent Spiner, and Faran Tahir.

Not to mention other notable genre actors like CCH Pounder, Lindsay Wagner, Aaron Ashmore, Mark Sheppard (who was in Trek once but is more known for other things), Sasha Roiz, Amy Acker, Anthony Michael Hall, James Marsters, Anthony Stewart Head, and Kelly Hu.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has its moments but that sums it up. You would want to be pretty caught up on your viewing backlog before starting.

9. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I tired to watch it when it first came out and never could get into it. I bought the first season DVD set on sale with the intention of giving it another try later.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I loved the show. Good fun.

:techman:

11. Christopher

Its first season wasn't as good as what followed. But it's worth sitting through it to get to the good stuff.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, I'm biased since I wrote the one and only WH13 tie-in novel, but I was a big fan of the show even before I landed that gig. It's fun and clever and engaging, especially once Claudia joins the show and the cast starts gelling.

"Breakdown" is probably my favorite episode in Season One. If you like that one, you'll probably like the rest of the series. "Duped" is one of the better Season One episodes, too.

Don't judge the show by the first episode, which is okay, but which would be like judging TNG on the basis of "Encounter at Farpoint." The show is still finding itself at first.

And if you stick around for Season Two . . . you get an "unique" interpretation of H. G. Wells. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  13. Taelon

Well I've watched the first four episodes. Pilot 1 & 2, Resonance and Magnetism.

I really disliked the first three, I kept shouting "JUST F**KING SHOOT THEM!" at the TV more times than I care to admit.

But Magnetism was sufficiently entertaining for me to want to watch more. I even laughed a few times.

14. Greg Cox

And this is what makes horse races. I liked it because it was silly, not despite of it.

To my mind, "rather silly" is not necessarily a criticism. It can even be a plus. :)

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Agreed.

It's not Battlestar Gallactica. It's light and fun. It succeeds at what it's trying to do.

:techman:

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I watched the first episode when it premiered, didn't care for it. Watched it again via Netflix last year, and burned through the three seasons available in a few weeks.

Its silly, but it got better over time.

Wish Netflix would get the rest. I'd hate to have spend money to finish it.

17. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

It's a fun show. Think "X-files Lite". There are some really bad episodes but for the most part it's a fun, enjoyable ride worth taking. All good shows can have a dud episode or two. TNG "Masks" for example, god that was horrible.

18. Greg Cox

Heck, most of TNG's first season was pretty bad. TNG didn't really get good until "The Measure of a Man."

19. Taelon

Okay I've seen all of season 1 now and I'm hooked. Hopefully I can get hold of the next few seasons at a good price. Darn cliffhanger endings... :)

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's on one of our paid cable channels, but so far it hasn't managed to engage me. What I've seen was pleasant, funny (sometimes downright silly) in a non-offensive way, but nothing more.

I'd say it's definitely a show that would have a hard time catching the attention of a random channel-surfing viewer.