Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

The redone cgi enterprise that was under construction was pretty sweet, HOWEVER, HOW DID CBS-D NOT ADD THE MISSING PORT THRUSTER EFFECT! :scream:

Lots of awesome unique shots of the 6 footer in this one though.

4. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Yes, I think women always wore one piece jumpsuits, even after they switched to the uniforms with the collars, and sans the band of rank colour around the shoulders.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched Vengeance Factor and admittedly this isn't really an episode I go running back to watch on a regular basis. I think it's been at least 3 years since I've seen it, so maybe my memory is a big iffy on the DVD. When the episode started, I couldn't believe how green everything looked. When I say Green, I don't mean really blending in with the scene, but just outright Green. I think this goes with what I said about the Shiliak and how maybe Remastering can be done so well that it runs the risk of hurting the scene rather than enhancing the scene. Man that was a bright bright green.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The bit that always annoyed me in Vengeance Factor is where Riker incinerates her couldn't they just restrain her:confused:

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Here's the DVD:

[​IMG]

...and the Blu-ray:

[​IMG]

Looks about the same to me.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Maybe you're right. I just thought on the DVDs it was more toned down than on the Blu-Rays but I could be wrong. Still, interesting choice to have the first scene of the episode be very green.

9. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Color correction on the TNG remastering is always done with respect to the original DP's intentions. There's a LOT of restoration work going on with color/contrast which isn't talked about!

10. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    My favorite part is the subtle look Picard gives when he stands up from the Conn station after guiding the Enterprise through the debris. All he needed was a microphone to drop.

The Captain is a bad ass because he only whips it out when he needs to. And he only whips out enough to win.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, no kidding. Or at least have the intended target get out of his friggin chair and leave the room.

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i wonder why season 3 hasn't been released on iTunes yet. i mean the first two have been why not season 3?

13. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Probably because it's so close to the release date yet. I'd imagine the upgrade to S3 on iTunes/Hulu/etc. won't happen until we're closer to the July release of S4.

14. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think there's a statutory waiting period before it is released digitally.

15. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Consider yourself lucky, they haven't released any of the seasons on iTunes in the UK.

16. davejames

A Matter of Perspective is just preposterous on so many levels. Whether it's the investigator letting Riker's own people use their Holodeck technology to defend him, or the ridiculous portrayal of a sleazy and violent Riker, or the scientist's crazy plan to kill Riker which backfires and somehow blows up the entire station, or the way the Holodeck magically duplicates the entire event at the end, exonerating Riker.....

The idea of a Rashoman story is definitely a cool one, but for it to work the alternate versions of the story have to at least be somewhat plausible. Plus the whole murder plot is contrived and not terribly interesting in the first place.

I will say though the opening with Data giving a critique of Picard's painting is as perfect as ever. Spiner's comic timing in that scene is absolutely freakin priceless. :D

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Agreed on all counts. The opening is hilarious, but the machinations of the main story make little sense.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Ok, the bolded text gave me a mental image that made me lol. :lol:

19. davejames

Huh, never noticed before in Yesterday's Enterprise that Castillo actually taps his movie-era command badge at one point to talk to someone.

I wonder if that was just another continuity error (of which there are many in this episode), or if we're meant to think Starfleet really did switch to communicator badges during the Enterprise-C era.

And while I never gave it much thought before, I have to agree with Moore in the commentary that this episode REALLY deserved to be a two-parter. There's just so many great side-stories and interesting avenues they could have gone down with these alternate characters, and it's a shame we never got to see them.

20. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I always figured communicator tech had advanced so much by Castillo's era that it could be fitted in a badge for the first time. Later as technology improved, it inspired the shrinking of the comm badges further.

I'm conflicted about this. There isn't a single wasted second in Yesterday's Enterprise, and I think too many two-parters end up struggling to fill the running time. A 60 minute episode would be great, but 90 minutes?