UESPA Announces the Launch of Earth's First Warp Ship

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by uniderth, Apr 23, 2014.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

The launch of the S.S. Valiant ADC-11031 in February 2065 will be a landmark occasion. For the first time humanity will reach beyond the limits of our star system at faster than light velocities.

The S.S. Valiant began life as a cargo freighter primarily serving the asteroid belt and nearby colonies. The Valiant fell into the hands of its current owner and operator after the initial nuclear strikes in 2054. It was used to rescue several survivors and transport them to safety. After this it remained in service among the various solar colonies and even bringing aid to areas of the earth devastated by the war.

With Zefram Cochrane's historic discovery on April 5, 2063 and many subsequent tests; Mr. Cochrane, working in conjunction with the United Earth Space probe Agency(UESPA), was finally ready to test Warp drive in a fully functional ship for extended durations.

The Valiant was selected to host this experiment because of its durability and service history. In addition to the new warp drive, the crew compliment of the Valiant will be upgraded from five to eleven.

The first mission of the Valiant will be to deliver supplies to the colonies at Alpha Centauri (founded by the Icarus 2048) and Bernard's Star (founded by the Adameve in 2050).

Our hopes and dreams ride with the Valiant and her crew.

-----------

I had an idea to make a fan mini or short series about earth's first warp starship, the S.S. Valiant. I've been working on a model which is based on Greg Jein's model, as well as some back ground information.

I thought it would be fun to promote this project by making it seem like a current event. I'm working on a website and facebook page for "live" update. So it would seem like we are experiencing the "real" project. The website would include "historic" information about UESPA and the Valiant. It would also have "archival" footage of the Valiant. This would It would be cool if I could set of a "live" webcam of the Valiant so website visitors could watch the upgrade of the Valiant. All CG of course.

My brother, my cousin, and I were discussing making a video project and I think this would be something fun.

Here are some renders of the model so far. I've also made the UESPA logo from the Friendship 1 Probe which was launched in 2067; and a morphed image of Zefram Cochrane for potential use on the website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking good. :techman: I am interested in how your ship will turn out.

3. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Cool. Nice balls too. Er- spheres.

4. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Great illustration and really neat story.

Just keep one thing in mind: the term "warp drive" was never used in all of ENT. The FTL propulsion system was consistently called a "warp engine" only.

5. uniderth

Some paneling work and the equipment attachment port.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. uniderth

Thank you for the terminology advice Wingsley. I redid the paneling and added most of the greeblies to the upper hull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. uniderth

I've been working on the aft details. I've also started on the engine. I'll just model one then make three copies.

[​IMG]

As far as scale I was really debating between one and two decks. However I really wanted to have a small crew of about five for it's regular use as a cargo ship. Also based on the how cramped my S.S. Enterprise is (almost 100 years later) I felt this ship needed to really be cramped. Lastly there is what seems to be a window on the Greg Jein model command section. All of this information is how I arrived at the scale I did. I think having such a small ship out there in the great void of space would really help give a sense of isolation and wonder.

[​IMG]

My approximate scale:
    [​IMG]

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whether this is a former freighter whose cargo was carried in those big cylinders, or a former general spacecraft whose fuel for somewhat conventional rockets was held there, I'd assume the tanks (or at least the central one) would now be left empty, what with the miracle technology of warp engines aboard. The Phoenix didn't seem particularly fuel-endowed, either...

There might be plenty of room for habitation inside the cylinder(s), then, making it realistic to go for the smallest possible interpretation of the bow detail. If the cylinder is not habitable, or is about 90% warp engine, then I'd give the bow at least three decks, with the window being "full-height", about six feet from bottom to top vertically. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a need for a mysterious energy barrier for driving the crew crazy...

Timo Saloniemi

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, in order for a spacecraft to go, quote "serving the asteroid belt and nearby colonies", a form of propulsion, based off of nuclear energy, would be a must. Nuclear would provide much more energy than the fuel that we use now, and I'd sure feel a lot more confident if the fuel I used was something whose measurement wasn't so vital to the crew's safe arrival.
    I think that the Valiant would most likely use a form of plasma or NERVA propulsion. She might even use them as a primitive alternative to impulse drive, even with warp drive installed.

After all, you don't want to run out of gas in space.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^Agree with that one.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^Agree with that one.

12. uniderth

I've added some engine details. I've also done a position test and I can see that compared to the model my engines appear to have a slightly larger diameter. So I will have to scale them down a smidge.

[​IMG]

And the underbelly which has not yet been greebled.

[​IMG]

A far as the sub-light engines are concerned they are some form of fusion engines. It seems to be the prevalent type of engine around that time in the book Star Trek: Spaceflight Chronology. I'm roughly basing my time line roughly on this book.

The warp engine is going to be a something related to fusion with anti-matter spiked deuterium for fuel. The fusion reactor would roughly be a primitive equivalent of the Warp reactor in later designs. This matches the Spaceflight Chronology book they have some their warp ships using this anti-matter spiked deuterium. I think this also ties in nicely with VOY: Friendship One. Because the Friendship One probe had antimatter for fuel. Yet, it doesn't make sense that earth would have the technology to make anti-matter that can be used at the same 1:1 ratio we see in 23rd century designs. Thus I would conclude that technology for making anti-matter was developed enough by 2035 to be used in small amounts for space craft.

Side note: As for the Phoenix I'm betting it didn't use anti-matter as WW3 would have made it in short supply. I'm also thinking that Cochrane used the nuclear warhead to make the reactor for the Phoenix.

13. uniderth

For the engines I just need to work on the port and starboard engine struts.

[​IMG]

I wanted to mock up what it looks like when the ship lands. It will help me figure out the cargo door details and landing legs.

[​IMG]

14. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

Awesome model so far! I can imagine some awesome landing gear coming down with that sort of hull shape.
    Cool details in the engines, too.

15. uniderth

Logo for the birth place of one of the main characters:

[​IMG]

16. uniderth

The United Nations was abolished shortly after the genetically engineered "supermen" rose to power in the early 1990s. However, as the Eugenics Wars raged on, humanity rallied together to overthrow these dictators who dared call themselves superior. Following their overthrow, and the stabilization of nations around the world, there arose the need for a new organization to promote and facilitate international cooperation. Thus the New United Nations was born. With a new charter, this organization would press forwards stronger and more resilient. It is our hope that during this, the 21st century, we may yet see a world at peace.

[​IMG]

17. uniderth

Here's the 52 state US flag. It's not really that spectacular as far as creativity.

[​IMG]

And here's the beginning of the banner from the Post apocalyptic courtroom scene in "Encounter At Farpoint".

[​IMG]

In my story part of the western US was invaded by the Eastern Coalition just prior to the Atomic attacks. This banner will be used by a "nation"(more like post-apocalyptic band of thugs) that will form in the area that was invaded.

18. JES

Including Texas?
    Oh, if they invaded Texas, well you know Texans. They love their guns.

I'd almost feel a little sorry for anyone stupid enough to attempt an invasion there. Almost. I've heard that some Texans can be, well trigger happy. After all, "you don't mess with Texas"!

Same thing goes with Nevada and New Mexico, since the U.S. Air Force has many bases there. Their response would be swift, I'd imagine.

19. uniderth

I was actually thinking more like California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Maybe some of British Columbia. Perhaps some of Arizona, Idaho and Utah as well. I have yet to work out the actual area, but that's what I'm shooting for(pun intended).

I'm also considering that a nuclear detonation in this area would start the nuclear destruction between the ECon and the Allied Forces(or whatever they will be called).

20. JES

Yeah, that would cause the U.S. Air Force to respond swiftly. They won't even allow their own citizens near Area 51 in Nevada (which is near Las Vegas).
    How do you think the U.S. military would respond if enemy forces were in occupation of territory surrounding one of their most heavily guarded bases?

And this is considering the response to the invasion of 4 whole states, and 3 additional partial states. If ECON were to successfully occupy one of the important military bases in the area, the U.S. Air Force might respond by destroying it, rather than letting it remain in enemy hands, especially if it had above top secret technology and research. Perhaps they might even nuke it?