X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ If FOX wanted to reboot the X franchise, they would've taken the opportunity to do so with First Class and wouldn't have set The Wolverine after the events of The Last Stand.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But DOFP gives them an opportunity to "reboot" the series without actually rebooting it from scratch. Time travel is fun that way. All of the other movies can still be a part of the franchise, but DOFP will allow them to make changes if they want to while still going forward.

3. DigificWriter

In terms of the way that the term reboot is defined in terms of serialized fiction, you would be discarding the entirety of the existing franchise, and, again, FOX had the chance to do so with First Class and opted not to.

What Abrams and Co. did was a personal choice; there was no creative imperative for them to reboot the franchise in the manner they chose to.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And again, that's not what I'm talking about.

"Reboot" has many definitions these days. Frankly, the word gets thrown around so much that I feel it has lost all meaning. I'm saying get rid of the entire continuity. I'm saying they could use the time travel aspect of DOFP to change or undo certain things that they don't like so that they can ignore them with future movies. What better way to ignore The Last Stand than by using the story to undo it?

5. DigificWriter

^ Not in serialized fiction; the term reboot, when used in that context and medium, means to discard and start over.

Singer also just went on record stating that he is not ignoring any of the existing stories with DoFP, although both First Class and The Wolverine appear to have already ignored Origins: Wolverine, so we'll have to see what happens with DoFP for sure.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Since you're way too hung up on the definition of the word "reboot," let's use another word.

And again, I'm not saying they should ignore anything. I'm saying that time travel is a tool that can be used to make changes to the currently-existing X-Men universe. Perhaps, through the course of DOFP, certain things will end up differently than they were at the end of First Class or The Last Stand (for instance, maybe at the end of the movie, Professor X, Scott, and Jean are all alive and well in their new altered timeline).

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman: I like this idea. Rewrite the battle of San Francisco and the whole Phoenix incident out of existence.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, The Wolverine only ignores Origins by not directly referring to anything unique to that film, not by contradiction.

You can call that "ignoring" TLS if you want, but by that definition STXI ignored all of prior Trek canon. This kind of stretches the definition of ignoring. It doesn't ignore it in the sense that it's saying "this still happened in another timeline", which is arguably different from pretending TLS never took place.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

The U.S. supporting dictators in the Middle East and Al-Queda being a group of nutty religious extremists. Though I'm sure theirs other stuff in there too

Paranoia about communism added with the Iron Curtain and Stalin basically telling the rest of the allies "screw you" about reuniting Germany aka putting a giant freaking wall around half of Germany, but again there is probably other stuff that contributed.

Winning the Cold War I imagine at least on the U.S. and western Europe's side and the Russians at that point having more important stuff to worry about like and economy in the toilet.

wait what? :wtf:

Yeah for international relations not Civil Rights issues which tend to go from one group not liking another to acceptance/not giving a crap anymore that their in the group, so unless we're going to restart Jim Crow laws and bring Don't Ask Don't Tell back not remotely close to mutants suddenly going from at least somewhat accepted to being hunted down like dogs.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Bryan Singer to Empire Magazine, by way of AICN...

Sorry, Admiral Young...
    :lol:

Also of note...
    Sounds better and better.:)

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I like that he refers to it as "clean up."

12. Set Harth

I wonder if that's code for giving Rogue her powers back.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hope so. I also hope Alternate Universe Future Rogue has acquired Ms. Marvel's powers and kicks some Sentinel ass.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Since this now acknowledges how Singer is combing all aspects of the Fox mutant film library I can now see one huge Blu Ray set, of the 7 films, down the road loaded with all types of extras!!!

15. Set Harth

:techman:

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

And, as the ultimate up-yours to X3, when her powers do come back, she gets super-strength and flight, too. :D

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Except we already know that Ellen Page is coming back, so why not have Grammer return?

Of course, the point is moot now with Singer's pronouncement that he's not ignoring any of the movies.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

X3 might have sucked but Grammer was a terrific Beast. Well-suited for the role and one of the best things in that movie.

I liked Hoult as Beast though I didn't like is that they decided to make him the smartest man on Earth. Beast is a genetic scientist but all of a sudden he's creating Cerebro and the Blackbird, things that have never been his area of expertise.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then I guess it was a good thing that I put the term "reboot" in quotes, to indicate that I was using the term loosely in a time travel context and not in the sense that you define it.

Which sounds not that dissimilar from what I posited:

In other words, all the films will still "exist" and be tied together but the time travel will change some things going forward and perhaps retroactively (some of the continuity differences between films and the spin offs).

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... 'Cause it's cheaper and easier to kill such a major actor's makeup-intensive character offscreen than to add him to an already-bulging cast? ;)

We'll see...

(And, as one who had only a vague awareness of who Beast was prior to X3, I wasn't all that impressed by his portrayal. I mean, it was fine, but nothing to write home about for novices like moi.)