Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Again you misunderstand. I know it literally wasn't shot in homes and garages, but it WAS shot by fan/hobbiests. NV/P2's roster of production personnel includes a large number of people in makeup, fx, etc with professional credentials, including Trek credentials.

That I did not know. Last I heard, Dennis had taken over after the original FX guy had to drop out and they switched over from practicals to CG.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, what happened way back when was that there was originally going to be a use of both CG and practical models in Tressaurian Intersection. In the end, the mix turned out to be almost all CG for spaceships and outer space shots and mainly models for interiors - corridors, the engine room - as well as the crashed Kongo saucer, some destroyed buildings on Corinth IV and some "space debris" from the Kongo. But we were planning to use a lot of CG from the beginning - consideration of trying to do the opening shot where the camera pushes in on the bridge as a practical model, for example, went by the wayside very early in planning.

Michael and NEO fx came on during post-production of Act Three, contributing some beautiful shots of the shuttlecraft and hangar bay. NEO is doing probably the preponderance of CG work on Act Four...I think I've done mostly various flybys of the Exeter so far.

Jimm said last week that he wants to talk to me about extending one such shot a bit, and aside from that I think my CG work on Exeter is done. I believe that's true for Michael as well.

If I've missed properly crediting NEO somewhere in that summary, I apologize in advance.

3. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dennis,

That is about right..In fact I sent some frames of the 'thing' to Dave yesterday to finalize the ending shots. I will then be looking at the security guard shot, which I have had sitting on my hard drive for over a year...Hopefully we can get that taken care of.

Outside of that, I am also close to being complete with my tasks...I guess at that point it is up to Jimm..

4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

And the thing would be....?

;)

(sorry, can't blame a guy for tryin')

5. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why is everything we don't understand always referred to as a "thing?" ;)

6. NEO f/x

You are actually more correct about this than you might know ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. Admiral Buzzkill

It's a, uh, guy thing.

8. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Michael & Dennis: Thanks guys! Thank you for all your efforts on Starship Exeter. Reading these last few posts really has me pumped! Act Four sounds like it will be spectacular!

As a fan, I am thrilled by the quality of production shown in TTI up this point. It sounds like all the stops are being pulled for Act 4. That's very exciting.

Unfortunately, it's kinda sad to think that there probably won't be another episode of Exeter made due to the length of time spent in post-production.

So, Michael, what would you think about doing an animated Exeter in TAS-style. Maybe even a crossover episode with Farragut and Exeter? How about a follow-up to TOS "The Ultimate Computer"? (Oops, just tried to check my facts; I guess Exeter wasn't there.) Getting recorded voices from the Exeter crew might be more speedy than a live-action effort.

It's a thought. After all, it's pretty obvious that fans totally love your new Animated Farragut!

Again, Kudos to both Michael and Dennis for all their hard work on entertaining Trek fans like me.

And thanks to Jimm for producing the most-true-to-the-original episode of Trek to date. Countdown to Act 4 completion....

9. NEO f/x

If Jimm would be up for it, there is actually a part in the next episode that I have reserved for 'cameos'...Lou Scheimer and Larry Nemecek have already done their part, along with a couple other folks.

If Jimm wants to record a line like "Exeter on final approach to Jupiter station" I definately have a place for that and it would be a nice wink to the fans. He wouldn't be shown on screen, but true fans would know it was him.

10. Lightinspire

Lightinspire Lieutenant Commander

I wished I lived near where these fan productions are shot, I'd love to be in one.

11. CaptainKen

Michael, that sounds GREAT! Are you going to ask him? I mean you are in touch with Jimm, aren't you? Why not do it? If his voice was in there, it would be a great way to tie in and promote The Tressaurian Intersection which might be ready around the same time. What I mean is... in the forums we could say the Exeter which made a brief appearance in Animated Farragut is also releasing a completed episode. Very cool idea, Michael. Please go for it!

12. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Man, that would be sweet. I'd love to see some continuity with Exeter. Any guesses to the ETA of the finaL ACT?

13. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it's the same "thing" I think it is, I'm working on something very similar right now as well. ;)

14. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Thanks for clearing that up, Dennis...

My apologies for inadvertently slighting your efforts, NEO...

15. NEO f/x

No harm done....I have purposely kept what we are doing quiet per a request from the Exeter team...we want the end to be a surprise.

As for Jimm in the animated episode (even as a voice), I will certainly ask.

16. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Well, I've been out of the loop for a long time, but some of the effects shots done here in Minneapolis weren't done in homes or garages... the models were built and filmed over at MNFX.

I consider myself lucky enough to have seen a little of what was done behind the scenes in my neck of the woods.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Let's stipulate that he was speaking metaphorically and move on...

18. CaptainKen

You are a perfect promoter! Wow! Are you ever building the suspense for me! I really, really, really can't wait to see Act 4 of Exeter!

Please persuade Jimm to do that voice-over! That would be really cool. Why use an unknown Captain/voice/ship, when Captain Garrovick is available? Seriously, even if they only produce those 2 episode, every serious Trek fan really should see them. It's a new ship, but Exeter has the look and feel of TOS! It would be really cool to hear Garrovick (maybe see him?) in Animated Farragut. This is an awesome idea, Michael!

19. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Not to question your oversized brain, Dennis, but I'm not following TTI's story too well. Is it just me or is the metaphysics slightly off? It seems to be slightly scewed, not that I'm not enjoying it to death but the story is not making total sense to me. I gueass that could be said of alot of things. I like though when they talk about things we can't understand, not technobabble, but when they know things we can't and talk about past/future events that are unknown to us. You touched on that in the Garushka massacre.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Metaphysics? In TTI? Huh?