The Almighty Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Order Flow Chart, Mark II!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by 8of5, Dec 5, 2012.

1. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Re: The Almighty Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Order Flow Chart, Mark II

Funny, I wouldn't have been able to resist adding a box between DS9-R and Typhon Pact, reading only:

"[ ? ? ? ]"

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

What?

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The missing Ascendants arc.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It's not 'missing'; it just hasn't been told in full.

I also don't see why that's a problem AT ALL or how/why it warranted a stupid comment that makes absolutely zero sense in any context whatsoever.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good thing to throw a hissy fit about it then.

If it made 'absolutely zero sense in any context whatsoever' then I wouldn't have immediately known what he was talking about.

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha! Nice.

7. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks everyone, glad you all like it!

One wonders what you will come up with next to complete the hattrick.

Well, it seemed quite linear to me, the line from the bottom of the whole DS9 block goes into the box with ZSG and RBoE, and then a line comes out of that box to lead you to RoN and RtD, because they follow on directly from RBoE. There's also another line coming out of Worlds of DS9 to take you over to Paths of Disharmony.

I did forget about the chronology of RBoE and ZSG though. There are a few places where it favours publication order over chronology (Rising Son for example), but I cant recall any particular reason to read them in publication order this time. So maybe will swap next update.

I did think about going even further and having everything arranged spatially to make it conform to a timeline (maybe with lines or boxes going across to show dates). However I quickly realised that would mean spacing things out an awful lot and making it even more ginormous!

I can see the appeal of adding in dates, but it would add another layer of information, and with all the crossing over you get a good ideal of how things align date-wise already, even if the odd book or two aren't listed in perfect chronological order between crossovers.

I've not read them, do they tie into the wider lit-verse?

8. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

First, you really should read them, they're great. (Imho.)

As to whether or not they tie in... mmm, good question. There was actually a discussion here a while back on the trilogy (lots and lots of spoilers, though, so you probably shouldn't read it yourself, 8of5): http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=138266&highlight=Millenium Towards the end of that discussion, if I recall correctly, we got to talking about how Millenium does and does not fit in with DS9-R's continuity. FWIW, my feeling is that it basically does, if you squint in one or two places. OTOH, it doesn't really matter because...

Without giving stuff away, I can say that most of the story is pretty self-contained. Some very interesting "world-building"-esque about material about the end of the Occupation, the station itself, and the characters. And, perhaps most significantly, the Prophets and the Wormhole (though somewhat indirectly). Great background-level expansion, but very little that is followed-up in other books, plot-wise (at least, from what I can remember).

I tend to think of Millenium as the DS9 movie hexalogy that never was, one that aired after "WYLB" but before the televised version of Avatar/A Stitch In Time/The Lives of Dax/whichever novel would've gotten aired first.

9. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Excellent work on this guys. :bolian: Apart from helping newbies, it's also an excellent guide to us old pros in keeping everything in good order. :)

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Very impressive work. Well done, both of you!