Data's Sexuality

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Yvaine, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Yvaine

Yvaine Ensign Newbie

Hello, friends!

I was watching season 1: TNG(pray for me) and the question popped in my mind during Data stating how he is "fully functional and anatomically correct", what could we consider Data's sexuality?

He has no sexual desire, which could be considered asexuality. But he seems to have no problem with sex, even enjoying it in First Contact. And I suppose Data, being the accepting person he is, wouldn't have a problem with people who aren't female. Which could indicate bi/pansexuality.

Thoughts?

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always considered him asexual. I doubt sexuality even matters to Data.

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

When Data does explore dating and sexuality, he behaves in a very heteronormative way. I used to think he should've been more open to bisexuality or homosexuality as options - why would an android have a normative sexuality anyways?
    But then, I came to think that it makes a kind of sense that Soong, who is a bit egocentric, would make his "sons" reflect his own sexuality, just as he gave them his face.

I'd be all for any future exploration of Date, especially if dealing with a reboot, have a more pansexual and/or asexual interpretation of Data.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

His orientation would by observation be hetero. When he wanted to explore relationships he did so with Jenna, and not a male from the ship's company. He does seem to have a low sex drive.

:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  5. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

A little off-topic, but I always found Odo's sexuality to be puzzling. Changelings reproduce through the link, not binary sexual reproduction. Why would they have a concept of gender or a mating instinct? How does it make sense for a changeling to fall in love with a woman?

6. T'Girl

Odo fell in love with Kira. Sex isn't just for reproduction and orgasms, it's part of intimacy.

somebuddyX and Antonovus like this.
  7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that the presentation seemed hetero, but to be fair Jenna took the initial steps with Data. I've often pondered Data's potential reaction to a male acting similarly toward him, and frankly, I can see him reacting exactly the same. Ultimately, his sexuality is window dressing anyway, as he's a nonreproductive entity, and his relationship building is a result of ongoing program development. I'd say his sexual identity is likely hetero based, but potentially open to pansexuality, or could even be more the latter, and we just never knew it

Frankly, the closest bond he's ever had with someone is with a man, LaForge. Had Geordi been gay and shown eventual intimacy toward Data, I can totally see him being open to it

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Data's a machine. We might as well be speculating on whether he's mating with his cat.

9. borgboy

Except that Date dated and had sex with women. He definitely exhibits some level of sexuality, even if he's pretty much just going thru the motions in an imitation of sexuality. He does seem to be affected by his intimacy with Yar - which I always found to be pretty creepy. He's very innocent in that aspect, and after she uses him, she warns him not to talk about it. There's a real bad touch vibe to the whole thing.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

When a changeling takes a shape the changeling chemically conforms to that shape.

It's not clear whether Data was programmed to actually feel attraction. He has taste and scent receptors so it's possible he was also programmed with pheromone receptors and attraction programs that respond to particular shapes.

I suppose a good descriptor of his sexuality if he was programmed to respond to attractive stimuli would be 'sapiosexual'.

11. T'Girl

Sorry if this is too blatant, but does Data even have an anus that opens into a alimentary canal? Would Data be capable of sex with a male lover?

(other than topping)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, Odo is a Changeling who grew up in a solid world. His appearance is based on the scientist who discovered/examined him. Given that, there's a certain logic of him seeing sexuality in the same way.

I don't think the female Founder really had any care for male/female sexuality beyond how it appealed to Odo's world view.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data is a sentient being, so he's going to have some kind of sexual orientation. And I know he used to go on about not having emotions and all that, but I think we all know he had some form of them - even if he didn't admit it.

And even so, the emotionally controlled Vulcans also have sexuality, so why wouldn't Data?

@TGirl: Actually I don't remember them ever saying how Data takes care of...waste. Although I think I remember his 'mother' saying that all Soong-type androids were built to be anatomically correct.

14. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here we have the perfect question to ask Brent Spiner at a convention :lol:

xanne likes this.
  15. borgboy

Data did say he was "fully functional". That could be interpreted as confirmation that he had everything.
    I suppose it depends on his definition of fully functional. I wouldn't consider him fully functional if he didn't have all the fun parts.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would imagine he would, at least for the sake of appearances. I mean, he even has a sort of stomach, where he can consume small quantities of biological material in order to simulate eating. He is, after all, described as "fully functional," so if necessary, I'm sure he can replicate that life process as well.

17. Yvaine

Yvaine Ensign Newbie

Well, I don't know if we can really says he has a sex drive at all. I mean, he can have sex whenever he wants,

but it's not like he actually has an urge to do it.

Zonker likes this.
  18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He is a big yellow dildo and that's it. He has a lot of buttons and some people no doubt have and will enjoy him (well, pre NEM).

Orange Crusher likes this.
  19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I guess the second part of the question is, what happens when Data has an orgasm? Does anything come out? Does he start shuddering like a Model T Ford?

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since Soong was an egomaniac a soundtrack plays out of Data's ears of blasting trumpets fading into a train whistle. The first time this happened to Data he turned himself over to Geordie because he assumed he was malfunctioning. Geordie now has a hilarious pick up story to try on every female he talks to for the next ten years.