did anyone else like Bashir from the word go?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dal Rassak, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know you're clearly not meant to. You're obviously meant to react to him exactly like O'Brien and think he's a stuck-up so-and-so at the start, and then warm to him gradually.
    I must confess he was one of my favourites straight off.

Yes, he was arrogant, which usually isn't an endearing quality exactly, but he wasn't arrogant in a hateful sneering sort of way. He didn't consciously act superior - he didn't even seem aware of how his behaviour could come across.
    He was arrogant in the way that a super-talented child can be: "Yes, of course I'm a genius, I know I'm brilliant, why shouldn't I mention this obvious fact?"
    I'ts not like with all his enhanced abilities he doesn't have a reason to think of himself as smarter and better - because he is!

In other ways he was incredibly naive at the start, which also makes sense as he would've led a very sheltered life, progressing through various institutions. You get the impression that his posting to DS9 is his first taste of the real world and he's as inexperienced as he's enthusiastic.
    It's that child-like quality (you could say childish I suppose if you wanted to be unkind) that made me forgive him a lot of his attitude, in fact I found it amusing.
    I absolutely love his first interaction with Garak in the second episode of the series, that ridiculous wide-eyed "wow, I'm talking to a real spy!!" reaction, that was just simply priceless.

I also liked the fact that here finally was a Starfleet character who wasn't so damn perfect - no-one comes fresh from the academy and is a finished article straight away! I liked him being flawed and less than tactful and a bit too full of himself; it made a refreshing change. Besides, even in the very first episode, when the station gets hit by the Cardassians and he has to tend to the wounded, you already get to see a side of him that's not immature. He jumps into action without hesitation, this is his expertise, he's absolutely competent and he knows exactly what to do.
    As the character grew and became more responsible and aware, I simply got more fond of him, but I never disliked him. In fact I think he's one of the best characters in all of Trek: deeply human, principled, courageous, compassionate, with a sense of humour, and to top it all off one of the most infectious smiles I've ever seen in anyone. What's not to like?!

2. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I always liked Bashir.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always found it amusing early on when Bashir had to reluctantly come to Sisko to ask permission and explain the latest scheme Garak's conned him into.

4. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I was JB/JLP from the beginning. ;)

I never really disliked Bashir. DS9 had such a large ensemble cast you only ever got him in small doses - and he was quite likeable in small doses. Had he been a main character in a show with a smaller cast I can see how he might get on your nerves.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I like Bashir but I think he was the weakest of the credits characters.

It was never his arrogance that bugged me about him. I think the massive genetic retcon did more harm to his character than good, especially since it didn't make much sense given his behavior the first few seasons.

What bugged me about him at the start was his obnoxiousness. Always butting in on things talking his head off, defined mostly by his lustfulness. As Worf put it, 'He is an overgrown child', and they didn't figure out how to make that endearing for a couple seasons.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I really like Bashir, from pretty early on, but I disliked how poorly he was written. The genetic "retcon" might have worked but they seemed to acknowledge it in very uneven ways. If they had totally run with the idea, it might have been very cool, but they didn't. It's like it just got forgotten along the way.

I liked that he was a bit obnoxious and too enthusiastic. It made him a more realistic character, in that he was flawed and bit arrogant. It made his humble moments all the more powerful.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always liked him. In the beginning he was great as the brilliant but green and socially awkward newbie to life on a space station. Thought it was great to see someone who came across slice of life realistic and not just fabulous because he had a uniform on.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I liked Bashir right away. He's one of my favorite characters from Trek period.

9. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Its wasnt that they didnt figure out how to make that endearing for a couple seasons but that they were purposley trying to make the character annoying to the audiance for the first season or so and then gradually making him bearable/endearing.

10. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I liked him from the start.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I didn't like him right away, but I liked watching him. At the very least he was amusing. I'd put him far ahead of bland season one Jadzia.

12. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I did not like him from the start but I am beginning to tolerate him. He seemed lonely and desperate and not liked but now he has changed some.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. I liked all of the DSN characters from the start, actually. Well, Dax was a bit bland at first, but she got better.

14. wingsabre

wingsabre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I liked him from the start, however I started watching around end of season 2 - season 3. Basically they moved the syndication time from 11pm to TNG's old time slot.

15. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked him, but his first scene made me dislike Kira.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Bashir right off the bat. Moreso when he began his interactions with Garak (who I simply adore).

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Bashir's first interaction with Garak made me like Garak but it didn't make me like Bashir. Bashir was just a little pathetic in that episode. (And all of season 1).

18. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I think he was always a good character to watch but took a while to become likable. Which is fine.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I liked him from the start and more so as it went on, especially his relationships with O'Brien and Garak.

One of my favourite Trek characters. Mind you, that applies to the whole DS9 cast...

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well.. one thing I did like was the DS9 staff seemed to listen to the fans when they realized Bashir had become the unpopular one and took steps to remedy that.