Ro Laren

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by los2188, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite line that Ro ever spoke, was when she and Geordi were thought to have been killed and somebody brings up the Bajoran death chant, which lasts over 2 hours. Ro just gets this awesome "Oh no...not the death chant!" line. It's just the way she says it. :rofl:

2. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

I loved Ro.
    I'm not sure what my favorite line of hers is...
    But I did like how she looked as Lt Ro. Might have been nice for her to come around as LCDR Ro during the dominion war to show how desperate starfleet was

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blaming Riker going after Ro's earring on her attitude makes no sense. He went into her for that before she even said anything beyond reporting for duty. He's a jerk to anyone outside of the command clique or that he's trying to seduce really.

I always found it hilarious that 5 minutes after he rips into her for that, she's asked to attend a meeting with Troi in her catsuit, and Worf in his huge sash. Yeah, be consistent with your enforcement of the rules, or stow it.

4. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Because he knew Worf would kick his ass.

I am so, so glad we got Major Kira (and I love Colonel Anastasia Komananov too!). I think it goes without saying that Kira having lived on Bajor during the occupation and being in the resistance was a major factor in this show. I don't think Ro really had any allegience to Bajor, let alone the prophets.

What I really would have liked, though, would have been for Ro to be a recurring character in the Maquis part of the story. Hell, I would have expected her and Tom Riker to hook up :D I thought Ro was a great character. We could have had some great interactions between her and Kira, as I'm sure they'd both have some things to say to each other, both having fought for their cause yet both having completely different feelings about their loyalty to Bajor and, the Prophets, the Maquis, etc.

5. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

I think Lower Decks reinforced this

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Riker really was a dick, wasn't he? Everytime I watch Defiant, I keep expecting to feel some sympathy for Tom Riker's fate (as I do for Eddington) but it's like: no, I got nothing. Though I do like Frakes :) I also admire Forbes for not getting too identified with a series character and trying new things.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread is making me happy.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frakes voiced the ultimate magnificent bastard role in Gargoyles. Xantos was probably the most awesome antagonist ever.

10. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, everytime this topic comes up, I keep thinking to myself how bizarre the series would have been if Ro would have been O'Brian's direct superior.

I think the show would have had to have gotten pretty messy. If we learned anything from TNG, we learned they disagree with each other A LOT.

11. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was certainly fleshed out as an atheist in the novels, but it was an arguably valid extrapolation from a line in "The Next Phase." When they think they're dead, and Ro worries that she might be a ghost, or a borhyas, she admits that she never really believed in the stories her people told. If she doesn't believe in ghosts, then it's certainly possible and/or likely that she wouldn't believe in the Prophets either. Like the Andorian-four-sexes thing - it's not necessarily the only interpretation, but it's an acceptable one that gave the writers something interesting to work with.

12. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ro wouldn't have considered Sisko the emissary. She didn't come across very religious. Growing up in refugee camps off Bajor would isolate the people form the prophets and the orbs.

The spiritual relationship between Sisko and Kira was very important to the series and several stories and arcs.

13. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were several great stories, one involving a comet that Kira thought was sent from the prophets, which created a lot of great drama between her and Sisko.

Sean

14. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first time I heard that it was originally intended that Ro be the Bajoran ranking officer on the station I was a little disappointed that it just didn't work out. In hindsight, it doesn't bother me so much, Kira was a great character, and likely a much better fit for what the role needed. That being said, it's still disappointing that Ro never turned up at some point, at least in a guest capacity.

15. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would assume they just couldn't reach a deal with Michelle Forbes .I would love to have seen Ro on DS9.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Ro wore the ear piece that was a symbol of the Bajorian faith.

:)

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Forget Ro, Admiral Cain should have been in DS9. :devil:

18. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Madonna wears crucifixes. Doesn't make her a saint:rommie:

19. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Is the earring exclusively religion-oriented, like a crucifix, or is it more generally cultural? Even if it was generally associated with Bajoran Prophet worship, it doesn't follow that wearing the symbol means she's a follower of the religion. Besides, she wore the earring on the opposite ear of all other Bajorans. Surely that indicates something about her belief, ranging from "I'm aware of all religious doctrine and beliefs, but choose to not participate" all the way to possibly meaning "I despise all religion and only wear the earring to keep the vedeks from squeezing my ear".

20. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The earring seems to have various meanings. Kira recognizes Li Nalas' earring instantly in "The Homecoming," which suggests there's some kind of family crest or memorable symbol on them that denotes family or something specific to the wearer. I'm sure I remember Kira saying that Shakaar fashioned her earring for her out of the metal of a Cardassian weapon or something like that, which suggests both that they don't get their earrings right at birth, and that they might symbolize a specific event or achievement or point of maturity. And Quark wore a big extravagant earring for the Gratitude Festival in "Fascination," which suggests that non-followers can wear them for fashion purposes if they choose, at least on special occasions.

And for Bajorans, there probably isn't much of a distinction between "cultural" and "religious" - their religion denies their culture almost entirely, at least for most citizens. So maybe the wearing on the other ear is the only way she could think of to make that distinction.