AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I doubt Joss would have that much final say on Norton's being (or not being) in the film. I would think much of that would be up to the studio(s), Marvel and the producers as they're the ones with the financial backing and in Marvel's case the creative control of the universe they're establishing. So if the producers, studio and Marvel wanted Norton in the movie and Joss didn't it would've been tough-luck, Mr. Whedon.

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a title, how about: "Hawk vs Spider" ? ;)

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best Black Widow story I read was the one introducing Yelana Belova as a Russian spy sent to kill Natasha to claim the official Black Widow title back to Russia.

That could easily work as a movie.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Black/'Eye

I like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a minor nitpick, but anyone else wish some of the character entrances had been a bit cooler? We're introduced to Iron Man... welding stuff underwater. And while Thor landing on the plane was cool, there was no real build-up to it all (except for a few little flashes of lightning beforehand). And Hawkeye just kind of emerges from a hole in the wall. Lol

Going into the movie, I was really expecting to see some exciting, thrilling entrances from these characters. But instead a lot of them just kind of fell flat.

Black Widow definitely got a cool entrance, but most of the others seemed to be introduced way too casually, I thought.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, considering we'd already been introduced to all these characters in the other movies, that didn't really bother me.

7. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Thor should come out of the blue, from the sky, like a bolt of lightning, just as he did here. He's the thunder god, after all.

8. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, Loki really sold Thor's entrance with his quip about not liking what comes next.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm, that does sound interesting. I like it.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love a S.H.E.I.L.D. movie focusing on Black Widow and Hawkeye, and Nick Fury and Maria Hill. I really enjoyed Natasha and Clint in the movie, but IMO some of the best stuff came when they were dealing with there relationship, and I would love to see a movie that focused more on that. And I would love more Maria Hill, because what was pretty cool, but we didn't get a lot of development for her. And it would be nice to get some more in depth stuff with Fury too. I honestly don't know if any of those characters could hold a movie themselves, but I think if we kept them together it could lead to some great things.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I thought Thor's intro was very cool, Iron Man's may not have been overly cool but Iron Man in the movies is more about Stark and he got a neat intro. Black Widow probably got the best intro, and the Banner intro was just more interesting in how Ruffalo played him. And then CA's intro, well, we pretty much saw it in his own movie but it was good as it -sort-of- showed us his recovery. But BW certainly got the best introduction.

(Save maybe Hulk's official introduction in the Helicarrier.)

I just got back from seeing it again (and will see it a third time this weekend in 3D) and, man it's still a very satisfying, fun and cool movie. Beyond nitpicks I really don't think I can find any flaws with it.

New nitpicks:

There were times when under Tony's Black Sabbath shirt (and granted he was wearing another shirt under that) you couldn't see the glow of his chest arc-reactor. Now, granted, one could argue it was obscured by the two shirts but then there were other times you could see it.)

The climax with Tony doesn't make much sense when scrutinized. He aims the nuke to go through the wormhole, in theory that's all he should need to do as the rocket's own engines will push the nuke through the wormhole and into the alien ships. There was no need for him to actually go through the wormhole and I'm not sure how he "fell back into it" (no gravity in space and all) but I suppose Earth's gravity could have been working through the wormhole and still had a latch on him because I guess he'd technically need to reach escape velocity even if Earth's footprint through the hole was tiny. But the scene plays well into Tony's "arc" in this movie with him sacrificing himself when the time came as alluded to when he was fighting with CA.

Things I noticed:

The weapon Coulson uses on Loki made the same noise the Destroyer did when it fired. (I'm guessing the weapon's technology was based on salvaging its remains after the events of Thor.)

I think Joss Whedon's "foot fetish" came into play a bit here with Paltrow padding around the new Stark Tower's floor in bare feet as well as Natasha padding around in stocking feet after her "interrogation" with the Russians.

I convinced Fury's "my boat" line was a Firefly nod. While technically calling the Helicarrier that is valid it's just an odd term for such a ship.

Anyone who doesn't think a Black Widow movie will work needs to watch this again and pay attention to her scenes particularly the "interrogation" scene with the Russians, her playing Loki, her talk with Hawkeye in the infirmary and then them talking during the big battle at the end. (BW says the fight reminds her of [some other one] and Hawkeye says back, "You remember [that place] very differently than I do."

Really, I think ScarJo did a great job in all of her scenes (again, superficialness aside).

For an afternoon showing on a weekday the theater was pretty crowded and the audience still laughed at all of the "right times" and with the beats of the movie. As with the other night Hulk pounding Loki got the biggest laugh masking his "Puny god!" line, as did Hulk punching Thor and then Hulk roaring to rouse Tony.

Really, I think this movie is just tons and tons of fun.

12. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Coulson in fact specifically says so. And, the weapon barrel has the Destroyer's energy 'glow'.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, Coulson flat out said that the weapon was made after Loki sent The Destroyer to Earth.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. So much fun. No, it's not the greatest piece of cinema ever, but it might be the best and most genuine comic book movie ever. All of the characters were pitch perfect, and they all got at least one moment in which to shine. I went with my brother-in-law (who's an even bigger comic book geek than I am) and we both had grins on our faces the entire time. This movie deserves every penny it makes.

A- (some parts in the first act were a little slow and a bit awkward, but that's understandable since there was five movies' worth of setup to get through)

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It was Budapest. I thought that line was pretty funny (partly because of Renner's delivery,) but at every showing I was at it didn't get a laugh.:wtf:

16. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

One of the things that impressed me was how much of the dialogue sounds like actual comic dialogue, and how well the majority of it actually worked. That's not an easy thing to pull off and still sound credible.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

It's always nice to see Jeremy Renner doing well, always thought he was cool from his one-time episode of Angel, as the vampire Penn, back in early 2000, Somnambulist

Great episode

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This is made even more explicit in the "Fury's Big Week" comic. When Selvig makes the breakthrough in re-powering the Destroyer (Which was recovered by SHIELD following the New Mexico incident), Coulson's instructions to Selvig were to "Dismantle it, make it 100 times smaller, and put a trigger on it."

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral