Bryan Fuller making Hannibal Lecter series!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Dexter was the first thing that sprung to mind that this potential show was trying to ape. However:

So, this sounds like Dexter meets Smallville.

The problem between Dexter and this potential show is that Dexter is completely open ended and can pretty much go anywhere, change the status quo, shift character dynamics, and, in general, not beholden to anything in particular.

This show, however, already has a predetermined ending that will, unfortunately, holds the writers back from doing things. If the series was about Hannibal going to place to place and getting involved with various hi-jinks, that would be one thing. However, since the description partners him with Will Graham, it locks them into a particular format.

The show, if produced, might be well-written, but I can also see it getting old quick with Graham "almost finding out". Bringing it back to Smallville, they jettisoned the "can't find out" element about midway though the series with most characters and were able to pull it off. With this show, I can't see them doing that successfully, because if one learns that Hannibal is a killer, he'll eat you! :lol:

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It is possible that Fuller and the producers won't hold this series to established continuity, but even if they are beholding it to any sort of regular resemblance of the character's history, most of us know that Graham finds out that Hannibal is a killer and he catches him. So, on some level, the ending of the show is definitely pre-determined and foreseeable.

In that respect, it absolutely resembles Smallville. Unless Fuller, the writers, and producers can find a way to make the series itself interesting and entertaining, but then again once you know the ending of the story, it takes away a lot of the suspense. I am assuming this show will be a procedural, and most of the suspense from these kind of shows comes from not knowing the outcome.

I think, though, that my biggest problem with this show is that the character itself has sort of lost his allure and appeal. That's mostly Thomas Harris's fault, but after four movies (five if you're including Manhunter) I'm not sure there's much left to say about the character that hasn't been already said. Even further, I think what made the character the most interesting was Anthony Hopkins' portrayal. Once you remove that element, the character becomes infinitely less interesting (something Hannibal Rising proved). The producers are going to have a very difficult time finding an actor who can portray Lecter even on a tenth of the level that Hopkins portrayed him.

I will concede, though, in one respect: At least the show is attempting to tread new territory in the Hannibal Lecter mythology. The dynamic between Lecter, who is still active in his career while trying to remain anonymous, while interacting and consulting with Will Graham could provide for some interesting psychological interplay. I always liked the Will Graham character and I thought his interaction with Lecter was fascinating. Here we are allowed to even further explore that interaction, and furthermore, delve into the meat of their relationship, which really sounds more interesting anyway.

So, bottom-line, I'm not entirely convinced that this show is a good idea (for either Fuller or in general) but at least the premise has potential. On one final note, though: they should change the title. Hannibal is the name of Harris's novel and the name of the film adaptation starring Anthony Hopkins and Julianne Moore. In order to differentiate this from that, and to give it a unique identity, the show should probably seek a different title. Besides, it also hints that Lecter will be the main character (i.e. protagonist) but of course that's just speculation on my part.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You guys are all basing your comments on the assumption that this pilot even gets picked up somewhere and we should know that this always isn't automatic. Especially given all the pilots that were passed on or abandoned this year, even "High profile" genre ones like "Wonder Woman" who had a very high profile "showrunner" in David E. Kelly attached to it didn't get picked up.

That being said...if this does get picked up it sounds like an interesting premise, but I haven't really been interested in anything Lecter oriented since "Silence of the Lambs".

4. Broccoli

^ That's why I kept referring to it using terms such as "potential show" and "if produced"! :techman:

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, hypothetically, if this show gets picked up, I will tune in.

6. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

It occurred to me that there is a very successful series of mystery stories that could serve as a model, of sorts, for this series: Nero Wolfe.

The stories concern a genius detective who never leaves his townhouse to actually investigate crime: Nero Wolfe himself. All the actual legwork is done by his assistant, Archie Goodwin, who narrates the stories.

The Lecter/Graham team could be a twisted version of the Wolfe/Goodwin pairing. If they mashed this up with Dexter, a season would involve Graham investigating a single case, while Lecter both assists him, plays mind games with him, and pursues his own avocation as a serial killer and cannibal. The final season would portray the endgame in this relationship, in which Graham investigates Lecter himself, without realizing it.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that's creative thinking! I'm not going to write off this show considering that there's probably about a 30% chance that it will even make it through all the hoops and go to series.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This sounds ... weird.

Firstly, the last really good Lecter movie was 20 years ago. I actually don't mind either Hannibal or Red Dragon - though I still think Manhunter is the best Lecter movie and Brian Cox the best Hannibal. I haven't seen Hannibal Rising as the book was so bad.

Secondly, this seems an odd choice for Bryan Fuller, given his past record. Having said that, he's a hugely talented guy and his involvement is easily the most attractive thing about such a show.

Thirdly, if this is to remain in continuity with the movies (and with the DeLaurentis family being involved, it may well be), they'll need to set it in the late 1970s - early 1980s. They can't set it in the modern day and remain in continuity, as Hannibal was a child, orphaned during WWII. Of course, they could 'reboot' and update it, but Hannibal's cannibalism compulsion arose from seeing Russian soldiers eat his little sister at the end of the war. How would a modern-day Hannibal develop this fixation?

Fourthly, the more of Hannibal we've seen, the less interesting he's been. Brilliant in small doses in Manhunter and Silence, OTT and hammy in Hannibal, cliched and dull in Hannibal Rising. All the accusations which can be levelled at the Star Wars prequels for ruining the character of Darth Vader can be levelled at it but with much more force.

And finally, we basically know the story of Graham and Lecter. And we know it will end with Graham finding out that the brilliant psychiatrist on who's help he's been reliant is a killer. And that Hannibal will stab him but will be caught. Fair enough, you can tell a brilliant story where the audience knows the ending - I'm just not sure that this is the one to tell

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I look forward to seeing where this goes...with a nice bottle of Chianti...

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    This sounds like a show I would LOVE!

I really hope this makes it to television!

And REALLY I hope they release the unaired episodes on BluRay after it is cancelled!

12. Temis the Vorta

Not sure how NBC is going to be able to show the levels of violence and ickiness that this topic is going to require...

13. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

NBC seems to be pushing some limits lately, the Grimm pilot was pretty dark.

14. Temis the Vorta

I didn't think it was very dark, but then again, I watch a lot of cable shows.

15. Broccoli

You are assuming that the show will require extreme levels of violence and gore. There are plenty of ways to pull of a show about a serial killer without resulting to a "hard-R" level.

16. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I still think a dark and twisted version of Nero Wolfe is the way to go with this.

But, what do I know.

17. Broccoli

I'm thinking Millennium without the religious and sci-fi stuff, but your idea is just as good.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The first season of Millennium was very dark, twisted and gory though that aired on Fox which is way more edgy than NBC has ever been so that is a worry. As long as they don't get scared they could pull off some intense stuff.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd really love to see another movie that takes place after "Hannibal". A series is less interesting. Then again, I said the same about the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/nbc-gives-series-order-to-hannibal-picks-up-notorious-drama-pilot/