So, lets talk "Blade Runner" ....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joel_Kirk, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

For what it's worth, according to Sean Young, it was a suggestion when they were going through the script that Deckard might be a replicant but the studio wouldn't go with it so it was dropped. That's all the evidence I need. Deckard was depicted as human in the theatrical release and no amount of retrofitting will change that. Especially not a unicorn clip randomly thrown in.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I've always thought that it doesn't matter either way if Deckard was a replicant or not. For me, the point to simply ask the question "what does it mean to be human?" IMO that's one of the core concepts of the whole film (and indeed, the book.)

The way I see it, in a sense, Roy was was human, at least in the end. And if that's the case then maybe Deckard could be too.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The big DVD/Bluray set has a really cool disc which contains a bunch of deleted and alternate scenes cut together with unused voiceover to make a sort of parallel what-if narrative.

4. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Boy, reading through this thread makes me want to watch the movie again.

At first, I didn't like it.

I remember looking at the VHS case and seeing Ford with the gun, thinking it was basically "Han Solo: The Movie", so I was expecting more of an action, sci-fi film.

But I've grown to like it with repeat viewings.

I saw the theatrical version with the narration, intending to watch the Final Cut and I still have yet to get around to it. I need to do that.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Deckard spends the whole final act of the film running away from Batty.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So would I.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't agree more. My overall feeling in '93 or whenever the DC theatrical release came out -- when it was still more of a cult/minor film and obviously before the issue had been discussed to death on the the internet -- was that the filmmaker had basically said "I've heard that some of you like to speculate that Deckerd might be a replicant. Well here's something for you to chew on," without much thought to the deeper implications. A gimmick, almost.

Well, it matters to the movie's theme and ending. Human Deckerd realizing that replicant Rachel is nonetheless also "human" and deserves a chance at living is a big, thoughtful and even noble statement on what it means to be human. Not just human consciousness, but understanding and empathy. Replicant Deckerd saying essentially "Oh shit, we better get out of here before they 'retire' me," not so much.

8. Drekstar

Drekstar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I read the Edge of Human sequel novel by K.W. Jeter. I wonder if they'll follow that if they want to finally make a sequel. Or likely it'll be different.

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I see. Seems hypocritical, but doesn't mean it couldn't be. Governments often don't follow their own laws.

Good detective, poor executioner.

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The script for Blade Runner 2 is done. The question is when Scott will get around to it.

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    It does get better with repeat viewings, at least it does for me. Since there are different cuts, there are different things to look for. (And, it does have an actual story to follow as well!)

It's interesting you mentioned "Han Solo: The Movie." The shot when Deckard first enters the Bradbury building to look up J.F. Sebastian is used for one of the "Star Wars" novels - I forget which. It's a shot where Deckard is wearing his coat collars up due to the heavy rain.

***​

One thing I always found funny was the Deckard/Leon confrontation: Leon asks Deckard, "How old am I?" And, Deckard immediately punches Leon thinking that he will knock out the replicant - since 1. Leon is superstrong, and will probably get the upperhand if Deckard isn't quick. 2. If Leon is knocked out, Deckard will have some options on how to proceed.

However, once Deckard hits Leon, his reaction is 'oh, shit that didn't work!' since the punch didn't really do much. So, Deckard decides to answer Leon's question with a desperate, "I don't know." (A reaction that seems like, 'no hard feelings,' even though Deckard will very possibly have to 'retire' Leon).

12. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That reminds me, I remember looking at BR toys at the store in '82. They were mini die-cast cars and "spinners." I knew about the movie but it was rated R and pretty much zero kids had seen it, including myself. I don't know what they thought the market for the toys was going to be, but it probably made the TMP toys look like a sales bonanza.

13. Marsden

Hey kids! Get your Terrell doll with removable eyes!

Actually, I'd be in the market for a full size Pris doll, er maybe I better not post that.... :lol:

14. Deckerd

You understand he was quit at the start of the movie because he hated being a Blade Runner? He was good at it but he hated it. The thing about all the replicants beating him up is a non-sequitur since he managed to survive all of them except Roy without getting killed himself. In the end Roy was human enough to not kill him for whacking all his friends (I'm guessing here that he didn't know that Rachel killed Leon). There's no indication anywhere in the film that being a Blade Runner is an easy job. The only other one seen at the beginning of the film ends up on life support in hospital.

15. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me the ambiguity of whether or not Deckard is a Replicant is one of the things that makes BR a great movie. I don't WANT a definitive answer because I like thinking about the question.

16. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...and, once again, Coop Swoops and says it...this...

...totally this!... :techman:

17. Marsden

I agree 100%. And I'm in the "he's human" side, completely, I do still appreciate there is no definitive answer.

Something I was thinking about discussing this movie; in almost every movie, there's a bad guy doing bad things and then a good guy beats him or kills him and we, the audience, are happy that he's gone. In Blade Runner, Roy is really nasty, kills lots of people, and in the end he saves Deckard's life and when he dies I felt bad. I don't think I've seen that spelled out that way before, I can't think of too many movies where that happens, unless it really telegraphed that "this bad guy is not a bad guy" and that is clearly not the case, Roy Batty is a heartless killer, he really doesn't have any redeming qualities and only saved Deckard so he could have someone to share his memories, but I still felt bad for him. Hauer was excellent in the role, but I don't think any of them were bad in this movie.

18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought as to why they'd use a replicant to hunt replicants: Why risk an experienced officer who may get killed, when you can build a throwaway one?
    :)

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Did anyone listen to BBC Radio 4's adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? with James Purefoy and Jessica Raine from a few months ago? I thought it was an interesting attempt at staking out the middle ground between PKD's novel and Blade Runner; the story was closer to Dick's (such as when Deckard finds himself a captive of the replicant's police department, or the Isidore plot), but with touches of Blade Runner (like Deckard's noir narration) and an ambiguous ending.

20. Deckerd

I don't think you understand the ethical dilemmas that this film addresses.

Just a personal addition: don't put smileys in unless they actually add something to the sense of your post. Hint: smileys never add anything to the sense of your post.