Was Amy's "present" always the future?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Gotham Central, Sep 30, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I'm usually pretty good trying to figure out British accents, a lot better than most people I know. But man, I sure did screw that one up.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Wait, Rory and Amy were only 21 when they started traveling with the Doctor? I never put that together :alienblush: I woulda put them at 25?

3. The Wormhole

Amy was 7 years old when she first met the Doctor, as stated in her narration at the beginning of The Beast Below. Since she began travelling in the TARDIS 14 years later, that would make her 21.

Karen Gillan actually was 21 when The Eleventh Hour was filmed, and Arthur Darvill was 27.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Darvill being older, but, the Characters being the same age, probably set my expectations older :alienblush: Yea, now that the evidence is spotlighted I see it, I just didn't put it together on my own without the "Scooby Doo-ing'

5. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

And then Angels come and spoil it for them. Typical.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Rory was meant to be older -- he was a licensed nurse, after all, which would put him in his mid-twenties at the youngest in the Atraxi part of "The Eleventh Hour." But then "Let's Kill Hitler" retconned him into a contemporary of Amy's.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

A nursing degree takes 3 years, so if he's newly qualified there's no reason Rory couldn't be 21 in The eleventh Hour.

8. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

As a side observation, one thing you have to kind of appreciate about Doctor Who is how understated the near future appears. If it is in fact 2020-21 in the Power of Three, you would never know it since it does not appear that anything has changed. (Though I suspect that if one were to step onto a typical British street in 1992, it would not look all that different compared to 2012).

9. The Wormhole

Except, The Eleventh Hour actually takes palce during 2008 and Amy and Rory should have been 19. The end scene where Amy agrees to travel with the Doctor was two years after the whole Atraxi thing.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

My goodness, that Rory's a bright young man, isn't he? Went and got his A-levels at 16 and qualified as a nurse by 19! Blimey, that man's smart. Must make his dad proud. :bolian:

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good point...

er, maybe Rory was held back at school because Mels kept nicking his homework...or something...

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Was Rory actually a nurse in the Eleventh Hour or are there clinics for those studying to be nurses?

13. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He could possibly have been on placement with a hospital while studying, although normally student nurses wear uniforms which make it obvious they are students.

14. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to the DVD commentary on The Eleventh Hour, that opening teaser was originally intended to take place in 1996, but it wasn't until the editing stage that they noticed that the Dome and the Eye shouldn't have been there, but Moffat reasoned that the TARDIS simply goes back in time before crashing in Amelia's garden. So, it's essentially a production mistake, but there's such an obvious explanation for it that the production team didn't waste time worrying about it.