Worst lines of dialogue in the entire series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mister Atoz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Mister Atoz

Mister Atoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Eggnostic, I think you hit the motherlode. "Cringeworthy" --LOL. Third season has the worst dialogue in the series by far, and I agree much of it is "as subtle as a wrecking ball." I think this is because of the departure of Robert Justman and of course the non-participation of Roddenberry too.

Incidentally, the "double red alert" is from Conscience of the King, when they are evacuating that sector of the ship as the hidden, overloading phaser is about the explode. Hell, I'd call a double red alert, too, if there was a phaser nearby about to blow.

~ Atoz

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

You mean it was Frank Gorshin's GHOST? :eek:

(I assume you meant to put a comma after "after" -- it makes a big difference! :) )

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

When Spock mentions "hot pursuit" in regards to chasing the Gorn in Arena. Cracks me up everytime! :guffaw:

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"You can't resist my love, My Love."
    -Elaan

Took me a few viewings as a kid to realize she wasn't stuttering.

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Enos, we're in HOT PURSUIT! Kwew kwew kwew!"

6. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Miramanee: "I thought you no longer had the dreams, that you no longer saw the strange lodge which moves through the sky."

7. NTRPRZ

NTRPRZ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"THE WOMEN!!"

8. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

"The computer has been configured to amplify sound by a factor of one to the fourth power."

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Silliest line I could not take seriously even if I tried.

"Destroyed Kirk? No! We are INVINCIBLE! Look what we've done! Your mighty starships! War toys to be CRUSHED AS WE CHOOSE!"

But the worst line that really makes me hate what I'm watching?

"Believe me, it is better to be dead than to live alone in the body of a woman."

10. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still don't get all the hate for this episode and Janice's sentiments in that. Janice is batshit crazy, and she sees herself and her career as an utter failure. Rather than accepting responsibility for that, she blames it on some sort of inherent bias against women in Starfleet. She's looking for an excuse. I don't take it as a factual statement about 23rd century attitudes concerning women. I take it as her attempting to rationalize her situation using whatever excuse she can find.

11. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the hate came from looking upon being a woman as worse than being dead. In any situation, that's pretty damn harsh.

12. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Which episode was that in? Makes me think of "Double Secret Probation."[/QUOTE]

"Double Red Alert" was from Conscience of the King, delivered by Capt. Kirk when Lenore Karidian put a phaser, set on overload, in the vent in Kirk's cabin - in order to eliminate him as one of the few remaining witnesses who can identify her father as Govenor Kodos of Tarsus IV.

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    "Double Red Alert" was from Conscience of the King, delivered by Capt. Kirk when Lenore Karidian put a phaser, set on overload, in the vent in Kirk's cabin - in order to eliminate him as one of the few remaining witnesses who can identify her father as Govenor Kodos of Tarsus IV.[/QUOTE]

Where red alert is simply an alert to immediate danger, double red could be shorthand for an internal emergency such as an impending hull breech which could trigger an evacuation of the area the alert is given from? In reality, it probably just sounded dire to the writers.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

it's "FOUR" toys.

[Picard] There are FOUR toys! [/Picard] ;)

15. Chrislove22

Chrislove22 Cadet Newbie

Underrated and hilarious.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

E PLUB NISTA!

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. :techman:

18. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Not intending to demean the later series, but I do think TOS tended to more often demand more of the viewer in terms of thinking for themselves and "filling in the blanks," as it were, while the later series tended to spell everything out. I can imagine the same episode redone for TNG (with apologies to CoveTom for the stolen dialog :D):

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

WESLEY: "I don't understand Dr. Lester's last statement...about living as a woman being worse than death."

[LEFT]WORF: "Dr. Lester is batshit crazy."

BEVERLY: "She sees herself and her career as an utter failure."

DEANNA: "Rather than accepting responsibility for that, she blames it on some sort of inherent bias against women in Starfleet."
    [/LEFT]

GEORDI: "She's looking for an excuse."

PICARD: "I don't take it as a factual statement about 23rd century attitudes concerning women. 20th century, maybe--"

RIKER: "20th century? Those poor, primitive people. I'm surprised they managed to survive their own ignorance."

PICARD: "Yes, quite, Number One. Anyway, I take it as her attempting to rationalize her situation using whatever excuse she can find."

19. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wesley: "So Starfleet DID allow women to be captains in Kirk's time?"

(Awkward silence)

20. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sad/brilliant part is how easily I was able to hear each character's voice while I was reading this. Spot on.:techman: