The Frasier thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Amasov, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's that time again for us to share our all-time favorite moments from the comedy series, Frasier. I like to create one of these threads and remember all those classic moments that made us laugh so hard. I think long and hard about this, but I have to put Frasier down in my book as the funniest series ever on TV. No show has ever made me laugh harder than this one. Some shows have come close, but I consider Frasier to be the gold standard. In some ways, it's like watching great theater.

I'm going to start with one of my favorite episodes from season six, Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz.

Frasier has to pretend to be Jewish to please his new girlfriend's mother. What I love so much about this one is that it's one of those episodes where everyone has to pretend to be someone/something they're not. It starts off innocently enough, and even looks like Frasier might get away with it, but very quickly it escalates to include Niles and Martin. Another of those classic Frasier farces, with each lie inevitably calling forth an even bigger lie until the whole deception collapses under the strain.

Niles was so good in this one -- having to play Jesus in a Christmas play, only to be caught. I laugh so hard each time when Frasier catches sight of Niles in his full Jesus costume and screams out, "JESUS!"

:lol: :guffaw:

The other one I always bring up, from the same season, Three Valentines.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTdD_dVyteA[/yt]

I am still in awe of David's performance here.

Let the conversation roll!

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ That one's pretty memorable to me, and I haven't ever really watched the show as much as I wished I had.

"Well what could I do? I threw a blanket over it."

Maybe this should be my next whole series buy on DVD or blu-ray.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

My favorite moment is half-serious. I can't find video of it yet.

In the episode with Niles heart surgery, Daphne is so distraught she trashes a vending machine just to stop Frasier and his dad from arguing over a candy bar. Powerful scene.

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favorite shows :).

As for favorite moment... I really loved when Niles and Daphne danced (the red dress episode). So beautiful, touching and heartbreaking at the same time.

5. Amasov

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiDsNldHMCQ[/yt]

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

The look on his face just before he yells. It kills me everytime I see it.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I absolutely love this series. Yeah, I think it's time I get this on DVD.

So many good moments. Yeah, I too love the red dress dance scene. I also really loved the ski lodge sequence where everyone is chasing someone through door after door. And the ski instructor is gay and after Niles while Niles is after Daphne and Frasier is after Daphne's friend.

"So it's a threesome you're after. Well I don't do those anymore!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5wC-p7wi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9WYRH8vCI

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Great show. Watch it every day. Amazing they can make the Frasier and Niles characters likeable. In real life they'd be detestable.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:lol: :techman:

9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember NBC hyped that as "The funniest seven minutes you'll see on TV," which, even though I'd been an on-again/off-again Frasier watcher, made me tune in. Damned if they weren't right.

I can't find a clip, but I love in "A Tsar is Born" from season 7 when the boys and their dad are fighting over who gets to watch the TV. The boys want to watch Antiques Roadshow and Martin wants to watch a game show. They quickly figure out that they all want to watch the same show.

10. Romulus Prime

Romulus Prime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There was one episode which I recall Martin says: "Sex is something between you and the person you're doing it to!"

I love that line.

:rommie:

11. Amasov

The ending of this episode is absolute gold.

Frasier: Well, we're both out $15,000 each.
    Niles: And we have to take long trips in a Winnebago.
    Frasier: And we're not Romanovs. We're descendant from thieves and whores.

:guffaw: :guffaw:

12. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I love this from Lilith Needs A Favor:

Lilith: I mapped out our dominant and recessive traits on a genome square, applied Mendel’s laws, allowed for anomalies, and concluded that you are the best biological choice.

Frasier: I see. Well, as enticed as I am by your honeyed words. I’m gonna need some kissin’.

Cracks me up every time I see it :)

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

What was that episode where Martin pretends that Niles is his gay boyfriend and Roz is Maris?

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Isn't that the one where Daphne's old boyfriend from England comes calling and wants her back?

15. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

My favorites:

- The one where they make a live radio mystery show. "Sound of ominous organ music indicating trouble ahead."

- The one where Niles and Daphne are stuck at Niles' place and there's a storm. "My glockenspiel has SPRUNG to life!"

- When Frasier sings Buttons and Bows at the fundraiser and forgets the lyrics

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're thinking of two different episodes, the first is Out With Dad from season 7 and the second is The Two Mrs Cranes from season 4. The Two Mrs Cranes is definitely one of my favourites, it's probably the most OTT farce they did by having everyone lie about something (except Eddie), with Martin taking advantage of the situation by pretending to be an astronaut. :lol:

17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

There are far too many good moments in that show... and now I have "Flesh is burning... nananana naa naa... flesh is burning... nananana naa naa..." stuck in my mind.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, I think that scene goes a bit too far in playing with the "Niles is a ninny!" idea.

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Certainly a candidate for best sitcom ever.

The ensemble acting is both crisp and seamless. The dialogue is crackling. Just an absolute joy to watch.

Here's a fun clip, but not from the show itself.

Enjoy!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrpPGZfEycc[/yt]

:techman:

20. Amasov

I said it before, but no sitcom has ever made me laugh harder than Frasier has. For me, it's the number one best sitcom ever created. I remember watching the finale the night it aired back in May of 2004. I was so sad the show was ending because I knew there was never going to be another comedy like this again. As I said, I think a few come close (Curb Your Enthusiasm and Becker come to mind), but none have been able to deliver the wit and sophistication that Frasier has.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFeDurHzx8[/yt]

"You've got to dump dad!"

"Damn you and your jealous questions, you don't own me!"

:guffaw: