DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

legion to me is one of those titles where I can set through anything. just a huge fan of the legion.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge fan as well, but the two main books out now suck. Levitz is incredibly irritating as a writer with unfocused story arcs and all kinds of stuff going on. I'm sure he wasn't this way when he was writing the Legion back in his heyday but his recent stuff has been somewhat erratic.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty horrible since it's co-written by Van Sciver and Simone apparently walked and quit sometime after #6.

You are better off reading back issues of BoP or Secret Six because her recent stuff has been terrible.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman is a very poor comic, completely out of date - particularly jarring is how Perez has the characters providing narration for things we can clearly see on the page, a style that was considered old hand in 1982.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am a Firestorm fan, as much as anyone can be, I guess, but the new book isn't doing it for me. I haven't read #3 yet and due to my love of the character, I don't think I'll drop it, but man, it better start to impress. I loved the previous series, at least the Stuart Moore issues. He really did a great job with the story and developing Jason's characterization.

As far as Simone goes, she's rather hit or miss for me. I was not big on her run on Action Comics, but Villains United/Secret Six was amazing. I tried the Birds of Prey series that came out last year and was rather bored.

I think when Simone is writing characters who are depraved and she can go full tilt with that, she's great, but when she is writing "good" characters, she struggles.

Unfortunately, Firestorm fits into the latter category.

I feel the same way. I started with Legion during the "Five Years Later" storyline, which was probably the title at its most inaccessible. I really, really loved the post-Zero Hour team and when Waid and Kitson were on the "Three-boot" book. Johns seemed to have some interesting ideas post "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes"/Legion of Three Worlds, but Levitz went in different directions.

I stuck with the previous title the whole way through, but wasn't that interested by it. I really should have dropped it earlier, but for some reason, hung on. I tried the first issue of the current series and that was enough for me to drop it. Legion Lost was just plain horrible and the less said about it, the better.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Batman: The Dark Knight #2 and #3: I dropped the title after #1, but picked up the next two issues because I want to find out more about this White Rabbit.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #3: Kyle Rayner's last days as a green lantern are at hand, something big seems to be going on with all the corps that has even the Guardians of Oa mystified, and Larfleeze is back.

I thought about getting Gotham City Sirens: Songs of the Sirens and Batman: Noël, but didn't want to shell out for them just yet.

I'm also a Firestorm fan. I think the current story has some fascinating elements. I like the idea of a device that can turn people into Firestorms and the people who are after our guys are pretty ruthless, but that's about it. The main characters themselves aren't that compelling.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I read Aquaman#3 last night and the book does indeed continue to impress. The man in the picture that someone, somehwere I post, suggested might be Ocean Master turns out to be a new character...or so it seems unless I'm missing something. Arthur did allude that he could be a dangerous person but now he's just sad. Seems they will find a way to make him into something but now he's just...sad. They also set up that "he's going to come after it you know", the original owner of the Trident is coming. Not coming in any hurry it seems cause he has it in JLA also, meaning Arthur's had it about 5yrs. Looking forward to visiting the Trench next issue.

Re: Firestorm - I like the character(s) also, the prior title was a good read. After the first issue used racial undercurrents I rolled my eyes at the laziness and 70's vibe of that type story telling and didn't get issue 2. I await when Firestorm can be a cool book once again with a writer who wants to write more modern and not act like the Civil Rights movement is new.

8. Admiral_Young

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I'm the biggest Superman fan there is, but I finally had to give up on this one. Maybe if the art was really strong, I could live with the dated, stodgy storytelling, but the art's not much to look at either.

I did finally get around to reading the latest Justice League, and I gotta say, I like this version of WW about a thousand times better than the one in her own title. She's fun and sexy, and she likes to fight as much as the guys do.

10. Admiral_Young

^Don't give up on it yet...remember next issue Jurgens and Griffin are on the book. I believe this week's was Perez's final issue.

11. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Nope. Perez is on until issue 6. This month was Krul's last issue on Green Arrow. Giffen and Perez are taking over that one too.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Oh yeah...my mistake. I remember now. I was gonna give it a chance until at least issue three but yeah Superman is getting dropped until the new creative team comes aboard.

13. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been thinking of trying out New Guardians. Is it worth it?

14. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I caught that. Really weird, and I like their theory that the Flashpoint reality is now translated into a comic book (though it's obviously just a joke). Enjoyed the issue too - JL Dark has been something of a slow-burner, but that's one of the things I like about it. The characters are fun to read and I'm looking forward to seeing their (highly dysfunctional) personalities clash. I feel a big confrontation with Enchantress just around the corner.

15. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I read the first issue and it was pretty slow. I'm not sure if it picked up. I don't really have the money to get stuff that's mediocre, even off of one issue. I did really like the concept of it.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was more happy that DC decided to regulate the multiple corps (Sinestro, obviously, excluded) to a single title. I tried the first issue and wasn't overly impressed. I saw online the last page of the current issue and it looks decent. I might go back and get the issues or the trade when the current arc is done.

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's starting a bit slow, but this one seems to actually the one that will having some big repercussions across the Lantern titles. Frankly, a rebellion against the Guardians is long overdue. In this latest issue, all they need are mustaches to twirl.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No it's terrible.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of having people from several lantern corps together, so I like it. I also want to find out what big thing is going down.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, I've read the first volume of All-Star Superman and I wasn't too impressed. Some of the "chapters"/issues in it were good but at the same time some of the stuff I'm not to impressed with. Namely the Jimmy Olsen-centric issue.

But it's certainly better than All-Star Goddamn Batman and Dick Grayson Age Twelve.