Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the works

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 3, 2010.

1. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

If this movie is a hit Asylum will have to do SOME kind of knock-off. I don't see why it couldn't be Obama. :lol:

2. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a pretty easy-going historian, unfortunately.

But I can pretend to be uptight, if there's a paycheck in it for me.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I just want it to do well so have more good Vampires movies, and have them make "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre", "Jane Slayre" and "Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter". Could be a strangely epic series.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has nothing to do with being a hit. The Asylum will release something with a similar name or plot at around the same time as the big studio movie hits theaters. Looks like they've already got "Grimm's Snow White" and "American Battleship" coming out this year, but no Barack Obama: Vampire Hunter yet.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no interest in reading the book, I really didn't care for Alice, but... well, Burton has a dependable style I generally like and this seems on the surface to be the kind of pulpy, inherently goofy premise that's worked pretty well for him in the past. I'll remain feeling vaguely positive until inclined to feel otherwise.

Precisely. Asylum's entire market strategy revolves around people mistaking their film for a Hollywood film with a similar but slightly different name. If they wanted to capitalise, they'd probably release something called 'Abraham Lincoln and Vampires' or whatever.

Well maybe it'd get criticized but there's plenty of pretty weird Barack-themed products in existence already.

Now adapting any of those into a film, that way is madness...

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The book is tons of fun...the author also wrote the screenplay. Burton is only producing the film...I wonder why one would assume Burton is also directing this film and judge it based on that? Timbur Bekmambetov is directing the movie, probably has a more gritty and edgier style than Burton does without the goth and pseudo campiness. Plus the film has a pretty stellar cast to. The score is being composed by Henry Jackman who did the excellent score to "X-Men: First Class" last year.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Tim Burton didn't direct The Nightmare Before Christmas either, and yet there aren't many Tim Burton films any Tim Burtonier. So I kind of assume Tim Burton's involvement will mean recognizably 'Tim Burton' repurposing of Gothic and Expressionist styles for the movie.

Also never saw a Timbur Bekmambetov film. I remember seeing the trailer to Wanted years ago, which looked dreadful, but maybe this'll seem more enticing.

8. Admiral_Young

"Wanted" was pretty decent...Timbur though is more well known for his gritty Russian vampire duology. I suspect he was picked for those more than for "Wanted".

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're hired! :bolian:

The campaign I envision wouldn't require any actual historians. Easier to just get them straight from central casting and toss a tweed jacket at them.

I've never seen the need to avail myself of an Asylum opus, but I think that would be enough to do it. Barack Obama, Zombie Hunter. John Boener as head zombie.

Also, the screenplay should be written by the same guy who wrote the John Omaha/Japanese teenage girl body-swap story.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Obama Banzai: Across the 8th dimension

:lol:

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably not in the way you think. I think the people that would be offended would actually be the ones who *don't* like Obama.

12. Admiral_Young

@JarrodRussell go back in the thread...I'm sure you'll see Gaith's protest against this project and the debate that ensued.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've seen Night Watch, which was a convoluted mess...but also strangely captivating. Hopefully this film makes a bit more sense, though.

14. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Which version of "Night Watch" did you see? I thought it didn't make much sense either, but then I found out that the version released internationally appears to be 10 minutes shorter than the original russian release (but I don't know if the full version makes more sense, since I didn't like it enough to search for it).

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't remember. I saw the film several years ago via Netflix, sometime during 2005-2007, so it was whatever version of the film was available on DVD in the United States at that time.

16. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

^That was probably the short version then. According to Wikipedia the original cut was only released on DVD in Russia and some countries in Europe.

Shouldn't there be a trailer released for this film soon? Maybe with "Underworld: Awakening", since they're both about vampires?

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

"Awakening" has had three main trailers and 4 major TV spots over the last month already, still nothing for this one, it be being released later.

18. Admiral_Young

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The poster is awesome.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, it's official, The Asylum has started pre-production on... Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. :guffaw: