Spoilers VOY: Children of the Storm by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, May 23, 2011.

?

Rate Children Of The Storm.

1. Outstanding

72 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Above Average

44 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Poor

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

I'm not a writer myself; I've tried it a few times, and can't seem to grab a hold of anything I want to say. But, the more I read from the writers I admire and enjoy, the more things like this are a common theme. I think that if you're true to the characters, and think about what they need in order to grow, the right themes emerge seamlessly.

Across all thee of these books so far, I think the most impressive thing is how well you've focused on exactly that - what the characters need in order to grow. The session between Chakotay and Cambridge in the second half of Full Circle comes to mind, but also the fantastic undercutting of Seven's whole arc when she realizes that she didn't want to go with the Caeliar, etc. Every story gives the characters exactly the necessary circumstances to bring out the strengths and weaknesses we never knew were there. Just look at how many people in this and the other Voyager review threads have said things like "I never liked the Voyager characters until now", particularly with Chakotay. It means the new characters are instantly memorable, as well; I don't think you'd have any complaints if O'Donnell were to make regular appearances, for instance.

It's funny how, for a franchise that was originally so thoroughly based around exploring to some depth the particular strengths and weaknesses of three very human characters, so many Trek stories haven't been constructed with the same emphasis.

In a lot of ways, the post-Destiny Voyager books so far don't just feel like quintessential Voyager stories, but quintessential Star Trek stories. I think a lot of TOS fans that didn't really get the 24th century series would find a lot to appreciate here.

...sorry, I'll stop gushing now :) Book was good, is what I'm saying.

2. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Book was very good indeed. While I may write a "full" review at some point; the quick thought I wanted to land was that I very much appreciated the fact that the novel had alot of Neelix in it.

Neelix is often an underappreciated character; but he has some of the best episodes when Voyager was on air (such as Mortal Coil), and also has some fantastic lit on him (such as his section in Pathways by Jeri Taylor).

Sometimes it's the little things that make a novel come to life. Don't get me wrong; there was much more to Children than Neelix, but for me, it got the novel off to the perfect start.

3. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Finished the book this morning and really loved it. Felt like a great Star Trek novel. My only criticism is that I'd like to have seen more of Voyager and its crew, but I wouldn't want anything else in the book cut, just a longer book!

Hope we get more Voyager from Kirsten Beyer soon because at the moment Voyager is higher on my Trek-Lit list than TNG or many other series. :)

4. Angstromdweller

Angstromdweller Lieutenant Red Shirt

At least we know that she is working on a forth book. :)

5. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Benny,
    Again, words fail to express the profound gratitude I feel when I read praise like this. Really, thanks so much.

Thrawn,
    Just because you haven't figured out what you need to say yet, doesn't mean you may not be a writer. In time, you might be surprised. Apparently I wanted to write, even as a young child...though I don't remember the specific desire at the ages I apparently expressed it...but it was about 10 years of writing all kinds of things before I figured out how to do it in a way that actually expressed through dramatic action what I was trying to say.

And that's just one kind of writing. What I've read of you here leads me to believe that at the very least, you've got some essays in you. :)

Johnhead,
    Yeah, I like Neelix too. I get why others don't, but when I re-watch the show...Mortal Coil comes to mind for me, too...I'm often surprised by how much more I like him now than perhaps the first time I was watching the show. And his growth in the show, particularly by the end, is what I get to play with now, which is more fun than early Neelix who was still looking to find his place.

Csalem,
    Many thanks.

Best,
    Kirsten

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally wrote my review recently and now it's up at Unreality SF.

Short version: Very, very good. :)

7. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

loved it, and i'm glad that the first officer of the demeter isnt going to be jettisoned from the series. hopefully we can see his progression, even if several books down the road.

also, i happened to hear the g&t podcast of the shore leave panel with kirsten. it was spot on and dealt with the issues in an even tempered manner. personally, i was glad that sisco was brought back, but it wouldnt have been so bad if he had never returned.

there wasnt a single downside to the book, and now i care about the other ships in the fleet to a greater extent and want to know what happens in their futures...both during the mission and post delta quad mission.

it would be nice to get a picture of the bridge crew of voyager with the new crew members... a la what was done with the new frontier books 5 and 6.

solid kirsten, as weyoun would say 'you keep writing, and i'll keep reading.'

8. AstroMike

AstroMike Captain Captain

It took me awhile to read it because of my schedule, but I loved it. I love the whole task force of ships in a new region of space concept. It was very well done.

9. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I agree. Kirsten is doing a fantastic job introducing her new characters as the story needs them instead of in one fell swoop. At the same time, the tv characters still get their "air time" as well. They're being moved along in a logical progression from the series' finale.

I can't help but wish the Titan characters had been introduced and/or developed the same way. (I enjoy the Titan series, don't get me wrong, but I still can't keep everyone straight on that ship without a cheat sheet.)

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a question regarding the Progenitors. Cambridge and that other crewmember basically said that the Progenitors were conversing from their posteriors about life in our galaxy all being seeded by them, and supposedly others thought so too.

Does that have anything to do with Eden's origins and will it being be followed up in the series?

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow! Even better than Unworthy Kirsten. Thanks so much for continuing this storyline. You are the perfect author for it. I hope you get to continue for many more books. Can we get a confirmation that a 4th is on it's way? Any teasers about it?

Loved Miral's roll in the story and the inclusion of Neelix. I think it will be intersting to see the Cambridge/Seven storyline continue. And I really hope we eventually return to some old Voyager storylines like the Kazon, Hirogen, Borg Cooperative, Vaaduar, Unimatrix Zero, and Kes.

12. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Hey folks,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this but I've been...you know...working on the new story.

Anyway, to those who recently posted their thoughts...many thanks. It's always great to hear people's reactions.

Benny, re: the Progenitors, etc...this was a trail Cambridge was following that ultimately led nowhere for him. But it's not the end of the story as far as Eden goes. Her mysterious past is a large part of ongoing development.

I'll feel more comfortable absolutely confirming the new novel in the next few weeks when it's a done deal. I believe it will be, but when I can, I'll post again with more info.

Best,
    Kirsten Beyer

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the info, we'll be eagerly waiting like a lab waiting for dinner. Trust me, that is very excited.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i thought this was brilliant and the whole scene with Miral and the swivel chair had me literally laughing out loud.

15. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed it, but I have to admit I liked Full Circle and Unworthy a bit more. I am on the fence still on how I feel about the counselor...

16. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like his counseling methods more than Troi's. I would also have a difficult time maintaining a train of thought when she wore that green dress.

I also think the counselor did a superb job getting Chakotay out of his funk and self pity. I like him so much that I need to go to Beta so I can remember his name.

Anyone heard if Mark Rademaker is still working on a Voyager refit for 2013?

17. captcalhoun

i wouldn't have any difficulty maintaining a train of thought while Troi was in those jumpsuits or the dress. it'd just be an express train straight into the sewers...

18. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Finished the novel a few weeks ago. Absolutely outstanding, look forward to the next one.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Hugh Cambridge, isn't it?

20. captcalhoun

yarp