5x08 The Hungry Earth (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 22, 2010.

?

Your thoughts about the episode?

1. Fantastic!

16.5%
  2. Good

53.8%
  3. Average

22.0%
  4. Meh

6.6%
  5. Hopefully it gets swallowed by a very hungry earth.

1.1%
  1. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

In the scene that they cut and showed in the Confidential, the Doctor said that was their future in this time stream. Since a big theme this season has been all about how time can be rewritten and is not set in stone, I have a feeling that won't really be their future.

And since both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan (but not Arthur Darvill) have been signed for next season, I have a feeling that Amy's loss of Rory in "Amy's Choice" was just a warm-up for the real thing.

2. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

It was shorts, so I doubt it.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't think so... the obvious choice would be the aggressive older guy. But I believe the woman will do it. They set it up with her weapons... the rifle in particular. They showed it, it will be used.

4. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I wonder if the guy who has been infected will go mad and kill her or could be that they kill her by accident?

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes but Rory is the least obvious choice. Not infected, not tooled up to the nines...

Of course it could be a double bluff!

Anyone else surprised how quickly they rigged a village wide surviellance system?

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    These are folks from a country that can get a flight of Spitfires converted and into space in under 20 minutes.;) But the writers could take better care to deal with some basics about time to do things. Given the area they covered, perhaps, but where did all the equipment come from, unless the drill site had a whack of surveillance stuff?

Hiding in the church? Sure, but the TARDIS could have been set further away so one didn't ask why the few folks weren't shuttled to safety in there. I know the Doctor is reluctant to bring strangers inside but in this instance it just seems silly that the TARDIS wasn't used.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Blogger MaryAnn Johanson has drawn some interesting conclusions from that very thing. I don't know that I buy them, but there's certainly a sense that narratively things are firing on cylinders that they simply didn't in the RTD-era.

8. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Homo Reptilis" is taxanomic nonsense, though that whole thing could be the genus name I guess..i.e "Homoreptilis"

Sloppy science though...

9. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Yes because, you know, they've been around long enough to be studied and classified properly. In no way was it just a random, off-the-cuff phrase used to drive home his point. It was the taxanomic name for them, bar none!

Yep.

Nailed it.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I've just finished watching the episode, and I'm curious. What was this "deleted scene" you're referring to?

11. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@ Checkmate The doctor would never make the mistake, off-the-cuff or not.

"Homo" is specific to the mammalian side of the tree. Unless they are warm blooded primates who suckle their young, they have no business being lumped into the genus Homo.

ETA - mind you, it was sloppy science in the classic series to have even called them Silurians in the first place, so I guess there is a certain internal consistency in it..

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Going from memory of the Confidential scene, Amy and the Doctor walk down to the road and the Doctor asks where Rory is. Amy says he is putting the engagement ring in the TARDIS and she comments on how Rory is always dawdling along. The Doctor mentions that he does like Rory as they are walking along to the drill site. Amy mentions the other Rory and Amy and the Doctor says that it is a future for this timeline. One could take it as foreshadowing something bad for Rory in the next episode.

13. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Written by Chris Chibnall.

The clues are there.

14. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

You can watch it here.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not convinced that means anything-- I think that Noel Clarke and Camillie Corduri were always hired on an episode-to-episode basis despite their prominence in the series.

It had just better be used for something in Part Two, otherwise that was weird and pointless!

Sloppy science in Doctor Who? Surely not!

You know, I ain't a fan of the Chibs at all, but which Doctor Who writer didn't engage in this sort of thing?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Silurians:

Funny thing is the show runners actually went to the trouble of correcting the in The Sea Devils. So have to give them props for that. :) 'Eocenes' being the proper name.

Hiding in the Tardis:

Problem was, the Tardis looke dlike it was about a mile away. Wasn't really time to herd everyone over there and still deal with the approaching enemies.

Time it took to set up the system:

Yeah, that bugged me a little too. But I just chalked it up to 'tv time'. Tons of shows seem to do it.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did they even mention the word "Silurian" in this episode. I heard Homo-reptilian, former owners of earth, and I think something else. Here I am thinking they introduced a new race, and everyone knows who they are? That was one of I liked about RTD who. They brought new fans up to speed with short descriptions on what they were encountering.

I liked this episode. Not the best one of the season, but still very enjoyable. Like others said, it was mostly set up, but it was good set up and looking forward to the next one. As for the settings and stuff, I've been liking them all season. They make things seem more organic and real. Also, it's very appreciative to see more scenes in the Tardis. I still feel since "Rose" that they really haven't done much in terms of developing the TARDIS for the newer generation. One time it was implied that it was alive, but that's pretty much it.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes the Doctor says their name...

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

We're also assuming the waving Future Rory and Future Amy were doing was a greeting. It could have just as easily been a warning. The real question is why were they doing either from such a great distance? Staying out of sight clearly wasn't a priority.

20. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a lot of taxanomic nonsense before the advent of DNA testing. It's obvious that Doctor is using the human term for the Silurians.