IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless Orci has plans for the TNG characters in the next movie, then DS9, being the next most popular Trek series would be the go to for the comics.

I'm only speculating, half-jokingly at that.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That's no way to speak about Piotr. ("Day of the Dove.")

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, it makes sense-- save the popular TNG characters for the grand finale.

4. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

On a different subject, "Lost Apollo, Part 1" should be coming out next Wednesday (I can't find accurate release dates for the ongoing series anymore). Now the blurb goes,
    I'm guessing that if they say "species", then the Enterprise will encounter more Beings besides Apollo in this version of "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Your math is bad. :) Enterprise: TFA takes place five years before "The Deadly Years"; Kirk is said to be twenty-nine when he takes command in the novel. That would mean that Rand would be biologically about twenty at the time of the series.

Yes, yes, I know, I know. You're trying to make E:TFA work within the Okudachron timeline and what we know about Kirk's five-year command. Sometimes, maybe it's best to not try and force something to fit something it's not meant to fit with.

That specific element? I have no idea.

Setting the book roughly five years before the television series? Perhaps she was drawing on the idea in fandom that Kirk commanded two five-year missions prior to his promotion to Rear Admiral.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, McIntyre's timing for E:TFA is most likely based on Kirk's bio in The Making of Star Trek, which says he's 34 years old and has commanded the ship for over four years (which would mean he'd been in command for two years before the first season, since TMoST was written in season 2 and he was 34 as of "The Deadly Years').

7. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It could be perhaps that Chekov Prime's mother was serving aboard the Kelvin as a crew member, but was killed in Nero's attack, whereas she wasn't in the Prime Universe. Chekov's father remarried and had nuChekov with a different woman, but decided to name this son Pavel as well - perhaps the name of a deceased relative, so the same name was selected? I tend to think of nuChekov as not the same person as the Prime version, unlike the other characters ...

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it'd be small-universe syndrome to have every change be so directly linked to the Kelvin's destruction. Like I said, events have ripple effects that can propagate far beyond any obvious connection. If the Kelvin's destruction led to an alteration in Starfleet's policies and practices -- say, prompted more shipbulding and a turn more toward defense and away from exploration, as seems to be the case -- then that could affect hundreds of thousands of people's lives, changing what jobs they were assigned to and where, and the consequences of that would spread widely. Even if there's some kind of cosmic probability force driving people toward the same nexus points in their lives, so that they tend to end up meeting the same people in the same assignments, it could still happen in a different way at a different time -- as we see with the entire c. 2267-era Prime-Universe Enterprise command crew already being in place nine years early.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be cool if one of the timeline changes was that Jean-luc had dreads.

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I won't settle for anything less than the Full Centauri.

[​IMG]

11. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember Lindelof (I believe) suggesting that the third Abramsverse Star Trek film would deal with a Federation-Klingon war, the same war that was provoked in the events of Into Darkness. However, the comics have already dealt with that. Do ya'll think they will disregard the events of the comics and continue with that premise? Or "count" the comics, leave the war done with, and make the more exploratory movie that many fans called for? Especially now that Lindelof is gone.

Thoughts?

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there were any serious plans on doing the war in the next movie, Orci wouldn't have allowed the comics to have touched it. Simple as that. So whatever else Trek XIII is about, it won't be war between the Federation and the Klingons.

13. Enterprise1701

Woah. So "Lost Apollo, Part 1" apparently isn't about first contact with the Beings but another lost Earth ship: this time from a fictitious version of the real-life Apollo program.

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-lost-apollo-part-1

I like how it's an original story, but where would the "lost Apollo" be in the prime reality?

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Wow, Star Trek's Earth must have had more ships, probes and satellites flung out into deep space than they had end up where they were actually supposed to go! :lol:

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Trek-Earth lost more ships than the "Trek is just fiction"-universe Earth! I'd like to combine their budget with our space agency's competence. We'd be on Mars in no time. ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  16. Villordsutch

Villordsutch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

17. Enterprise1701

Don't forget that in Star Trek, humans are at least partially the result of biological engineering from spacefaring species (TNG: "The Chase") and Earth has been visited by spacefaring species (TOS: First Frontier, TOS: "Who Mourns for Adonais", VOY: "Tattoo", ENT: "North Star", TNG: "Time's Arrow", DS9: "Little Green Men", etc.) before humans thought spaceflight and warp flight to be possible.

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I just read the Khan mini-series and liked it quite a bit. Better writing and art than most of the Ongoing Trek comic. (Though, the middle two issues have a weird habit of a small amount of panels floating in the middle of the page with about a 1.5" margin of purplish-black.) There's a little bit of "massaging" of some of the continuity points and logical problems of STID, too, which was a bit unexpected. (Mainly just the rather confusing logic of why the other Augments were put in the torpedoes and how Khan knew and why Robocop would send all of them to Qo'nos.)

I also notice that there's a bit of a "He could also be lying about actually being Khan, too" from Kirk at the ending. Not quite that explicit, but tied in to his "He's just telling us his version of history."

19. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given that the Nerada and Spock's ship arrived at different points in the timeline, theres nothing to say that something else didn't get sucked into the black hole and arrive at an earlier point than what we saw...so it's possible that ripple effects had already started much earlier as well.

20. Enterprise1701

I think this has been raised before I'm just not sure where, but since Kirk and the U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1701) are obviously different, then it must mean that "Tomorrow is Yesterday" as the original episode stands cannot have happened in the Abramsverse, right? 1968/2268 in the Abramsverse must have happened a different way.