Seriously, do they have sandwiches in the future?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by xvicente, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sandwiches are portable, handheld meals. What could be better for someone at work, whether on a construction site or starship?

2. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I agree sandwiches are great.

But why keep them in a lunchbox when you have a replicator just there and can have a say, feijoada, instead if you wish?

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^I am sure they do, but since the question was about sandwiches, I went with that.

Heck, I like burritos and fajitas in the microwave. There isn't much difference since burritos and fajitas are Mexican sandwiches. :techman:

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it just reminded me: In all of the Jetsons episodes, did we ever actually see the surface of the ground? :lol:

5. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Actually Mexican sandwiches are called tortas. Kinda like pita bread

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

This is the most horrible idea I've ever seen. Well, actually the second most horrible idea, right after a pill that makes sex unnecessary.

8. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's not like you would HAVE TO take it.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Because everything out of a replicator tastes like wet sawdust.

:lol:

10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mystery Science Theater 3000 spoofed that idea with hilarity during its first season on the SciFi Channel (season 8 overall).

Mike and the 'Bots find themselves in orbit around a planet of "Observers", supposedly brains that have evolved beyond the need for bodies. Except, they have zombie-like host forms to carry their disembodied brains and to convert their telepathy into spoken words. Mike wonders, "Why dom't you just carry your brains in the heads of those bodies?"

Likewise, the Observers claimed they were superior for developing nutrient pills (for their host bodies) that have done away for the need of food. Mike responds, "So, just one of these pills a day supplies all your nutritional needs?" The Observers admit they need more. Mike assumes, "Okay, so 2 or 3 aday?" Again, the Observers look embarrassed. Mike, "So, 5 or 6?" Finally in frustration, the Observers say, No..." and then show Mike bowls filled with pills looking rather like cereal and use spoons to shovel the pellets into their "hosts'" mouths.

I don't know...I just found that hilarious!

Sincerely,

Bill

11. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

What's the point of being the captain, having a comfy chair and a giant tv screen in front of you when there's no possibility of a hot pastrami on sourdough with spicy brown mustard and a cherry coke?

12. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what the Captain's Mess or his ready room is for. Keep the bridge clean.

13. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Outside of root beer being mentioned in DS9, it seems that nobody drinks soft drinks in the 24th (or 23rd) century.

14. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I wonder what companies survived, and which brand of root beer. Since we see no Cokes, I doubt it's Barq's. I doubt it's Dad's, Shasta, ect, since those are gross. IBC is too small. I guess that leaves A&W. What a glorious future!

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How hard would it be to have someone order or drink a cola or orange soda or grape soda? Creme Soda, anyone?

16. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

All food and beverages went open source in the late 22nd century with the release of protein resequencers, and the trend never stopped. There's still a version of Coke and Pepsi in the replicator database, but it's a baseline recipe for people to build on, rather than an end in themselves.