My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A belated welcome to the wonderful world of VOYager, Qutluch. Enjoy the ride.

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahhh, the true secret of "the bun". What man doesn't suspect/hope/dream that under the bun, the cool exterior lies the 24th century equivalent of Ellen Barkin and her glasses from the 1987 hit..."The Big Easy"? :rofl:

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course I had to look that up JRulez because I had no idea what it was about :(

4. JanewayRulz!

5. teacake

Guess I'll have to find that one!

6. teacake

It was realism.

If you'd been actually probed you would be able to relate.

7. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

I’m back from vacation!

Ex Post Facto

Directed by Lavar Burton, awesome!

It begins with Paris being sentenced to re-living a crime, he supposedly committed, (the killing of Tolen Ren) every 14 hours. Then it cuts away to another teaser…the Doctor’s name! Kes and the Doctor have a whole conversation about his possible name: Doctor: Gailen, Saul, Spock…the suspense is killing me

Kim is set back to the Voyager and he explains the Paris situation to Janeway in his usual whinny voice and sad puppy-dog-eyes. In the first scene with Tolen and Lidell Ren we see that this planet has pet dogs and tulips; I don’t know why but I find that amusing. There is a quick introduction to Paris’ interactions with the Rens, which basically consisted of Tolen introducing Paris and Kim to his wife and Paris checking the wife out…not too exciting…

Then Neelix gets involved because of his prior dealings with the Baneans. He cracks a few jokes that only he laughs at, and next thing we know Janeway is on the planet talking with Paris. Paris has a flashback of the killing and loses consciousness. I do love the angry glare that Janeway gives the minister when she tells him: “Minister, we don’t plan on leaving until we prove his innocence”.

Tuvok leads the investigation. He goes back to the planet to speak to Mrs. Ren. Tuvok points out that she must have had the house cleaned and that he is surprised that she chose to stay in the same house. He calls her dispassionate and compares her to Vulcans. Lidell very calmly, without emotion, tells him that she is not dispassionate and that he could just ask Paris about that. Lidell explains her version of her and Paris’ interactions to Tuvok. We see a mildly proactive scene (for Star Trek) of Lidell and Paris running into the house soaking wet. Lidell in white clothes, soaked through, gets on her knees in front of Paris, and then stands up and kisses him. She told Tuvok that they drank tea and went into the atrium after that.

Tuvok is called back to the Voyager and Paris confirms that he remembered what Lidell claimed up to the point of the atrium; he does not remember that. Tuvok performs a mind-meld with Paris in order to find the truth. When he is done he makes the comment that he needs to know what Tolen’s research was in order to confirm that he was in fact innocent. Then Tuvok has all the members’ concerned meet at the scene of the crime. Tuvok proves that Paris is innocent and that Lidell set Paris up. Tuvok’s arguments: First, Paris is taller than the killer in the memories. Second, the killer knew Banean anatomy and Paris did not. Third, a Numiri agent downloaded messages into Paris’ implant procedure, which was done by the doctor. Tuvok then accuses the doctor who tried to say he was innocent, but Tuvok asks for the eye witness to enter (Lidell’s dog) who obviously knew him.

Favorite part: Paris to Tuvok, “Some would say that you risked my future on the eye witness identification of a dog”. Also, this episode raises some interesting questions about how criminals should be punished. Paris would have preferred being locked up on the rehab colony that he was on when Janeway got him. Is imprisonment more humane? How will they handle punishment on the ship? The brig? Marooning?

Least favorite part: Overall, this was an okay episode. It was easy to guess what was going to happen. There was foreshadowing about the dog’s importance when Tuvok spoke to Mrs. Ren, and we knew that ultimately Paris would be proven innocent. Plus, the acting could have been better in this episode.

8. Qutluch

Emanations

There are 246 elements and the Voyager may have found the 247th! It must be a pain in the butt to learn that periodic table!

Lots of dead bodies wrapped in cotton candy looking goo; very reminiscent of the movie Killer Clowns! Not a bad start to an episode. The new element is a byproduct of decomposition. Very exciting, a second episode with a cave full of organs/corpses. Is this just bad luck on the ships behalf or a weird obsession with death on behalf of the writers? Oh, and we get mummies when Garan wraps himself in his death shroud!

A dead body ends up being transported to the ship and Kim gets sent to the Vhnori home world. The, still un-named, doctor revives the “dead” women, Ptera. She freaks out because she is expecting to be in the after world. The dead on the Vhnori world are put in pods just before death so that they can be transported to the afterlife where they are part of a higher plain of consciousness. This sounds like ascension in SG-1.

When Janeway is talking to the Ptera she has this rapid side-to-side eye movement going on. It’s kind of creepy, but impressive at the same time.

Garan has second thoughts about dying and going on the next emanations. After talking to Kim he is not sure that he wants to die. His family is pushing him to go on because he was in an accident and his family has to take extra care of him: sounds like they could use a nursing home on Vhnori. (Where is a Ferengi entrepreneur when you need one)? The Vhnori think that they go on to the afterlife as themselves and are reunited with their families; what happens if you hated your spouse?

Wow! Harry Kim grew a pair! He started off whinny (as usual) and then suggests to Garan that he go in the pod instead of Garan. When Garan warned him that he would die in the pod Kim brushed it off and told him that he would be able to be revived by his ships medical officers. He wasn’t afraid for once, amazing!

Favorite part: That I was able to make a Killer Clowns reference! Also, everyone wants to know what happens when you die. This episode has a lot of religious implications, which I find interesting. How do people in the future (with advanced technology) understand religion and the afterlife? More specifically, is it run by Q?

Least favorite part: I didn’t get to see Neelix this episode…sad face.

9. teacake

That would surely be Hell.

I thought Emanations was a good straight sci-fi episode.

10. Qutluch

I did too! I did not expect to like it nearly as much as I did because Harry Kim was the main character, and I tend not to like him. I write my reviews as I watch the episode and originally, my least favorite part was Kim, but he surprised me! Overall, it was a great episode. We see a new culture, religion, and character development!

11. Qutluch

My husband and I had an in-depth discussion on the best Star Trek Captain and he wants me to share his opinon on here to see what everyone else thinks.

"Picard gets thrown 30,000 light years across the galaxy (repeatedly), and he's back in a day. Janeway gets tossed 70,000 light years across the galaxy just once, and she takes decades to get home. Just saying.

[LEFT]Also, Sisko was a better-written character, played by an actor that is incapable of competantly portraying the character's full range of emotions in an authentic way; comparatively, Janeway is a character that never reaches her own potential, because the writing undershoots the quality of a superior actress. To put it in the terms that Neelix would understand, should you cook bad eggs for the right amount of time or undercook good ones? The correct answer, by the way, is neither. You replicate yourself a Picard Omlete, with Earl Gray Tea.)"[/LEFT]

12. teacake

No, you undercook good ones and dress it up in spices, claiming it is an exotic delicacy to have them undercooked.

Trek exegesis depends on this kind of imagination.

13. Qutluch

Prime Factors

I have heard great thing about this episode and rightly so!!! It seems that VOY is starting to take off a little. Who are these Delany Sisters, and do we ever see them? Paris has mentioned them a couple of times now. It’s nice to see B’Elanna in an episode. I love it that Janeway is excited to see the Marquis and regular members of the crew getting along, and that Tuvok’s response is, “That kind of bonding should improve performance and maximize efficiency”! Thank you Tuvok for your wisdom!

It’s kind of fun to watch Janeway squirm a little when Gathorel flirts with her when he welcomes the VOY crew to vacation on Sikaris. Sikaris reminds me of Risa. Everyone has a chance to get laid, buy pretty clothes, and party! Also, Tuvok delivers the line, “Indeed” well, but not as well as Teal’c in SG-1!

The Sikarian people have technology with the ability to jump at least 40,000 light years ahead. I have to say, “Screw the Prime Directive!” Steal the technology and fast-forward your way back home. Harry Kim comes up with the idea of trading stories, an important part of the Sikarian society, for their technology. I am becoming more and more impressed with Harry Kim. I may just end up liking his character yet! (Though I’m still not sold on the idea that Garret Wang was ranked by People’s Magazine as one of the top 50 beautiful people in the world. His whininess just takes away any of his sex appeal for me).

It is nice to see new faces in the crew, or old faces having more or a role... Seska is a sharp, intelligent, yet slightly immoral character. Looking at her next to B’Elanna we see just how far B’Elanna has grown since she took the position as chief engineer. Although, I do think Seska has a great idea when she tells B’Elanna that they should just steal the technology. I would want to get home too. However, she should have “owned up” to her mistake at the end, or at least have been supportive of B’Elanna when she chooses to tell Captain Janeway that they disobeyed her.
    ]
    I am not sure if I like it that Janeway did not want to violate another planet’s laws or not. Is it more important in her role as Captain to get her people home in their lifetimes, or to do so morally? I am happy that the Voyager crew was able to give the technology a shot though. If they were not able to I think the crew would have been angry with Janeway and possibly mutinied. I think that Tuvok did an excellent job as the tactical and security officer in this regard. He did what Janeway wanted to do, but was unable to morally. Logically, it was the best idea. It would have been treacherous for the crew’s moral if the technology wasn’t at least tried. Tuvok's logic may have saved Janeway from attack.

Favorite part: After having spent 9 hours at a debate competition with middle school students today this quote stuck out for me as my favorite part of the episode: “You can use logic to justify anything; that’s its power and its flaw.”

Least favorite part: I would like to have seen more of an open discussion with the ranking officers about what they should have done about the technology and Prime Directive on Sikaris. Chakotay wasn’t even consulted, and I’m not sure how this doesn’t fall into the “Bridge Officer Meeting” in the first place…

14. JanewayRulz!

Yes, we do see the Delaney sisters... eventually.

15. Qutluch

I'm guessing that they are gorgeous, but part of me kind of hopes that they are hideous:) It would make me laught that Kim went out with them!

16. Qutluch

State of Flux

Neelix is awesome; I love it that they have a character that knows so much about the area, but is able to deliver his knowledge is such an oddball humorous way!

They are foraging on another planet. A Kazon ship is cloaked right outside of the Voyager and the away team needs to beam back. Chakotay goes after Seska who was inside of a cave picking mushrooms so she could show Neelix how to make Chakotay’s favorite soup; how cute! Chakotay is injured, but healing and the ship is able to leave without interference from the Kazon. Seska brings Chakotay mushroom soup and tells him how she had to steal the mushrooms back from Neelix in order to make Chakotay’s soup. Chakotay is upset that she committed a crime and tells her that everyone involved, including himself, will not have replicator use for two days. Seska tries to seduce Chakotay, reminding him of their previous love affair and tries to make him jealous by saying she was going to hit on Kim. Why Kim? Why not Paris at least, he is more of a pretty boy, and that might actually make Chakotay raise an eyebrow, but Kim?

The Voyager responds to a hail for help and when they find the Kazon ship the crew members were basically melted into the ship, except one who was left alive. It occurred because of a technological problem when the Kazon tried to add Federation technology to their ship. B’ellana recognizes a Federation material, which is distinctly different from Kazon technology. The most logical way the Kazon would have received Federation tech was from someone on the ship; thank you Tuvok. (I’m not sure if Janeway would have come to this conclusion herself; while she is badass, she is also very trusting). Seska is the obvious trader. She was alone on the ship, and later in order to help Engineering finish a task faster she beamed back onto the Kazon ship.

Janeway grills Kerry trying to figure out if he was responsible and limits him to his quarters. He’s been beaten out by B’ellana for Chief Engineer, and it was his work station that the last message was sent from. The Kazon flag the Voyager down and are allowed to board in order to see their injured crew member. However, Janeway will not release the Kazon until she figures out how they got Federation technology. Upon hearing this, the Kazon killed the injured man. The doctor noticed that Seska did not have her blood registered on the ship and when they checked her blood after she was injured they found that she did not have Bajoran blood, rather Cardassian. Oh, and we get another great hands-on-the-hips moment from our loving, yet firm Captain when she confronts the Kazon!

Laying the bait; I’m so happy we are still this underhanded in the future. Who stole the Federation technology? Both Seska and Kerry were given the same information in order to see which one acted….and Seska took the bait! She is Cardassian and gave the Kazon the replicator. She beamed off the ship and left to be with the Kazon.

At the end, Chakotay asks Tuvok for an “honest” answer. Tuvok says that he can’t lie as a Vulcan (despite the fact that he lied “for his own convictions” when he was a spy, as well as in this episode to Lt Kerry…). He asks if he’s gullible, to which Tuvok says that he relies on his emotions, and they let him down, which is more a failing of humans in general than him as an individual. He goes on to say that he also was fooled by Seska, and Chakotay feels better because “misery loves company”…

Favorite Part: I originally thought that the writers were using Seska as a red-herring, but had done so too dramatically and gave it away. However, the writers used this technique in order to intentionally mislead the viewers into dismissing Seska as a red-herring, when she was actually being set up for a major antagonist role for the series! Well-written!

Least favorite part: Chakotay won’t get mushroom soup anymore….

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, I was supposed to watching The Invaders with Roy Thinnes (I enjoyed it very much when it was on PBS in reruns in the 1980s), but, after 5 episodes, I realized I just wasn't in the right mood for it, so, even though I am supposed to be saving Voyager for my mom to borrow, next weekend, I decided she'd have to wait, until next month, and she'll have to settle for Enterprise for now.

So, I'm a couple epsiodes ahead of Qutluch and I'm enjoying it just fine so far. I remember hating the Kazon, in first run, but, up to this point, they aren't really annoying me yet.

I'm surprised to see the Doctor struggling with naming himself, this early on, I seem to recall it being a running theme, later in the series, and it seems it will wear itself thin, if they follow that story to heavily, so, I'll have to wait and see on that one. State of Flux was a really good one, and yea, you gotta feel sorry Chakotay, first learning about Tuvok infiltrating/spying and then finding out about Seska, that really would make you question how competent you really are.

You definitely don't want to get between Janeway and her Coffee, look what she did that poor Nebula Lifeform round about episode 6. Rammed into it's guts, tried to harvest it's White-Blood cells for energy resources, and then gave it an ulcer busting back out. Truth be told, Janeway is rather aggressive, and I know how Coffee (or caffeine in general) addicts and smokers can get really stressed when deprived of their addiction. I would think the last thing you would want, under the stressful circumstances Voyager is in, would be an already aggresive Captain to be without her coffee. So, I think that was kinda silly, that Tom had Holodeck rations available, while she's cringing for coffee. If there isn't enough energy to go around to keep the Captain in Coffee, there sure shouldn't be energy available to waste on Holodeck privelleges (Surely a Holodeck program would take up, drastically more energy than replicating a cup of coffee). Sure, I understand the crew needs their holodeck privelleges to blow off steam, but, like Shoreleave, I think it should be very few and far between when energy is so tight.

Oh, and I got a kick out of seeing Janeway's Spirit Guide was a lizard, I never caught that in first run.

Regarding Janeway shipping, I think she should remain single and just be Planet Babe of the Week Slut like Kirk was, the Captain shouldn't be in a heavy long-term relationship with any of her crew. I mean, sure, if she wants to visit Chakotay's Teepee on occasion to releive some tension (and/or any of the other 'ships people put forward, OK, that's cool, but, as Captain, she doesn't have the luxury of concentrating on making a long term relationship work under her current circumstances)

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. Qutluch

During the rationing/coffee episode I had the same thought. The holosuite has to suck up energy; especially with the really in-depth detailed programs that the crew tends to run. Its not like they create a bar to play darts, they re-create books, go rock climbing, have interactive (is this the right term?) holopeople.... How does the replicator take more energy? Can't they solve their energy problem? With the different worlds/cultures they are interacting with you would think that they could at least fix some of their technical difficulties.

19. Qutluch

Thanks for emphasizing this. It made me look up the role of the lizard guide, and this may be my absolute favorite part about VOY!

Choosing the lizard for Janeway was a brillant idea by the writers. Her roll as a Captain and the roll of the VOY is explained quite well by the lizard guide. Check this article out: http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6011/lizard-power-animal-symbol-of-dreaming-and-conservation

It talks about moving on from the past, paying close attention to your intuition, letting go of old ideas, moving ahead with confidence, etc. It is a perfect metaphor for the Voyager being thrown 70,000 light years away from their mission. The kind of cool thing is that it fits both Janeway and the plot of VOY.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The Holodeck power is incompatable with the rest of the ship, have these guys never heard of a convertor?