Help me watch the Dominion War

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by c0rnedfr0g, May 21, 2013.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Hello,

I've seen more than a few DS9 episodes, but that was years ago, and I'm much less familiar with it compared to TOS and TNG. Anyway, a friend and I are wanting to watch DS9; specifically, the Dominion War. We're planning to watch all of Seasons 5-7... what else? Should we watch Season 4 first? What about key episodes before that? From memory, I recall 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar" and 3x21 "The Die is Cast" should be watched prior to Season 4-5. Other recommendations? Hoping for maybe 10 suggestions for Seasons 2-3 (don't really need main cast introduction episodes from Season 1).

Thanks in advance!

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

From my DS9 abridged list.
    Season 2

The Jem'Hadar

Season 3

The Search part 1-2
    The Abandoned
    Improbable Cause
    The Die is Cast
    The Adversary

Season 4

The Way of the Warrior 1-2
    Hippocratic Oath
    Indiscretion
    Homefront
    Paradise Lost
    For the Cause
    The Quickening
    Broken Link

Season 5

Apocalypse Rising
    The Ship
    The Rapture
    The Begotten
    For the Uniform
    In Purgatory's Shadow
    By Inferno's Light
    Doctor Bashir, I Presume
    Soldiers of the Empire
    Blaze of Glory
    Empok Nor
    Call to Arms

Season 6

A Time to Stand
    Rocks and Shoals
    Sons and Daughters
    Behind the Lines
    Favor the Bold
    Sacrifice of Angels
    The Magnificent Ferengi
    Statistical Probabilities
    Waltz
    Far Beyond the Stars
    Inquisition
    In the Pale Moonlight
    His Way
    The Reckoning
    Valiant
    Tears of the Prophets

Season 7
    Image in the Sand
    Shadows and Symbols
    Afterimage
    Treachery, Faith and the Great River
    The Siege of AR-558
    Covenant
    It's Only a Paper Moon
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
    Penumbra
    'Til Death Do Us Part
    Strange Bedfellows
    The Changing Face of Evil
    When It Rains...
    Tacking Into the Wind
    Extreme Measures
    The Dogs of War
    What You Leave Behind 1-2

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That seems like a pretty solid list to me. [​IMG]

4. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd add season 3's Heart of Stone and season 4's To the Death to that list. I don't think Empok Nor, The Magnificent Ferengi, Valiant or Afterimage are really necessary.

5. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd recommend starting at the beginning with Emissary, to refresh your minds of the set-up, the characters and the Prophets (and Sisko's relationship to them) before skipping to The Jem'Hadar. After all, these elements do play important roles later on (the resolution to Sacrifice of Angels and the culmination of the series in What You Leave Behind spring to mind).

6. c0rnedfr0g

^^ Muchas gracias, everyone!

Are there other prophet-specific or otherwise mythological episodes that we should watch to better understand the series' conclusion (episodes not already mentioned)? I do know that DS9 dealt heavily in that matter.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I think the episode "The Rapture" for season 5 you need to watch. I put the list together and forgot to add it in my first post. I have edited to reflect it's addition.

8. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would watch "Battle Lines," "In the Hands of the Prohphets," and "The Collaborator" to know about Kai Winn. You might want to watch "Accession" if you are looking for an important Wormhole alien episode. If you pay attention to all that is said by the Prophets, there is a set-up that pays off in season 7.

9. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's also season 5's The Assignment which deals with the the Wormhole aliens and the Pah-wraiths.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They said in the first post that they'd be watching all of seasons 5-7.

11. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you have time, I suggest Season Four "Return To Grace." It's not absolutely necessary, but it does provide some clues to Dukat's and Cardassia's motivation for what they do later on.

12. c0rnedfr0g

Many thanks to all of you that helped me muddle through Seasons 1-3 of DS9 ;). The episodes we (my friend and I) saw were all enjoyable and pertinent to our viewing experience. For those that are interested, we watched the following episodes, most of which per y'all's suggestions:

Season 1
    Emissary
    Past Prologue
    Duet (fantastic episode)
    In the Hands of the Prophets

Season 2
    Cardassians
    Blood Oath (I'm a TOS fan and had to see it)
    The Maquis
    The Jem'Hadar

Season 3
    The Search
    The Abandoned
    Meridian (upon watching, not necessary. The brief episode description I read had me hoping it would be a hidden Dominion planet of some sorts)
    Defiant
    Life Support
    Heart of Stone
    Visionary
    Improbable Cause
    The Die is Cast
    Facets
    The Adversary

All in all, we definitely ended up watching more episodes from seasons 1-3 than I had originally planned, but there are so many complex and overlapping story lines / character arcs that I determined it was necessary to watch so many episodes to truly enjoy and understand the show. For anyone who is curious, we have been watching a few episodes every Monday night (assuming our schedules align and permit), and have just started Season 4. From here on out, we plan to watch all the episodes. Who knows how long it will take to finish the series...!

Thanks again, all! :bolian:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good call on just watching then all, especially by season 4. For the most part the plot does become serialized. It's not a race, so if you can only watch a couple episodes a week, no problem. It's not a race, DS9 will always be there. Have fun with it. :)

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please do yourselves a favor and go back to watch "The Wire" from season 2 and "Second Skin" from season 3. They're both excellent character episodes which I promise will be worth your time. Character arcs will help you better appreciate the plot arcs. :techman:

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd also suggest Progress. It makes no difference whatsoever to the plot arc, but it's a great little character piece.

To be honest, I'd watch the whole series from start to finish. Imho it's the best Trek show and a bit lighter on crap episodes than the others. The first two seasons aren't great though...

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'm glad you included Defiant even though it wasn't suggested. To me, it adds another layer to Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast.