Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    When I declared to my mother I turned vegetarian at 16, I didn't expect her to cook for me any more, meaning cooking two dinners/suppers/whatever. I started cooking for myself.

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Cardie women are sexy. Vegetarian Cardie women are really sexy. You just sent me to a happy place.

Thank you. :)

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Happy places are good places to be :)

4. CorporalClegg

5. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

In honor of the Oscar show last night, I'll quote an Abraham Lincoln episode from TOS "The Savage Curtain":
    "But why should I object to that term, sir? You see, in our century we've learned not to fear words." -Uhura to "Lincoln"

"May we together become greater than the sum of both of us." -"Surak", to Kirk :vulcan: and Sector 7 to Relayer1. :beer:

Well, mushrooms maybe... but I draw the line at toe jam...:devil:

Seriously, I keep seeing portabello mushrooms substituted for hamburger meat in the "hamburger'. Has anyone had both experiences to compare the two? To be honest, I haven't had the courage to try it yet, although I love mushrooms. I love to marinate "baby bellas". Of course, share your favorite recipes!:techman:

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't taste like hamburgers, they are just the same roundness and offer some substance in between the bun. Plus you can marinade them nicely. Unless you are talking about some fake-o hamburgers where they grind up mushrooms with some kind of breadcrumbs in which case I don't know. If they did that I am sure it would be awesome, much more awesome than hamburgers themselves (which I think are incredibly boring at best and often yucky).

To the person who asked if vegemite is salty, YES. It is less salty than it was decades ago, they have been slowly reducing the salt content in it over the years. This is a little know fact.. they think we don't notice but I remember!!

7. Sector 7

^That's what I always thought... it ain't a hamburger. No matter how good you make it sound, it just ain't a hamburger. I love them marinated, so to me, it would just be a bigger version of something I already love. The "baby bellas" are much less expensive, so I always buy them.

I should have taken a photo, but this weekend I made fajitas. Wait, don't hate! Instead of beef or my usual chicken... I used my fajita sauce-marinated baby bellas.

1 pint baby bellas, quartered & marinated in fajita sauce
    1 pint sliced bell peppers, red & orange & yellow (I'm allergic to green peppers)
    1/2 red onion
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    6-10 flour tortilla shells

Place peppers in hot skillet, cook until it sweats (begins to get soft)
    Add red onion & minced garlic
    Cook until liquid is almost gone
    Add marinated mushrooms
    Continue to cook until mixture is HOT (add more fajita sauce until desired consistency is reached
    Spoon onto warmed flour tortilla & roll it up
    Eat until tummy aches... hey, that's what I do!

8. teacake

That sounds great Sector 7! That's the thing with those sauces, you can use anything with them. Beans, mushrooms..

I just made and ate this:

[​IMG]

Wholemeal pita bread with home made hummous, cucumbers and radishes. I just LOVE radishes.

9. Sector 7

^Awesome! That would also be good on a tortilla. Sadly, I cannot find whole wheat flour tortilla shells, or I'd buy them.

As someone stated above, I cannot get excited about lentils or lima beans, etc. Not sure what "pulses" are... so I may or may not have had any. It's very late & I don't feel like looking it up.

Thanks to this thread, I am even more conscious of what I eat. I am broadening my dietary horizons now.

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, it was a bit aggressive, so thank you for the apology. :)

11. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Yum! I love making hummus, because it kills anything store bought. I throw a handful of garlic cloves into the bottom of the blender, juice of half a lemon, some chickpeas and tahini, and a dash of salt. It's the best.

12. teacake

Lately I've been putting in olive oil instead of tahini because I worry about possible unseen rancidness of tahini. I like it with lots of lemon.

13. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

You guys are making my mouth water. I love hummus but I've never tried making it myself, I've only ever gotten store-bought.

14. teacake

It is super easy Kestra and there is no way to fail with it. Much better than store bought. And keeps for ages in the fridge, if you don't eat it too quickly :lol:

15. Kestra

Okay, you've inspired me! The next time I do a grocery run, I'll pick up what I need and try to make some hummus on my own!

16. thestrangequark

^Do it! Though i really have to differ in opinion with teacake here, because tahini is essential! And I lean towards garlicky rather than lemony, personally, but lemony works.

17. Kestra

I'll try it with tahini first. Are they likely to have it at Safeway or should I go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods?

18. thestrangequark

^Hmm...they don't have Safeway in NYC, but I've never had trouble finding it in the "ethnic" section of any major grocery store. It comes in a big stout orange and white tin. :) Also, if you put a tablespoon of tahini in a jar with a splash of olive oil and vinegar, a little water and lemon juice, and a bit of freshly ground pepper and then shake it up it makes a great salad dressing!

19. Kestra

Yum! Safeway is the same as Dominick's (which is what we had in IL), but you might not have either of those. There are probably others in the same chain. This area is pretty diverse so it will probably be there then.

Or maybe I'll go to Whole Foods anyway because it's just down the street and I've never been!

20. CorporalClegg

Whole Foods is probably your best bet--not to mention the most expensive one.