German Covers for Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by CaptainDonovin, Jan 24, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool.

2. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

Yupp, our covers rock indeed. Too bad I only read the English books since they come out months before the German versions.

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Slightly off-topic, but CrossCult has also released the covers for VOY Homecoming and The Farther Shore.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Whoa, those are really good covers.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Why can't S & S do a deal with the German publishers to share costs of their covers rather than pay for their own Photoshop cut and paste jobs.

Both businesses would save cash and get the best artwork...

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, that would be great.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm a genius...:)

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I like the shot of Voyager over San Francisco. Reminds me of the way the Enterprise was depicted on the inside covers of "Final Frontier" and "Strangers From The Sky" (you know the cutaway covers?)!

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

S&S feels that their current cover approach is what's most likely to sell books. (If they didn't, they'd do something else instead!)

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that. I'd assume that outside of the boost the movie release will give, demand for Trek novels is relatively inelastic. Therefore a cheapish cover image will not harm sales much, in the same way as a superb (and more expensive) painted cover probably would only boost sales slightly.

Pooling resources for a shared cover would therefore make good financial sense...

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can only hope....

13. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Those covers all kick butt.

14. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt it's as simple as two companies failing to pool resources. Cross Cult do use Pocket Books covers for many of their books. The reasons they might make their own at other times could be many, and certainly not limited to them simply not liking some of the less impressive Pocket covers - They are catering to a different market with different tastes. They are often publishing their versions of books years after the originals, so might want to model a new cover on what they think will work in the current market, not designs of years ago. Plus I imagine there's at least a little bit of it being about getting publicity; they get to make a bit of a fuss when they reveal a new cover design, so more people will hear about their books as a result.

So any money saved by not making two cover designs is I'm sure carefully balanced against the benefits of paying out to make something new. Plus it's not like Pocket can't make good covers on their own; I'd say Pocket and Cross Cult have similar hit and miss rates.

15. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. tomswift2002

If I am translating the German correctly, it is going to be an e-book only release, which, from that first reaction, seems to be a shock to German fans. One fan has even asked if Cross Cult could just skip the ebook and do something similar to what they did with an earlier DS9 book (Demons of Air And Darkness-Horn and Ivory printed as one book in the past? The post, by Fabian Timme, says "DS9 band 804", which I'm not too sure what that means!)

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Band" is German for "volume."

18. tomswift2002

Well, then the person seems to be referring to Demons Of Air And Darkness/Horn And Ivory, since that appears to be #4 in the Cross Cult series.