Picard in a TNG reboot

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Flake, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The writing team of Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek into Darkness are told to reboot The Next Generation. Now I can see their dilemma right away, what do they do with the Picard character?

Now right off the bat the people in this forum would want the Picard from the TV series faithfully recreated in the new reboot (me too!). An explorer & diplomat who hates children and is not too interested in alien or human women or having a relationship. Won't go on many away missions, sips earl grey tea, enjoys reading a good book in his spare time and does not socialize or fraternize with the crew. Main hobby and interest is archaeology. Not the sort to go in all guns blazing but would rather call a conference and carefully consider the situation with the hope of resolving the issue by diplomatic means.

Not the sort of leading character hollywood craves is it?

So, back to the dilemma. Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof need to reboot Picard. I get the feeling they will throw all these character traits out of the window and turn him into Kirk mk2 and ruin the reboot just to conform to what Hollywood expects of the leading man. Is this what we are destined for? The Picard in the TNG movies (GENS excepted) was absolutely not the Picard from the television show. He became a stereotypical hollywood action man although mostly in the final act. Maybe the Picard of the TNG movies will be merged with reboot Kirk for the nuPicard?

The writing team of Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek into Darkness are pretty good at doing a TOS reboot because of the nature of Kirks character and the perception of him by the media and the masses.... Picard? I don't think they are capable of creating a movie that uses the Picard we know from TNG. I think we would get something totally different.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

What about a prequel Picard? Tell the story of Picard when he gains command of the Stargazer at the young age of 28.

It could be that in his 22 years commanding the Stargazer, he hardened up and became more stoic. Very likely that he was extremely green as a Lt Cmdr, not unlike the other Lt. Cmdrs we've seen in Trek. Plus, before TNG, there's that additional 9 year gap that has never been discussed on screen (yeah, I know, books and stuff). It's very unlikely that someone's personality stays the same after 30 years of experiences.

Maybe young Picard doesn't hate kids as much as old Picard.

3. Flake

Trouble with young Picard is all other crew members would not exist yet or be children. Picard in TNG season 1 is 60 years old! (Patrick Stewart was 47) Whereas in TOS all the crew members except Chekov where about the same age.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Ok, so do you want a TNG reboot or do you want a Picard reboot?

Tapestry is one of the best episodes of TNG, and it featured mainly Picard. Other brand new characters in a supporting role might be beneficial to the Picard mythos.

5. Flake

A TNG reboot!

A stargazer movie would not work out I don't think.

I am talking a TNG reboot with the same budget the TOS reboot is getting, the concern is that they will totally mess up the Picard character we got in the tv show :)

Possibly turn him into a womanizing, shoot first ask questions later, rebel type character. Okona on steroids or something :guffaw:

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any follow on from the current new continuity will/should do its own Next Generation (possibly one that is actually a Next Generation, not 100 years on). They might cherrypick characters from the original TNG/DS9/Voyager, but to do a direct copy of any sort... I doubt it.
    I could more see a post-Pine/Quinto series/film series about Captain Uhura (or Chekov or Sulu or...), with a junior officer called Picard, and an artificial lifeform called Data, and a 'First Klingon Since The Alliance' character called Worf. That sort of thing.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I say, go for the seasoned captain, whose last ship was destroyed, killing his best friend, and he feels he needs to atone for that. He's a little angsty, cautious, and aloof, compared to a dynamic first officer, who has risen through the ranks quickly and wants to prove himself ready for command (more to himself than others).

I would use Riker to help flesh-out Picard and make him more interesting. Picard would see in Riker himself at that age and clash with him over issues related to playing it safe. Riker, while respectful, worries that his Captain may be overcompensating.

The reckless rookie paired with a seasoned and somewhat cautious veteran has been done before and could work here. This way, it wouldn't require you to change much about Picard and it would give you a character arc, where he goes from angsty, cautious, and aloof to facing his past, overcoming his angst over Jack's death, while being willing to take some chances and open up to his new crew.

In other words, focus more on what Picard became than how he started out. Then in the first movie, have him make that journey in a quicker span of time, leading to a re-energized, more confident Picard for the sequel.

8. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Why change him? I think Picard's traits make him a great character in itself.

People say Picard was different in the movies, well I disagree. What about Captain's Holiday, QPid, Time Squared, Genesis, etc. that all show Picard in an action role? Sir Patrick Stewart himself insisted to the producers that Picard be given a more expansive role. Also an action finale works better in a film, since practically all films are based on the good guy killing the baddie format.

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like a great idea to me.:)

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would be completly uninterested in a movie reboot of a franchise that went one for four.

And if it were a tv series...then just do a new series.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's more likely that they will recast the TOS crew a second time than rebooting TNG since TOS is more iconic. This means TNG will thankfully be spared being recast with young/hip/sexy actors. :p

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

By the time of Nemesis, Picard and Riker had essentially flipped roles with the former leading away teams and the latter staying behind on the bridge. A TNG reboot could merely start from that position.

Picard could be a seasoned, no-nonsense war veteran that was contemplating retirement when Starfleet offers him command of its newest dreadnought, the Enterprise. Picard soon finds himself having to break in a battle-inexperienced crew, including a cocky young first officer and an android second officer.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Characters like Picard make shows stand out more. If it weren't for Grissom CSI would never have gotten so popular.

For a movie they'd probably have to go with a younger Picard who, like NuKirk, just beams in and shoots everyone instead of outsmarting them. Or they'd have to play him off a younger Riker who is a reckless upstart womanizer. If they did that they could make a more intellectual Pucard work so long as he gets pulled out of his comfort zone.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

PICARD: A week away from retirement and the Borg choose now to attack! I'm getting too old for this shit!

15. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I don't see any reason to suspect they'd do anything to ruin Picard's character. Reboot Spock is very much in-line with classic Spock, he isn't like, Vin Diesel with elf ears or anything.