Doctor Who: The Figure Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet another episode specific set, this time of "Image of the Fendhal":

[​IMG]

doctorwhotoys.net

The Leela figure seems pretty much the same as the one from the Leela/Stor set, just with a different hair style. So yeah, unless you've really been wanting to add a Fendahl to your collection, this set is an obvious pass.

2. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I can say about that one is there's some nice cleavage on...is that supposed to be Leela? I don't recall her hair being so short.

3. Chris3123

Yes, it's Leela. She had her hair in a bun in that episode.

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

All I can say about that release is... Meh.

Three Leela variants... such joy and this one with a rotocast dog toy. Only one worth getting, in my view, is the two-pack with her and the classic Sontaran.

5. Chris3123

6. Winterwind

Well, they're certainly getting their money's worth out of those molds. That's three variants for Leela and Peri. All easy passes. And the Dalek two-pack? While the new Davros figure is indeed new... a destroyed Dalek? C'mon. As Chris3123 mentions, no Ace. That would have made that set at least tempting.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember it looking so much like Davros was in a Dalek barbecue grill.

8. Worf2DS9

^ Maybe you open up the front and Davros's voice says: "Your steaks are ready, Doctor!" :lol:

9. Chris3123

Seeds of Doom set, with the Fourth Doctor and a Krynoid. (How many packs include the Fourth Doctor now? I've lost count. :lol:)

Sound FX Daleks - Ok, this is pretty cool. Basically your regular 5-inch scale Dalek figures, just with sound. A variety of Dalek models to choose from, too.

Talking plush toys - TARDIS, Daleks, Doctor, Cybermen, Silent, etc.

And then there's three new role playing items that are not actually based on anything in the show :wtf: ... well, at least not from anything that's aired already. Peeks into Series 7, or just creative license on Character's part? Hmm...

Personal TARDIS - Basically a TARDIS you wear on your arm. Sounds like a Vortex Manipulator ripoff to me. ;)

Dalek/Cyberman Anti Time Device - According to the box, this weapon salvaged from Dalek and Cybermen technology can "wipe your enemies from time".

Trans-Temporal Sonic Screwdriver - What I can see of the package doesn't give any info on what's so special about this screwdriver. From the name I suppose its effects can traverse time. Or something.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It says on the packaging that (in addition to the Personal TARDIS device), it's compatible with the Personal Sonic Screwdriver set. Makes me think that its parts can be combined with that earlier set to create even more new sonics.

11. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Ok, a talking plush Judoon. How cool is that? And the plush talking Sexy? That's gonna be awesome too!

I'll own that one too. I love my PSS, it's awesome.

I have the 9/10, 11, and PSS ... Eventually, I'll get the others. Oh, and for those who are having a hard time finding the 9/10 with blue light, thinkgeek.com has it for 20 bucks.

12. All-Seeing I

All-Seeing I Commander Red Shirt

Damn, that Krynoid/Axon/Krynoid thing again, and it still looks like a turd. Oh, and another 4th Dr variant, smashing.

If CO want to revamp old figures, why not give us a "Frontier in Space" boxed set, with a 3rd Dr in Moonbase prison outfit, the Master in his Sirius Commissioner disguise, and throw us a bone by including a Draconian and an Ogron - either of them should have been included in the "Enemies of the 3rd Dr" boxed set, that Drashig hand puppet thing was a joke.

13. Winterwind

If they'd included a Ogron instead of that daft Drashig dog's chew toy I'd have probably got that Third Doctor set. Instead I'll simply hope Omega is released separately at some point. If not... *shrugs*

Most collectors I know have either really cut back or stopped buying altogether.

14. OmahaStar

I certainly have. I wanted to have each of the Doctors. Well, I have them. I wanted to have a few of my favorite companions, but with the exception of Leela, they are only being released in multi-packs with others I don't want. Peri and Sil? Seriously?

I think I can actually pinpoint the moment when my collector buzz switched off. It was when someone here posted pictures of the Peri/Sil set, with Sil removed from his base, and it was a giant brown spot, a turd left behind. I sort of woke up then and decided I'd had enough. The only figure I've bought since then is an Eighth Doctor I picked up on eBay.

I was interested in picking up a Leela figure since it was being sold on its own, until I saw pix of that one ... the quality control is terrible. The arm was falling off, the joints weren't done well, the paint job looked like something a psychotic drugged-up drag queen did halfway through a bender.

At least we've still got the sonic screwdrivers.

15. Worf2DS9

Oooo, lucky. Eight is the only one left that I have any interest in getting, but that said, I don't even have my DW figures on display anymore, so it's not a pressing issue.

16. OmahaStar

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_nkw=eighth+doctor&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The first couple hits there end in the next 24 hours, and have that figure for 10 bucks with free shipping.

17. Winterwind

Hehehe. That would have been me. I don't remember anyone else in here being daft enough, or at least admitting being daft enough, to get the Peri/Sil set.

Glad I managed to kill your collecting enthusiasm. ;)

I've now learned to wait and wait and wait before ordering anything because it's almost inevitable that there'll be a tweaked re-release of figures so they can get their money's worth out of the moulds. I'm sitting right on the edge... almost ordering the two-pack with Leela and a Sontaran but the reality is... they're toys. And since I lost interest in doing webcomics I really should have only ever bought one of each Doctor and maybe some classic Daleks and Cybermen.

If I ever take the time to learn how Ebay works... fire sale!

18. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are collectables. Toys are for playing with. At that price you don't play with them!

I didn't buy many last year, the figures are fine, its just the larger accessories are a pain to find somewhere to store.

So the Leela and Sontaran was an easy buy for me - I didn't have the other two Sontarans with their Spaceships.

Its the same with the Drashig, but I might give into that eventually.

As long as a set is mostly new I dont mind the odd duplicate. I got the Keeper set. I will get the Androzani Peri set, to go with the Varos one.

I got the Resurrection and (eventually, when they'd almost sold out) the Genesis set. But the Revelation and Destiny sets can wait.

The Remembrance Davros is an easy buy, as soon as I can find one!

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I love this sonic. I hate to use the word "Steampunk" ~ducks rocks~ but that thing would work perfect with a steampunk con-costume I have in mind.

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I feel like I should get something plush for the car, odd there is no adipose.