House: 7x08 "Small Sacrifices" - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Nov 22, 2010.

?

Grade the episode.

1. Excellent

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Good

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Bad

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

From TV.com:

House Medical Reviews

I cannot find any information for the next episode so this may be the last episode for 2010 before the winter/holiday hiatus.

2. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

Just saw a young Cuddy eating lunch with a hairy Taub in some film from 1999. Was strange to see Lisa Edelstein that young, and I think she is more beautiful now than she was then, if that is even important.

3. Trekker4747

No, I agree. Lisa Edelstein is in an episode of Seinfeld (third or fourth season if I recall correctly) in the episode she's sleeping with/dating George and derives more pleasure from her risotto at dinner that George's bedroom activities. She's "attractive" in it, sure, but time was certainly very, very good to her since I'd agree that she's better looking now than stuff I've seen her in in the past. Of course many early-90s fashions make it difficult to make anyone look good. Julia Louis Deryfus (Elaine, Seinfeld) is a very attractive woman, and was one on Seinfeld, but her looks suffer from some of the fashions she displayed in Seinfeld's earlier seasons.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, if this guy is getting crucified every year, he really should be a hell of a lot worse off if they did it that way, nailing him through the palms. That's an error perpetuated by Renaissance artists. You can't crucify someone with nails through the palms, because gravity would pull down on the hands and (forgive me, unpleasant image ahead) the nails would tear right through the soft tissue. (Although maybe the ropes around the wrists in this case help bear the weight and prevent that.) In reality, as House said, the nails were driven through the wrists, below the wristbones.

Taub was really stupid here. What's wrong with his wife having a friend? It's silly to call it betrayal just because the friend happens to have a Y chromosome.

I don't know what was going on with Wilson and Sam, though. What was the real explanation for the discrepancy in those tests? If she was sincere about not intentionally raising the dosage, then either she's incompetent or there was a hardware malfunction. Maybe Wilson should've had the equipment checked before he jumped to conclusions.

I missed the explanation for why the guy was smiling when he was in pain or unhappy. Something neurological related to the MS?

I kinda wish House had been telling the truth about the daughter's cancer still being present, and that the patient had realized that being there to take care of his daughter and support and comfort her was more important, and more true to his beliefs, then martyring himself to make an ideological point.

Masters's final scene, that "I can't work like this," suggests that she won't stick around much longer. But it's too early for Thirteen to be back and I don't see them going back to revolving-door lady docs again. So I don't know what to expect.

5. Trekker4747

And if he WAS getting nailed through the palms once a year I'd think his hands would be next to useless. Hard for, I would think, all those muscles, tendons, and nerves to recover when they're being destroyed every year.

Yeah, him smiling during an exam was being caused by a neurological issue that caused him to express physically than the emotion he was experiencing internally.

Him sitting there smiling, creepily, as he talked to M^3 was, well, creepy.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"As Good as it get's" starring Jack Nicholson

Lisa Edelstein and Peter Jacobson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVPQv5fSk_E

7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

it was the fact that she was hiding this relationship from Taub (taking her phone into the bathroom while she showered) and that she was sharing intimate feelings with another man--things she didn't share with Taub. This new relationship is more important to her than Taub because she refused to give it up to please Taub. Nice to see Taub find out what it's like to have to share your spouse with someone else. Serves him right.

8. Christopher

And she wouldn't have felt the need to hide it if she hadn't known he'd be stupidly jealous and insecure about it. And she wouldn't have needed another person to talk to about these things if Taub made himself more emotionally accessible to her.

That doesn't follow. It's not more important to her than Taub, it's more important to her than bowing to his selfish and unfair demands. She shouldn't have to give up something she's entitled to -- a friendship -- just to coddle her husband's insecurities. He's only afraid of her cheating because he's a cheater. There's nothing wrong with what she's doing, simply making a friend, so he has no right to demand she stop. Trying to control your partner's social life, prevent them from having friends you don't approve of, is classic abusive behavior. It's wrong and it's the first step on a slippery slope.

9. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It happens yearly in certain Filipino Provinces although the Bishops try to stop it. Just as the pre-credit scene played out the ropes support the weight not the hands and nails.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe Amber Tamblyn has two more episodes. That would take us up to the six-week-ish Christmas hiatus. Olivia Wilde could be back in February, which would only be three episodes away.

11. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

3M is more interesting than the other doclings, so I won't be happy to see her go (especially if Thirteen is the replacement).

I loved that last piece of dialog between 3M and House.

"I can't work like this."

"I can."

Edit: I never really thought about it, but I've always brought my cellphone into the bathroom with me. There might be an important call (interview, emergency with a family member, etc.).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  12. Trekker4747

Again with the Thirteen hate.
    :rolleyes:

13. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. All is therefore right with the world. :)

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Lisa Edelstein was a whore in the first season of West Wing.

The episode was horrible, simply the worst of the season by far! How many episodes do we need to have a year of "House vs God!!!", it's season 7, it's getting really damn old. Same thing with people acting shock when House lies to his boss! Wow!!! Its the end of the world!

And I thought Candice Bergen was supposed to do an episode in Novemeber, she is really needed.

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I thought Cuddy would say something to House When he said 'I will never lie to you again' when he apologise.
    Because we all know everybody lies.
    And count me has another person who is not missing 13.

16. Trekker4747

The "House v. God" episode is pretty much a staple of this series so we almost always get one or two episodes of this every season. Similarly we almost always get a "someone else is House's boss/management shake-up" every season and House getting a villainous counterpart every season. (Though this last one is a trope they haven't used for a couple seasons.)

House claims to be atheist but he's an atheist who flirts with agnosticism and Belief. Hell, I'd go as far to say he is a Believer who is searching for a good reason to become an atheist but keeps finding road blocks on that path. I don't normally mind the House v. God episodes as they're usually pretty interesting but I think this one was handicapped by the Wilson/Kate storyline and the Storyline That Will Not Die in the thing where Cuddy put herself in a relationship with a man who unabashedly has lied to her on a regular basis, flaunts that he lies and whom she told that she does not want him to change but then she gets mad when does something that he does to her all of the time to save a patient's life.

So basically she's mad because House has an infinite deck of "The Main Character is Always Right in the End" cards he plays every week and every time he plays one she's supposed to get a temporary -2 to Ego. I guess this time House played a "Ultimate The Main Character is Always Right in the End" that gives Cuddy a -10 to Ego and has a duration of something like a month.

House lied to you Cuddy.

House lies to you all of the time.

House fakes lab tests often.

House with-holds information from you about a patient's care all of the time.

Yes, in the real world everything House does means he should get a giant, red, "Not just "No", but "Hell No" stamp on his medical license. But in your universe House is always, eventually, right. And while these big risks he wants to pull could very likely lead to a patient's death that's never happened with House. Every patient he has lost over the course of this series was lost for a reason other than House's way of practicing medicine. There's a couple "almosts" in there that were caused by House being forced to detox immediately during the Tritter arc and times when the patient held a crucial piece of information from House and/or he simply missed some detail. A patient has never died under House's care because he wanted to take some needless risk.

Besides, the "odds" were in the patient's favor. It was an 80% chance of death if he took the course of treatment House was recommending, there was 100% chance of death if the patient did nothing. So, what did House do wrong?

Ugh. Get over it Cuddy.

17. Christopher

Rather, she played a law student working her way through college as a call girl.

She was also the voice of Mercy Graves, Lex Luthor's aide/chauffeur/assassin, in the DC Animated Universe.

(Hmm. Wouldn't a female chauffeur be a chauffeuse?)

18. Trekker4747

I think that's the name of some Frenchy hair treatment.

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I don't hate Thirteen. I just have zero hope that her character would add anything to the show. I would rather they kept 3M or just got a new character.

20. Trekker4747

I'll admit that M^3 has shown more "promise" and potential as a character in three episodes than Thirteen has in a long time, probably ever, she also offers a nice dynamic to the group in the DDx and as a nice wall of Truth for House to beat his head on.

At the same time, Olivia Wilde has almost flawless beauty. ;)