Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1st

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shilliam Watner, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Considering that they are a tax, not a fine, according to the Supreme Court, not too bad.

2. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

It's Faux News. If they said the sky was blue, I'd look out the window before believing them.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm required to sign up for not such thing. I *am* required to have health insurance, which I do through my employer.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Nice to see the profoundly incorrect OP didn't get away with anything here.

Go Obamacare! :techman:

By the way, my insurance rate went down this year.

5. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I love that any premium increase this year, as if premiums don't normally go up and as if premiums aren't increasing by a significantly lower rate under Obama (for a number of reasons) than they have at any point since we've started tracking such things, are the fault of ObamaCare.

It's laughable, but The Affordable Care Act is an easy scapegoat for now.

6. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I did the thing in the link. It said: "You will not be eligible for subsidies in the exchanges because your income is below 100% of the federal poverty level." My gross taxable income for this year is about $3,000. The rest of my income is a Pell grant and student loans, and don't count. Being a college student under 40, I'm not eligible for certain programs that would otherwise be open to those at my income level.

Although, the college student thing isn't factored into that website... How the fuck am I too poor for subsidies?

Deciding to live off student loans was a calculated risk. Yeah, there's some bullshit when it comes to things like health insurance, but overall I feel it's the best option for me. Every job I've had insists that I put that job first. My last one, the manager that was there when I started understood that college was more important than a barely above minimum wage hotel maintenance job. He even let me create my own schedule and adjust it at will if I gave at least 24 hours notice. Then, that manager got fired, the new manager cut my hours significantly (30 hours a week down to ten) and told me I could have them back if I quit school. Yeah, like I'm going to give up my future for a shitty $8-an-hour part-time job. With my current plan I'll eventually have a Ph. D., be about $50,000 in debt, and not have to deal with job/school conflicts. Hell, I'd rather have five or six times that amount of debt and a Ph. D. than making $10 an hour the rest of my life. There are negative consequences, and I'm willing to accept them, but accepting a consequence and accepting consequences with a smile on my face are two different things.

7. IndyJones

I'm sorry for that. If Rick Snyder expanded the Medicaid rolls then you could get on then, and I guess the law didn't account for the spitefulness of GOP Governors. But that's really on the Governors and no one else.

I hope that Snyder realizes pretty quickly that he's endangering the lives of his citizens and changes course, damn the politics.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Kommander, are you really saying that in MI, being below the Federal poverty level isn't poor enough to make you eligible for Medicaid? That's outrageous!

9. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Birther? No, I prefer to be called a Constitution originalist. And my signature is a good question. Would you care to answer it?

10. IndyJones

No sane person would legitimately ask that question. Anything else you've asserted here is diminished by that, you do realize that, don't you?

Extra credit question: Do you think that Sen Ted Cruz is eligible to run for President?

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Would Shilliam Watner care to answer all the questions raised by people here that completely destroyed his original post?

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, sure. I'll read something from Fox News. And I'll believe every word. :rommie:

I hope you do. :( You should contact them and talk to somebody about it. Hopefully there's a way to take individual circumstances into account.

That sounds more optimistic. I hope that turns out to be true.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

He would be if his state's governor had actually implemented the ACA. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court made the Medicaid expansion "optional," so people like Kommander get screwed. Under normal circumstances, Congress could find a way to adjust the law to fix this, but these are far from normal circumstances.

Goddammit, I forgot what forum I was in. Sorry, Shilliam. I'll only talk to you that way in TNZ.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  15. Shilliam Watner

16. Shilliam Watner

The British Nationality Act of 1948 governed Obama''s birth status when he was born. It was stated on his campaign website back in 2008. As for Cruz, no he is not eligible for Article 2 Section 1. From his 'Fight The Smears campaign website:

"When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children.

17. Shilliam Watner

Politifact has been found to be extremely biased towards the left. Not a good reliable source.

18. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

That they are constitutional.

Reality shares the same bias.

19. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

We really hate people who can't use quote tags correctly.

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obama never made the claim your sig asserts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.