Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TBH, I don't mind them cutting a few bits out for DLC, providing that they expand on it, which is what the Omega DLC sounds like.

The Citadel DLC - I'm still not sure on this. The most obvious plot would be that you play someone like Bailey during the Cerberus/Reaper invasion at the end of the game. However, with one small exception aside (Joker in ME2), you've ALWAYS played as Shepard.

I just hope that all of the remaining DLC isn't just mid-game content. Citadel DLC would fill an obvious POV gap from the main game, plus might impact and/or overflow with the ending(s).

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That depends. I'd rather have a big post-finale DLC, but a smaller in-product mission if the DLC is going to be a flashback. :p

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That would be interesting and as you say, not unprecedented. Honestly though, it would have been nice to just see a few cutscenes showing the fall of the Citadel. I don't need to play as Bailey fighting off husks to get that. Besides, it'd be a bit of an awkward fit in terms of pacing. Even in ME1 we got to see things that Shepard didn't; Saren & Benezia post Eden Prime, Anderson laying out Udina and Sovereign's attack on the Citadel spring to mind.

Post-finale? No thanks. The endings are what they are and I think they're about done adding to them in any substantial way. Personally I'm all for more mid-game content. Anything to add more scope to a galaxy wide war that we mostly only got to hear about.

This is actually what really disappointed me about Allers. Even before she'd been announced I had thought having an embedded reporter (either Wong or al-Jilani depending how how you treated them in the past) on the Normandy would be a great way to see what else was going on out there. The idea being that there'd be periodic newscasts that would vary depending on your actions, in the game and from imported plot flags. What a shame they made up a new character, cast a non-actor to play her and made her a totally useless waste of pixels.

P.S. Words fail me.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd find midgame content more compelling if I ever expected to replay the game. Right now I suspect any future playthroughs will stop after ME1.

5. Angel4576

Written by Mac Walters. Nope.

Re Allers - agree, what a waste of a character and development resource. So, Allers fully modeled - Tali's face, a photoshop stock image. Although I enjoyed ME3 overall, there were some really lame decisions made re certain aspects of the game.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Has anyone tried fighting the Collectors on Platinum yet? Jeebus H.Krishna is it ever difficult! My team never even made it to round three!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. Angel4576

Mike Gamble's confirmed that the Collectors will not feature in the Omega SP DLC.

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

^ That's a shame. I was hoping they might make an appearance. Maybe future dlc. I can't imagine they'd bring them only to MP.

And Reverend, you are a braver man than I, unless I've had a great team, taking down the collectors on bronze has been a challenge. Got sandwiched between 2 Praetorians, at least 3 Scions and a lot of troopers last night. Plus, I had to carry a package to the landing zone. Went through all my medigel in less than a minute and failed the mission.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I've beaten them on gold ONCE only, and I'm pretty sure I was the weakest player on the team. Silver is challenging but doable and I almost never play on bronze since I very rarely promote and a lv20 on bronze is just too easy and not very fair to lower level players.

And yeah, I'm a little surprised the collectors aren't showing up on Omega. Oh well, looks like it'll be fighting Cerberus all the way...though I can't say as I'm looking forward to tackling those Dragoons. Liara is going to get obliterated!

But still, it'd be nice to at least got a canon reason why the collectors are suddenly back and more formidable after spending a whole game supposedly wiping them out. I mean part of the appeal of MP is that you can pretend that your Shepard and the Normandy is out there too. Someone should at least write Shep a memo...

Indeed, I rather wish they'd integrate SP and MP a little more. Like for example instead of just having Shep clear a MP map there could be some missions where you have to help extract a team. Not an actual MP match in progress since that'd be too cumbersome to implement, but just a SP mission where the allied defenders are a random assortment taken from your own stable of MP characters. Or maybe just some procedurally generated after action reports via email or Liara's terminal, based off of your MP matches. Just something other than meaningless war asset points!

P.S. Apparently there's a new paid SP DLC weapons pack out. I think I'll pass.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  10. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

I typically play on bronze, but seeing how I've managed to survive a few silver (Cerberus) matches now, maybe I'll move up. Plus, I need more credits to start buying Spectre packs to get new stuff. :lol:

Anyone tried to solo a match? I was able to get to wave 10 on bronze once before getting caught trying to haul something back to the drop off zone. It was touch and go for most of the later waves.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I did a few solo bronze matches with reapers. Honestly I didn't find it much fun, especially on the later waves since you have to do a lot of kiting to keep wear down the banshees.

Honestly gold isn't that hard so long as you have a well balanced and capable team...unless you're up against collectors in which case you're in for a fight!

It helps that I have some pretty good builds. My Asari vanguard is a wrecking ball on legs.;)

12. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Damn those Collectors are tough! Had no luck at all on Gold against them, much less Platinum. But nice to have some new enemies, was getting sick of facing the same mob time and again.

13. Angel4576

Shepard confirmed by BW NOT to be in ME4.

Oh well, there goes my last shred of interest I guess. :(

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's exactly what BioWare has been saying since Mass Effect 3 was officially announced. ME3 was always the end of Shepard's story. They've never given any "wiggle room" that Shepard would be in future games.

15. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I'm fine with Shepard's story ending, (wish the endings had been better, but that's an old argument by now) I'm just curious what format ME4 will take, future, past, concurrent. Given the wealth of other great characters in the series and long life spans of some of the species, Asari and Krogan, I'd hope that if they did a little ways into the future, some of the characters could return.

16. Angel4576

TBF BW said a lot before ME3 was released, some of which has come true, some not.

By itself I'm fine with Shepard's story ending, if it's a satisfying end. ME3's end didn't work for me at all. It does for many people, and good luck to them, but personally, I don't really want to invest in something else that may well take 5 years and hundreds of hours of play, only to deliver me ultimate disappointment. Again.

The only other thing that's been confirmed so far about the next game is that you WILL play a soldier again. No word of prequal, side-qual or sequal, and probably won't be for some time to come. Their teams are still 'reviewing the feedback' from fans.

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

No, not even that is confirmed. Nothing is confirmed except that a fourth game is in the planning stages. Links, by the way, are handy when we're claiming that things have been "confirmed."

18. Angel4576

Yeah, apologies. I took that out of context.

To be honest, I became less interested the more I read.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

First of all, for the record I'm not fine with how Shepard's story ended, but I can accept that it *is* ended. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Secondly, I'm glad to hear that they're not just going to make the next game about another soldier saving the universe. Indeed, my preference would be for a smaller scale, more personal story with a much less military setting. Think 'Firefly', or 'Cowboy Bebop'. A small crew and a rusty old ship operating just outside the law. That kind of thing.

As for the "when and where", I think while there's certainly room for prequels, I'd rather see what the future has in-store for the galaxy we spent 3 games saving. Of course this means they'd have to pick a canon ending, but that's fine since "destroy" is the only viable choice. I mean Control and Synthesis are respectively a stagnant dystopia where the only antagonist can be cyber-Shep and her fleet of reaper drones (been there, space-magic'ed that) and a boring utopia where everyone glows green and shares happy-happy thoughts forever.

The way I see it, with Destroy the galaxy is free, but without certainty. The old infrastructure that was "Citadel Space" is smashed, most of the major homeworlds are in need of the kind of rebuilding that takes generations and there is massive numbers of displaced populations all over the galaxy. So lots of new colonies, old relays being opened and new ones being built, opening up unexplored clusters and a flood of new races to the galactic community. A real "wild west" of a galaxy.

I also see a lot of new powers rising out of the ashes, with a lot of the minor powers in the Terminus Systems left largely unharmed taking advantage of the power vacuum. I see Tuchanka and Rannoch becoming the new bastions of civilization-the first to rebuild anyway. Perhaps by this time the Spectres have become something more akin to the Justicars. Less of a black-ops organization and more of an order of guardians.

I think I'd also like it if Earth is a burnt husk of a planet, no longer able to support the majority of humanity.

20. Angel4576

If you believe Gamble and Merizan, synthesis is the preferred canon ending within BW. You can only hope that there's a change of heart between now and the next game.