The Night Crew

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JonathonWally, Sep 2, 2008.

1. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I distinctly remember PMing you in the past when we were setting some of them up.

The next time one is attempted, You'll get an invite pronto!

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Oh dear. I don't remember this at all. Of course, I was very new to the board at that time and was likely intimidated.

3. JonathonWally

I can't remember when the last official one was. But I'm going to talk to the old group and maybe post something in the meet-up thread for something this fall.

All I know is if I even dare to suggest the tree lighting, they'll have my head after the last debacle when I tried to set that up and.... ya. My bad on that one.

4. thestrangequark

Yeah, that sounds kinda doomed from the start. :)

Here's the "Little Dancer" I just drew. She's a bit out of proportion to the statue, but a nice way to spend the wee hours nevertheless:
    [​IMG]

5. JonathonWally

Ya, after battling crowds and stuff, we went to the movies and then went for dinner.

Great drawing, love the detail and shading!

6. thestrangequark

Thank you! Perhaps she is the Little Dancer aged seven instead of fourteen. :)
    For the night thread this is a bit slow. Do we have to wait for 1am Mountain Time or something?

7. JonathonWally

I don't know, maybe RoJo and Gep fell alseep or went out tonight.

8. thestrangequark

On a Wednesday? Blast them! Well, what are you up to in between postings?

9. JonathonWally

I'm writing some stuff, while I have the music going. You?

10. thestrangequark

I'm trying to pace myself with my book. I've come to the section entitled "Hurcule Poirot Sits Back and Thinks", and so I thought perhaps I'd give my own intellect a go and try to work out the murderer(s) instead of just rushing through the rest of the book. But that means I have to find something else to occupy my time until I become drowsy.

Oh, and what are you listening to?

11. JonathonWally

I just made some fresh coffee and now I'm taking cues from things around me and incorporating them into purple prose. It's one of the silly writing exercises I do.

It's funny you mentioned your book, I was reading my book the other day and came across one of the most brilliant (IMO) things ever and I'm still reflecting on it.

12. thestrangequark

Well, don't keep us in suspense now!

13. JonathonWally

Ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?

14. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They still happen, just organised through another site. Generally I get an email about it, but they are organised slightly different to meetups here. The last one I organised (when the Cheeky Drama Queen was coming to Sydney). I was there at the time, but can't remember when he told me he was coming up.

There is another planned at the moment, I'll wait until later next month, if I'll actually go or not.

15. thestrangequark

...Can't say that I have, no.

16. JonathonWally

It's a unigue view on the author's philosophy. One of the main concerns is the approach to owning and riding a motorcycle. Discussing 2 different views, fixing your own bike, and having someone else fix it for you. And delves into those approaches to life in general.

But this one part, they're taking a ride through the countryside and he starts to go into what it's like having a conversation with someone. Specifically, greetings.

He says, too many people say "whats new" when talking to someone. And he says that "what's new" can be both good and bad, since both things happen to people. And he suggests instead to ask "What's good" as that's a much better question to start off with and direct the conversation in a positive flow.

I've been pretty floored by it for over a week now. Changing just that one word, and it's such a profound difference.

17. thestrangequark

^Interesting. And here I am with my Agatha Christie -- hardly philosophical. But lots of fun!

To tell the truth, philosophy in general isn't my thing, except, perhaps in the realm of AI. I just get quite bored with it all -- is that horribly shallow?

18. JonathonWally

Not at all, I find it pretty dull too, until I picked up this book after a few recommendations from friends, and it's nothing like the boring classes I remember sitting through for hours upon hours.

It's an amazing practical view of things.

And, Agatha Christie is brilliant. I was reading straight fiction all summer, re-reading some favorites like Neuromancer but then picked this one up after a bunch of people told me too.

19. thestrangequark

^Well, there you go then. It'd be no good for me. I am determinedly impractical!

Perhaps that's why I can't pin the murder on anyone.
    Edit: Oh, yes, I do love Christie. I watched the episode of Doctor Who with Agatha Christie (which I thought was brilliant despite some controversy). I'd heard that the titles of her books were hidden in the dialogue, and rewatched it in hopes of picking them all out. It made me realize how little of her work I've actually read! It was incredible fun finding all the book titles, though.

20. JonathonWally

i didn't know they were hidden, I admit, I didn't watch that episode with the same watchful eye as I did with "Turn Left" but now I want to go back and pay closer attention.