I think it's about time for CBS Paramount to ...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by kwilliamsjr, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To the Op, Ignore the grumpy rude trolls. Welcome to the board.

I remember product placement in Babylon 5. ZIMA signs. But then again, ZIMA isnt around anymore.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Grumpy and rude? Perhaps you missed my hilariously funny Marketing 101 joke.

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any marketing ploy that keeps STAR TREK on the small screen, I'm all for. If the ENTERPRISE wants to go on a Caravan of Courage to find Teddy Bears who've taken over a Human colony and now wear T-Shirts with corporate logos, or make items out of Coke & Pepsi bottles ... what the hell? Why not? I'm not put off by that, at all. It's certainly different, I mean ... if STARBUCKS wants to flip the bill for my favourite show, I don't mind seeing Uhura or somebody walking out of the messhall with a cup. Maybe in another 50 years, when STARBUCKS has gone the way of the Dodo, people watching will joke about the cups or logos or whatever. We can't be concerned with that, right now. Say what you want about Rick Berman he understood one thing the fans DO all have in common and he knew it very well: We want more STAR TREK. More ...

4. Mycroft Maxwell

If there is franchise fatigue....why do I want more NON-BAd Robot trek?

I have never gotten tired of new Star Trek. Some of it is un-rewatchable (like most of Voyager) but I never got tired of a new star trek episode or movie.

I think it be neat for a Playmates product placement on a toy starship or a AMT product placement of a ship model in someones quarters or something.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

As in on the good old TV set and not a movie theater. A couple of dozen episodes a year, not one every four years.

You know, true Star Trek.

Like the DY-100 model in the background of Rain Robinson's lab, and it just happen to be available on the internet?

:)

6. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

OT but slightly related to certain aspects of this discussion: And yet in Alien Resurrection, Weylan Yutani got bought out by Wal-Mart....some 300/400 years after Wal-Mart's 20th century start of evil reign. LOL!

Wayyy OT: Now I have to figure...

Let's see...

Prometheus takes place in the late 21st Century.
    Alien....very early 22nd Century
    Aliens...latter mid 22nd Century
    Alien 3...latter mid 22nd Century
    Alien Resurrection...24th Century (as I believe it takes place some 200 years after Alien 3.)

Ok...back to topic. :D

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I really don't know...

Yeah, I'd like a series, but I'm not going to denigrate the movies by calling them "False" Trek, or whatever. If you don't like them, nobody's forcing you to watch them, but there's no reason to crap on others' good times. Which I'm not saying is what you're doing, but other posters certainly have done that in the past, and it would be great if it would just stop.

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Memory Alpha has an article on product placement:

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And 2001: A Space Odyssey had signs for Bell Telephone (which changed its logo shortly after the film came out), Howard Johnson's, and most notably Pan American, which went out of business before 2001.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's all LIES!!! STAR TREK is PURE!!! :rofl:

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Shut up and have a Budweiser! It's the way of the future!

13. Mycroft Maxwell

Dont forget that Commodore 64 in Kirks appartment in Star Trek II

14. BillJ

Also Chevrolet, the logo is clearly visible on the front of Gillian's truck. :techman:

15. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

It would help you to know that I completely disregard nuTrek as Star Trek.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could you point that out in a screencap or something?

17. BillJ

But you're talking to a bunch of people who do consider the Abrams films as "Star Trek". Besides, Star Trek has had product placement before.

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Product placement doesn't bother me a bit. If it's done right, i.e. a bit tongue-in-cheek, it can be a source of trivia fun.

Example: Chuck made great use of the Subway and Toyota sponsorships that helped to keep the series on the air. Remember Summer Glau wielding her weapon of choice to slice through a 12" Black Forest ham with chipotle sauce, banana peppers and jalapenos? ;)

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In the first pilot, Captain Pike had a very ordinary 1960's television in his quarters.

Unless that was something the set designers created, it was probably a real TV. Given that one of the selling points of Star Trek was to help market color TV's, the TV was likely there very deliberately.

Product placement.

:)

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Pike's TV was still futuristic for me when I was a kid in the 80s. I mean, just imagine -- a TV which doesn't need tin foil wrapped around the antenna!