Lieutenant Leslie: Star Trek's very own Mementic Badass

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lance, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Watching the whole TOS series now. I catch myself constantly looking for Leslie!

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

When did Leslie die?

3. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the mass redshirt bloodbath with the cloud creature (''Obsession'') http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsession_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

He got better :)

4. Hober Mallow

"It's only a flesh wound."

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, the thing which makes his death in Obsession so interesting is that Kirk actually refers to him by name as 'Leslie' earlier in the scene, so even if we hypothesize that Eddie Paskey has got a knack of playing multiple non-descript background roles, not all of them necessarily Lieutenant Leslie, then one thing we can say for certain is that that character who dies in that episode is definitely Mister Leslie. ;)

Does he actually get directly identified as Leslie in any of his subsequent appearances?

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Kirk calls him by name in The Return of The Archons.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Memory Alpha says that there was a scene in the script where Leslie was to be revived by some miracle drug, but the scene was never filmed.

8. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ultimate Computer. Right at the start, Kirk brushes him off : "Not now, Leslie."

So, either the world's greatest redshirt survived (I recall Eddie Paskey once spoke of a cut scene where Bones cures the redshirts in Obsession), or...there were Leslie twins on board :)

9. Lance

I know how McCoy could have done that:

"Jim, you remember that blood sample I took from Khan when I we found the Botany Bay floating in space last year? I just used it in a transfusion on Mister Leslie, and I'll be darned if it didn't just bring him back from the dead!"

:D

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mr. Leslie is a major badass.

Mr. Leslie could slam the ship's pneumatic sliding doors.

Mr. Leslie terrified Redjac.

When Charlie Evans tried to send Mr. Leslie into the corn field, it was Charlie who vanished.

Mr. Leslie makes Horta's crap silicon nodules.

If you shoot Mr. Leslie, your phaser disintegrates.

That's how badass Mr. Leslie is...

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Mr. Leslie is the only man who told Kirk to his face that he was committing mutiny and that he'd better get used to it.

12. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Yes, they were apparently twins and "Assignment Earth" proves that.

During Kirk's shipwide announcement we first see Lt. Leslie in a corridor and in a command division uniform.

Seconds later, we see him in the engine room wearing a red overall.

Because this episode features no stardate, events could have happened prior to "Obsession", alternately and production order-wise we might be looking at - triplets! :eek:

Bob

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

This thread is awesome.

That is another great thing about Trek fans. Even background extras get their day in the sun.

And kudos to Mr. Leslie.

I wonder if TNG, DS9, or VOY have comparable crewmembers.

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My son is always pointing out a brown haired woman who shows up in many TNG episodes. Trying to find a screen cap of her.

But nobody will ever match the omnipresent Mr. Rand Connors Leslie.

15. Hober Mallow

Yep. Meet Lt. Jae.

I remember a guy with dark hair at the conn in the early seasons whom Picard once called "Mr. Barry."

16. Lance

TNG had a whole rostrum of immediately identifiable, regular-as-clockwork 'background artistes' who spanned the entire gamult from Season 1 right through. The character of Diana Giddings being a notable example (her appearances, especially in season one wearing the skant, have got an almost Leslie-like ubiquity to them. :))

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Diana_Giddings

17. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

The skant harkens back to the TOS-era female miniskirt uniform, at least when worn by a female crewmember.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

O'Brien started out as a nameless background player who switched uniforms and specialties as needed.

19. Hober Mallow

Meany once joked that his original name in the "Farpoint" script was ND -- "non-descript."

The guy who played Carey on VOY played a tactical ensign in TNG's "Justice," so it's posible Carey served aboard the Enterprise-D.

Here's Lieutenant Darien Wallace. Somehow I never noticed this guy at all. Guess I was too busy looking at Lieutenant Jae.

Couldn't find "Mr. Barry" anywhere. I think I was thinking of this guy, Mr. Bennett.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not saying this to stir the pot, or anything like that, but I always thought Lieutenant Leslie looked like an asshole. He shows up and I expect him to be starting shit, everywhere he went. But he even drove the bus, one time, that I can recall - taking over for Sulu, I think, when Sulu was left in command. At least they threw the guy a line, or two, as he certainly was around, alot, to help fill out the background and finding stuff to do, in a moment ...