What is Carol's official position on the five-year mission?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gsam, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: WHAT IS CAROL'S OFFICIAL POSITION ON THE FIVE YEAR MISSION?

Being a redshirt isn't as dangerous if your character shield is good enough, just ask Chekov.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'd be okay if she was just a science officer or perhaps deputy science officer (if she really needed a title). Instead of having Chekov fill in for Spock when he was away from the bridge sciences station in TOS, it'd be Carol now.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Carol's position on the five-year-mission:

She's at her duty station, sitting down, and facing front.

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. The real question is "how much better?"

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: WHAT IS CAROL'S OFFICIAL POSITION ON THE FIVE YEAR MISSION?

I think red was ship security and weapons in TOS. Security Chief Giotto wore red in "Devil in the Dark". Chief engineer Olson was the one given the explosives in ST09. Although the uniforms were different by TUC, Scotty seemed to be in charge of noting the photon torpedo complement. Scotty was the one who had to sign off on the torpedoes in STID. Of course, it could be since gold shirts are probably trained in weapons strategy and tactics as part of command training, they would be the bridge officers in charge of weaponry. Being a scientist (probably an engineer in at least some capacity) specializing in weapons development, it seemed to me Marcus's best fit was with the red shirts.

Then again, the colors were sometimes problematic, Spock was first officer but always wore sciences blue. Scotty was third in command but was in the engineering division. It could be when an officer's training crossed divisions, the color he or she wore was the officer's prerogative, or the color fit with the officer's primary duties aboard the ship, not the secondary ones.

To an extent, we're also trying to explain inconsistencies (phaser crew in gold in BOT) that the producers of TOS probably didn't give much thought to at the time. Then again, as fans, that's part of our job. ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You're assuming that security and weapons are the same thing. Giotto was security chief, but I don't think he was ever mention of as being in charge of weapons.

Carol is a physicist, not an engineer.

7. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Why should we have to do any better than the movie did her? These comments all meet the bar that the movie set; indeed, were directly inspired by the movie. How they handled Bibi Besch's character and her portrayal had class.

Someone above said she'd be under Spock. I beg to differ. I'd say it's under Kirk most of the time.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You're* not in the movie; you're* in this forum, and I expect better. Your* opinions about the treatment of a particular detail or character in the movie have no bearing on that.

Also: you're** grandstanding again. We've talked about that, and you** know you're** not supposed to do it.

--------------------------
    * General "you," not personal.
    ** Personal "you," not general.

9. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I like Carol's skin as much as the next guy. But when you grow up you learn to be more subtle. It seems the writers had not gotten past the stage where blatant staring, so to speak, is de rigueur. They, at least, could have expected such reactions at the character's and actress's expense. The jokes seem to me to be a natural consequence of it, and the topic title seems to beg for it.

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A major chunk of the Enterprise's mission is scientific research. She'd be a science officer assigned to the physical sciences division who would do rotations on bridge duty, research, engineering maintenance, and landing party duty. Simples.

11. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

She will definitely be working "under" the Captain, whatever her actual title...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.