New Possible Spoiler for Harrison and One Other Possible Big Spoiler

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Re: New Possible Spoiler for Harrison and One Other Possible Big Spoil

Maybe in this timeline it's Kirk who ends up in the beep-beep-blink-blink chair instead of Pike!

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That stuff sounds pretty good, dude. That possible read on Harrison's name is a good catch.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Ah, I see.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, what little we've been shown of that aspect of the movie certainly is very reminiscent of Skyfall - and to a lesser degree, Whedon's Avengers.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I like a lot of your speculation, but this part, if true, is pretty annoying. It's not like the Genesis device is going to reconstruct Vulcan's culture, just the physical aspects of the planet. And it would seem an illogical use of resources to do that when there are plenty of type M planets (even in the AbramsVerse.) Creating a duplicate of Vulcan for 10,000 Vulcans is about like spending planet-sized resources to make Superman his fortress of solitude echo his long-dead home, and for far less gain, if any.

Not saying it isn't true, but if so, it shows something about the writers and the reset button mentality, which seems to be a reset that is not mindful of context.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How many characters from Trek have died and been born again? I've lost count.
    Having said that, I find it unlikely they'd drop Pine from the lineup. He and ZQ are carrying this franchise and doing it fairly well so far.

But still... no one stays dead in the Trekuniverse, JJ or Prime. Trek Zombies are everywhere: Tasha Yar, Spock, Jennifer Sisko, Trip, etc. they're all just a quantum flux inverter away from reappearing to stir frantic emotions in the rest of the living cast. And according to TNG's Parallels there is an infinite number of universes from which to plunder replacement heroes.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk doesn't die in this movie.

8. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Although I'm sure Cumberbatch is Khan, there is nothing about this spoiler that couldn't be gleaned from the various teaser trailers and photos, including the Vulcan salute through the plexiglass.

9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No offense, but this sounds incredibly fan-wanky. While I agree that it's possible Marcus (and maybe April, if he actually has anything to do with this film) found the Botany Bay, I sincerely doubt Ceti Alpha will appear in this movie... unless you accept the idea that Marcus et al. banished Khan and his followers there, and Carol Marcus just happened to choose that planet to test a weapon, etc..., at which point movie goers will say "If they wanted to do STII, why not just show us the original??"

I will say this: "kudos" to Bad Robot for playing a huge mind game with us. The Khan idea has been raised and shot down so many times that one can read this "BIG SPOILER" and have no idea if it's true or not. Whether it's really Khan, or NOT Khan, we're still guaranteed to be surprised. No one's going to take them to court for lying. Well played, JJ.

10. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I think Locutus of Bored may be fairly close alright, though I agree the specific inclusion of Ceti Alpha Whichever isn't too likely.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Unless the choice of planet for the test wasn't random, and her father specifically sent her there to unknowingly (on her part) deal with the potential threat of Khan and his followers.

The Ceti Alpha thing isn't really important to the overall idea, it was just a vibe I got from that shot in the trailer of Harrison looking over the desolate planet as he talks about the Starfleet leadership's crimes (at least, I think that was the sequence of events). Any planet would do the trick, though.

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that desolate area was on Kronos. At least that's how it's captioned over at Trekmovie.com's shot-by-shot description of the trailer. Of course, they're probably guessing, too. The link is below, just scroll down to the picture in question.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/03/21/sho...tar-trek-into-darkness-international-trailer/

I certainly hope Admiral Marcus isn't involved in this in some way as a bad guy. We've seen too many "bad officers" in Trek. Of course, he could be the person or one of the persons responsible for the "crime" Harrison says was committed (or course, the "crime" is probably a gray issue, too).

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Hmmm. I hadn't seen that shot-by-shot trailer breakdown before. That's certainly a new look for Qo'noS if they're correct. Thanks for the info. :techman:

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

We haven't in nuTrek, which is all that really matters here.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping the brass are better behaved as a rule in this universe. ;)

16. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh - if I hve one criticism of Trek generally is that the Federation and its officers are always protrayed as the good guys - they are the proverbial "goodie two shoes," of the Alpha Quadrant whereas the non-human aliens are alway the bad guys.

Save section 31 and admiral what's his name in DS9 who tries to take control of earth, mostly Federaiton folks are always the one's that save the day and are always trying to do, "right," by everyone else whereas the Romulans, Caradassians, Klingons are the one's with utterly corrupt societies.

The Federation - like any large organization - like the US military would have good guys, bad guys, and middle of the ground guys.

A great historical example for the US military would be General Patton who is is widely regarded as a great general but one son of a bitch and could be downright evil at times - to even his own troops..

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I have the opposite viewpoint, actually...that the Federation isn't good enough. ;)

This is not intended as a criticism or slam of STID. If there are any 'evil admirals', then there's also good ones, like Pike. Which is fine. I just hope that the Federation doesn't turn into 'Section 31 writ large' or anything like that...

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Whatever...not much longer now.

19. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

John Harrison might be a Khan, but not the same Khan that Kirk faces in the prime universe. If you look it up? If Khan is in front of a person name. It is a title, like high price, King, supreme general and lord of lord.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I highly doubt that they would bother having Harrison call himself Khan unless he was THE Khan that we're all familiar with.