The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I was crossing my fingers that they would at least do THAT much. I never expected them to actually remaster and re-edit the entire freakin series.

The fact that they are is still kind of mindblowing to me.

2. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Exactly! I had the same mindset prior to TOS-R. I thought they would do a few shows, maybe air them as a special on CBS for some anniversary and that would be it. To do all 79 was amazing, and now to do all 179 for TNG is really something special.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

We have been incredibly lucky so far. Let's hope that luck holds!

4. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still have high hopes that this episode will have better on screen action. Q Who is another one I'd like to see have better action. Where no one has gone before has such awesome FX to begin with, this one I would not mind if they just remaster to HD as is. Anything extra will be gravy.

5. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doing a nested quote of a huge wall of text just to repeat your standard line, really? :confused:

6. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry I got lazy and just clicked on "Quote" :cool:

7. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes and no for me, clearly some of the model work on TNG was "Cheap" model work. ANd I want the original shots (warts and all and they have plenty), but if they had wanted to work on complete reused shots, then I want a higher quality of work then what CBS produced for TOS. Now a lot of their flybys, orbit shots, ect were designed well, but the render of them was horrible. The more active shots were terrible. The location shots were beautiful (go figure). Now if they actually treated these like a new show, with quality (tv wise) CGI, then I wouldn't mind them redoing some stock shots. But I seriously doubt CBS is willing to spend the money to do so.

I mean seriously the matte painting at the start of Sins of the Father ( nice image, but terrible in what is supposed to be a moving shot). If that is their attempt to redo old effects it was awful.

Now the warp shot in Inner Light I actually really like, but can't wait to see the original (in the 80 or so episodes it appears) to compare.

But look at what we have got, model work that shows what the model was capable of (it still needs work and has flaws), a much richer and balanced picture and color for live shots, sound that is so much better then how I originally listen to it.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's naive to think this is being done for blu-ray sales. This is being done to keep the show's format competitive in all aspects of video distribution, whether blue-ray, HD broadcast, digital cable or internet streaming.

9. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I think the effects work on 'Q Who' still holds up! If they just rescan it in I think think it'll be rad. That episode just *works*. I don't think it needs to be massively improved.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You don't have to live with it. You can watch the remastered episodes without the new FX. They are optional. :)

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You know what I never noticed before? Just as Kurn steps off the transporter pad at the start of Sins of the Father, you can totally see a bunch of wooden scaffolding above the wall of the set.

It was always there, but I guess the added quality helped the detail jump out at me. :)

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

There is much to be said for minimalism...especially in an episode like that where the stoic, terrifying solidarity of the Borg is communicated perfectly by how little effort they actually need to expend to control their prey. I think "flashing it up" would really undermine the quiet tension of this episode.

13. 22 Stars

I agree, those people who think it is being done just for Bluray are naive, I however, am not one of them. CBS is investing a lot of time and money on this project and I am very pleased that TNG is getting this treatment. I look forward to seeing it in true 1080p on Bluray, and then broadcast to a broader audience in 720 and 1080i and compressed 1080p through Netfilx, and syndicated outlets.

The point, my friend, is that few shows get this treatment, and we should recognize that this is special.

14. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

They aren't if you're watching on Netflix.

15. davejames

The only thing that might need to be improved is that Borg interior shot, where we pull back to see more of the hive. All it should really take is a small color correction though, to better blend together the set and painting.

But yeah, the actual Borg model and other effects in that episode hold up a lot better than I remembered.

16. 22 Stars

I am so happy with the model work and general fx work the crew did. They really did shoot stuff at near-feature quality. The size of the 6 foooter, and detail in the large Borg cube etc. show that they didn't skimp on the details.

Sure, with a different budget and less time constraints (and a 16x9 AR) TNG could really have looked like a feature every week, but Legato, Moore, Curry, Okuda and Sternbach did a fantastic job.

17. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Good eye. What's funny is that every time there's a live action shot with VFX, they use the larger image as on the DVD (actually even a bit more, just as you'd expect). Another example is when Riker, Data and Geordie are looking at an LCARS display on the bridge. But when the cut happens, they're back to the overly cropped image that plagues most of the episode.

Roughly 15% of the image is missing on most shots in the Blu-ray version of "Sins." "Encounter at Farpoint" and "The Inner Light" look just fine, for the most part. It has to be intentional. I just wonder why they didn't move some of the act one credits up in the frame back to the title safe area. Here are some screenshots of the problem:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=5768819&postcount=2805

You can also see screenshot comparisons here:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_verg...&image=2&cID=844&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  18. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Interesting, I had noticed that the credits seemed a bit too far down the screen but didn't pick up on the cropping for the rest of the episode!

19. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

20. davejames

Seems like a pretty minor issue to me. But then, I've never been as obsessed with the "whole image" thing like others here.

If we're talking about a Stanley Kubrick movie, where every shot is a carefully composed work of art, then of course. But not an episode of TNG.