The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 7.1 track, the DVD 2.0 audio, or both?

2. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

They really should let us the fans help out with crowdsourcing like mentioned in the thread started by Maxwell Everett. We would all love to help... Because we want it perfect.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you guys serious? That final scene always stood out to me for exactly that reason.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been praising these sets relentlessly since I got them (See my reviews of the brilliant Documentary that was 90+ minutes long) but these audio issues aren't minor problems. This are glaring flaws that took my enjoyment out of specific episodes. I'm just really hoping from something from CBS because I'm not sure if I can accept these sets at the $65 I paid for bad audio work.

Other than that, these sets have been extremely well done.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

You certainly can't expect Master Audio created from 25 year old TV source material to compete sonically with modern movies. But within that caveat, I do agree the mixes presented here (the correct ones that is) are not as good as they could be. Some of Picard's opening Logs are quite harsh on the ear for instance, and without any boastfulness, I have perfectly balanced levels/EQ on a quality system.

7. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never noticed how wrong the phaser perspective is in Conspiracy before.

I still can't say it was a lot of money. Cheaper than the DVDs were, with extensive restoration to pay for. If they'd charged more perhaps it could have covered more stages of QC and so forth.

8. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching the episodes in order and had not come across any audio issues until Haven, which I just finished.

There is definitely a problem. The audio is "hollow" or "tinny," as has been described.

There were times I was thinking it was getting better, or that I was getting used to it. But after coming into Haven from the previous episode, Hide & Q, it was quite apparent. And it was also very apparent during the holodek scene.

9. phil_g

phil_g Cadet Newbie

Here's a proof for that.
    A Screenshot of the Waveforms from S01E15 "11001001".
    The Center channel is duplicated in Left Front and Right Front.
    So the audio is parallelized and sounds kind of metallic with a slight reverb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I was in stereo at the time, but Haven sounded fine. It was the earlier eps and usually the Captain's Log that sounded like it was recorded in a bucket.

11. BriGuy

Anyone know how or where we can go to send emails to notify CBS that we are having problems with our sets, and to request information when they determine what will be offered for customers?

I went by the CBS Home Entertainment website, but when I brought up the Contact page, it was blank, in both Firefox and IE. Not sure if that was the right place to go, but it didn't work anyway.

I'll be very interested in getting my set replaced.

I can't believe they put so much time and effort into such a high-profile release, only to botch it like this.

12. BriGuy

I only had one choice of audio in English. For me, the earlier episodes all sounded fine; Haven was the first one where I immediately noticed a problem.

I'd seen the mentions of audio issues here, but honestly had not been listening or looking for problems. I've been watching just to enjoy the episodes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

:techman: Thanks for that. With this everyone can now plainly see how the dialogue was incorrectly added to the (already existing) left and right channels... they should really look more like the surround channels (LS & RS).

Just sit tight. CBS is aware of the problems... and they'll be sending out info soon (perhaps as early as tomorrow) on what kind of replacement program will be offered and how to take part. You can keep checking here, thedigitalbits.com or blu-ray.com for any updates.

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Per the documentary on disc one, they found the missing 13 seconds from Sins of the Father, and it will be properly restored in the Season Three set.

15. BriGuy

Will do. Would feel better about getting communication directly from the source, but I'm expecting it to be highlighted here.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm glad I held off buying this. I want it, but for now this seems just too prominent a screwup.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's not really that bad, annoying yes, but doesn't ruin the set. So far I only noticed an issue on 11001001. EAF seems fine. I haven't watched Haven yet. Yes, it's better if the problem is corrected, but with a surround system turned off its not even noticeable and my tv has 4 speakers to simulate surround and very good sound.

Also I have had no sync issues.

Having seen the possible replacement news, I will see how easy it will be to replace the set...and it'll probably wind up being a blip on the radar to most people in the long run in an otherwise amazing release.

Edit: I popped in Haven and it does sound pretty bad. It does appear that the digital stereo setting is mislabeled 2FRA, and it sounds better than the DTS Multi sounds. I would watch the episodes on this setting because the sound is still pretty awesome on this from the TV. Now I have to rewatch 11001001! What a chore!:bolian:

RAMA

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Would be cool if we could get an email contact @CBS.

During the Three Stooges remastered releases a couple years ago there was a contact at Sony that was very kind in replying to inquiries.

Though, they didn't have any serious problems that would have led to a over-abundance of inquiries like this might.

20. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

I agree with RAMA. It's annoying, but that's it. Overall I'm very pleased with the Blu-Ray release. I just finished "The Big Goodbye", so I'm about half-way through S1. I don't have the 7.1 surround setup like a lot of folks here, so I've been listening in stereo only through the TV and the sound has been fine, with the exception of "Haven", which even in stereo, was pretty bad at points.

I would expect most of the glitches to be corrected in the near future, though regardless of the issues (and I realize this is anecdotal) the TNG blu-ray discs seem to be selling like hotcakes. I went to Target and Best Buy this weekend. Target was complete sold out and BB only had a couple copies on the shelves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.