JJverse converts

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ronald Held, Jul 30, 2013.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Your post should be stamped across every frame of the NuTrek movies. :bolian:

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there certainly were things my parents or siblings watched that I didn't care for and never would. My mother and sisters were into things like Little House On the Prairie. You couldn't have gotten me to watch that even if my life were threatened.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:lol: :techman:

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

This is why I was glad my mom liked sci-fi. We'd watch the TOS reruns, Buck Rogers, and Battlestar Galactica (1978) together, then, when stuff she liked, like "Little House" would come on, it was usually time for me to go to bed. Or at least to my room, to read.

But, for the most part, we liked the same stuff.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still remember my mom indoctrinating me into Trek explaining the characters and stuff when they started airing the reruns. I don't know if I should thank her or blame her.;)

Together we watched Trek, Flash Gordon, Incredible Hulk, Man From Atlantis, Kung Fu. Not the worst mother when it came to TV...

6. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well of course I didn't like everything my parents liked. I just meant that I enjoyed things from the same era my parents and especially my grandparents did.

In fact I would argue I liked older things than my mom. I love silent films and my mom has no interest in them.

But as for genre I am pretty open. I think there is good and bad stuff in every genre.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the XI+ forum shows that the movies gave us plenty to talk about!

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Maybe it is the quality of conversation that is the issue here.

I mean, I don't see any threads over there that are deep philosophical ones like you might find on a BLADE RUNNER forum. I mean, does anybody here think Khan was a replicant?

But you've got a thread on the size of the ship (shouldn't that be in trek tech?) that could stretch across the whole bay by now. And if the makers had done their job right, it wouldn't even be an issue, and we could be bitching and gushing about storypoints or character development if any.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:rolleyes:

None of the Star Trek movies have been particularly deep, yet we keep talking about them. I've written whole dissertations on why Insurrection is a shitty movie.

Maybe you should find a board that discusses material that is more on par with your intellect.

It's a fictional spaceship. As much as I love the TOS Enterprise (I have a Diamond Select 1701 on my shelf), it's just a fictional spaceship. No one on the Abrams team did their job "wrong", they used the ship as a vehicle to tell a story. I suppose Matt Jefferies did his job "wrong" because we still debate details about that ship fifty years later?

You don't like the movie, I can respect that. What I can't respect is when you keep looking down your nose at people who do like it.

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A whooooooole lot of them can't. As a teacher if I show a film in black and white you'd think it was as bad as, oh, reading a book or something. I still do (Mr. Smith, Grapes of Wrath, and Bad Seed, all of which have most kids really digging 'em after awhile.

Stories are told differently now; dialog is much more conversational; and of course the production values. . . . Some people including kids (including my own, yay!) can dig old things. Shoot, my 15 year old LOVES TOS and Sinatra on vinyl. She's even on this BBS now. But many people, adults and kids alike just have too many stumbling blocks to enjoy the remnants of "the Old Ones."

I now shake my head and give a low, Ruk-like "Mmrrrhhrmmm...." and look of disappointment. But so it goes.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't care about Blade Runner, I care about Star Trek. The two movies have been discussed and nitpicked to death, on par with what's here and in the other subforums. The characters, the allegory, the tribute scene, Spock's godawful yell (surely this generation's "THE WOMAN!") the casting of Khan, S/U, what's coming next etc.
    And that's any different to the technical debates here how, exactly? We've had massive threads debating the accuracy of Franz Jospeh's blueprints and technical manual, questions raised about the location of the engine room, and going back a couple of years bitter arguments about which whether the bridge faces forward or is at an angle so the turbolift lines up with the rear blister.

If only those pesky makers did their job right... :p

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

THIS.

I too have ADD and Asperger's (diagnosed at the age of thirty-six), and I find that kind of inference highly insulting. If something's dated and doesn't work for people of the present, it won't work no matter how hard its boosters push it on people (the original Battlestar Galactica being a case in point.) I've had to hammer this into the heads of a ton of people at IMDB and Home Theater Forum (in particular the participants of one thread about older TV shows on DVD who don't get it that not all of the older shows are that great.) They just don't get it, and continue to say this despite that fact.

13. Mr. Hengist

Mr. Hengist Lieutenant Red Shirt

LOL. The attitude of people who simply don't care about cultural antecedents of current pop-culture (or even more serious culture) has nothing to do with your, their, or my own "personal preferences" as to a specific style, genre, or even a particular T.V. show such as TOS.

They're not interested in TOS, or "Casablanca," or the Odyssey, or the Iliad, or Bladerunner, or Forbidden Planet, or Betty Page, because they're dull, uneducated, ignorant, witless, uncaring, mediocrities who are simply looking for something to distract their brains for a while so as not to possibly actually have to think about something.

The fact that anyone thinks that they've

"had to hammer this into the heads of a ton of people at IMDB and Home Theater Forum (in particular the participants of one thread about older TV shows on DVD who don't get it that not all of the older shows are that great.) They just don't get it, and continue to say this despite that fact"

means anything other than that the person doing the hammering is the one who simply "doesn't get it," yet is too clueless to understand why no one else on said forum agrees with him--but of course he is smarter than anyone else, right?--basically "says it all."

Just because YOU don't see anything of value in an "old" tv series or other cultural artifact from the past, does NOT mean it is lacking in value. Maybe it's just a testament to your lack of perception. Feeling that it's your "job" to "hammer" other folks with your valuable opinions when they obviously disagree with you doesn't mean you're right, it just means you've been unpersuasive.

I wonder why.

I don't think anyone here is claiming "My Mother The Car" is great and worthy simply because it's an old t.v. show.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And people wonder why I'm embarrassed to be a TOS fan? :rolleyes:

Taste is subjective.

15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I don't like all the older shows out there. I think some are terrible. The two groups are not the same.

There's good and bad in every era, and almost every show has something of value. The only catch is that it's not of equal value to everyone.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We have a tendency to remember the good and forget the bad. Most of the stuff on television today I care nothing for. Back in the day...most of what was on television I cared nothing for either.

17. Mr. Hengist

Mr. Hengist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Which "people wonder" about your attitude towards anything?

Do you actually think other people care about your personal insecurities with respect to liking/disliking a television show from the 1960's?

Your sense of "embarrassment" is simply your own insecurity at actually liking a pretty good 1960's t.v. show which apparently contradicts your pretensions. But that's your issue, isn't it?

I mean it sounds pretty much like you feel the same sense of shame or embarrassment w/r/t liking TOS that a French chef who likes to secretly sneak Twinkies would feel about doing that.

The "eyeroll" says it all about your attitude, doesn't it? You think you're "better" than "the kind of people" who see something of value in TOS. Yet you like it all the same. And so you're embarrassed only because your actual tastes conflict with your pretensions.

You know what? You don't have to like TOS or anything else if you don't choose to--and no one else really cares. If you want to be a fan, be a fan. If you don't, don't.

That's not an excuse for equating taste with tastelessness.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

This is awfully personal.

Dial it back, please.

Thanks.

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

My kids couldn't care less about any Trek, JJ or otherwise. :)

20. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Well, the Geek is strong in my child: she loves role playing and has her own pull list at the local comic shop.